Century Coffee

CanWeGoYet?

Here to give my .02 on the coffee. I am here on board the century, and yes, the coffee really is THAT BAD. Woe to me for being hopeful and not packing french press / coffee from home.

My mom from Japan used to drink a tea called "hokocha." Sp? Anyway the coffee tastes half like coffee and half like that type of tea.

So good news / bad news : Yes, the coffee is as bad as reputed to be. The good news - if you can call it that - is that the espresso in the cova cafe is a stronger brew of the same swill. So I am not going to be tempted to run up my onboard bill. :p

Have a nice cruise. I did a TA on Century last year and had a great time except for going through coffee withdrawls! I too couldn't stand the ship's coffee.

The first thing we did when we made it to Europe was go from place to place drinking coffee! Even found a Starbucks in Paris. Next time I am bringing Starbucks' new instant coffee packets with.

Have a great crossing. :D

Anyway the coffee tastes half like coffee and half like that type of tea.

Branded by the company!

IS the ship right now on the way to Europe?!

Century is maybe a very nice ship to do the Atlantic!

I was hoping that the coffee situation had improved too. I was on the Century last Sept in the Western Med. I ended up going to the Cova Cafe at 7:30 am and having a coffee made to go. It did increase my onboard bill. It was ok for the pick-me-up I needed before getting off the ship each morning.

Next time I too will follow others advise and bring a french press and my own coffee!

Have a great crossing. I am sure your coffe in your first port will taste like heaven.:)

It must be me but I didn't think the coffee was bad at all. Of course, I put extra cream in mine, so maybe that covered it up. I know some ships got all new equipment that actually uses ground coffee versus a syrup. I thought Century had gone to that already but I could be wrong.

Have a nice cruise. I did a TA on Century last year and had a great time except for going through coffee withdrawls! I too couldn't stand the ship's coffee.

The first thing we did when we made it to Europe was go from place to place drinking coffee! Even found a Starbucks in Paris. Next time I am bringing Starbucks' new instant coffee packets with.

Have a great crossing. :D

Gonzo70 - know this is a little off the coffee issue but noticed you'd cruised several RCI ships as well as Celebrity Century, IYHO do you think Century is comparable to Radiance class ships(our favourite class)? We're considering Century for a Med cruise in October and are in two minds if the kids will enjoy it as much as RCI:confused:. I've read the reviews but they still don't highlight what sort of experience to expect. We're not really bothered about rock climbing walls and ice skating rinks but we do like good evening entertainment and a decent kids club. Is it mainly couples on Celebity? Would welcome your comments/feedback:). Thanks.

Thanks all for the well wishes on the cruise. It is my first crossing, and first time on celebrity.

I spoke to the maitre de about how stunningly bad the coffee was, and he said he would look into what is wrong. He didn't think it was coffee mixed with grains or whatever but from the taste I think it has to be. That or it is the cheapest, most stale stuff I have ever had. Not weak & bitter like 7-11 or dunkin donuts coffee, it just doesn't taste like coffee.

Yesterday the coffee was much better in the buffets and also room service, but dining room coffee no improvement last night.

Other good / bad: the sugar free lemon "tulip" filled with fruit. This was just divine, amazingly good. Filling tasted like a delicious lemon pie.

surprisingly bad: the crab louie. It doesn't look like any crab louie I've ever seen. A great pile of what looks like canned crab mixed with other stuff - blenderized? Sitting on a quarter inch of shredded lettuce. Salty and nasty.

Tink,

So then it is BAD swill, as compared to GOOD swill ;). As a retired Navy Chief Petty Officer, I KNOW swill.

A bit off subject . . . . we are doing the T/A back from the Med in November. Is there an onboard laundry service . . . . if so, what is the charge.

Enjoy the rest of the cruise.

• 3 weeks later...
Tink,

So then it is BAD swill, as compared to GOOD swill ;). As a retired Navy Chief Petty Officer, I KNOW swill.

A bit off subject . . . . we are doing the T/A back from the Med in November. Is there an onboard laundry service . . . . if so, what is the charge.

Enjoy the rest of the cruise.

Sorry it has taken me so long to respond, internet on board was slow & pricey and afterwards in England our few days were very busy.

Yes, the coffee was definitely bad swill! If they served this in prison, the inmates would riot. ;) I loved everything else about X, so next cruise I will simply know to bring my own coffee and an aeropress.

There was a laundry service on board, I sent laundry twice & thought the dry cleaning especially was inexpensive compared to land prices. I would make note of what you send down to be cleaned & be able to describe it in case it is misplaced. Some items didn't come back & my cabin attendant needed to have a description of the missing items in order to locate them. Here is the list.

Regular Service - Next Day

Picked up before 9:00 a.m., returned Next Day

Same Day Service - Add 50% Express Service Surcharge

Picked up before 9:00 a.m., returned Same Day

Laundry Services

LadiesGentlemenDress $5.50Trousers $3.75Skirt $2.75Shorts $2.50Slacks $3.25Sport Shirt $2.75Blouse $3.25Regular Shirt $2.75Blazer $4.25Formal Shirt $3.50Sweater $2.75Under Shirt $1.00Pajamas $3.25Under Shorts $1.00Night Gown $3.25T-Shirt $2.25Slip $1.50Pajamas $3.50Brassiere $1.50Handkerchief $0.75Panties $1.00Sweater $2.75Hosiery $1.00Socks $1.00Handkerchief $0.75Sweatshirt $2.50Bathing Suit $1.75Bathing Suit $1.75Sports Shirt $2.75Shorts $2.50Socks $1.00Sweatshirt $2.50Dry-Cleaning Services

LadiesGentlemenSuit $7.00Suit $7.00Dress $6.00Sport Jacket $5.50Slacks $3.25Sport Shirt $2.75Skirt $4.50Tuxedo Jacket $6.00Blouse $3.75Vest $3.50Blazer $5.00Shirt $3.50Slacks $4.50Trousers $4.00Evening Gown $7.50Tie $2.00Silk Blouse $5.50Sweater $3.50Scarf $1.50

Pressing Services

LadiesGentlemenSuit $3.50Suit $3.50Blazer $2.50Sport Jacket $2.50Slacks $2.25Tuxedo Jacket $3.00Skirt $2.50Trousers $2.25Blouse $2.25Sport Shirt $1.50Shirt $1.75Regular Shirt $2.00Dress $3.75Formal Shirt $2.50Evening Gown $4.50Vest $1.75Silk Blouse $2.75

• Special articles of apparel such as silks, flannel trousers, woolens and other items which are difficult to clean are accepted for laundering only at owner's risk
  • Items marked "DRY CLEAN ONLY," should NOT be laundered
  • In case of loss or damage, liability is limited to ten times the prices charges for laundry/pressing of said article. Not responsible for shrinkage, fastness of colors, zippers, buttons and ornaments, or ordinary wear and tear in pressing, or anything left in pockets of garments
  • All prices are in US. Dollars and are subject to change without further notice.

Here to give my .02 on the coffee. I am here on board the century, and yes, the coffee really is THAT BAD. Woe to me for being hopeful and not packing french press / coffee from home.

That was coffee they had on board?

We were on the Century TA to Europe this April/May as well. Absolutely fantastic voyage...with the one exception of the coffee :( Yes, the coffee REALLY is that bad! I drank tea the whole trip after a few "tries" at breakfast and dinner time. We prefer Dunkin' Doughnuts whole beans and although we miss the pampering on the Century, it sure is great to be back home with a decent cup of freshly ground and brewed coffee again! My opinion is that a couple good cleanings of the pots with white vinegar might go a long way to improving the coffee on the ship. However, with the volume needed on a vessel that size, if they cleaned the pots as recommended they would virtually be cleaning every coffee maker twice a day, and that is just not practical.

I don't drink coffee, but I'm traveling with an addict. I've seen a couple of references to taking a French press. As it isn't electric, I assume it's allowable onboard. But how do you get water hot enough? Do you have to order a carafe of hot water from room service? Are there steward's pantries with hot water in the cabin areas? Surely it doesn't have to come all the way from the galley!

Thanks for the info so that I can plan accordingly!

Donia

First =X= cruise was last year on the Millennium to Alaska, and I was so disappointed with the poor quality of the coffee. I had read that the coffee had improved during the past year because it's now brewed on board. We just returned from the Panama Canal on the Infinity and I'm sorry to report that on-board brewing has not improved the quality of the coffee.

You really don't need to haul an Aeropress. Here's what we used:

http://*****.com/q838md

I brought along coarsley ground coffee from home, put four heaping tablespoons in the press (we like it strong), zipped up to the buffet (if your cabin is aft) or the Aqua Spa cafe (if your cabin is forward), filled it with hot water from the machine up there, and by the time I got back to the cabin the coffee was almost ready. The little container is insulated, so it stays hot for awhile. I'd also pick up some half and half in a glass and bring that back to the cabin too. The press makes about 1.5 cups of good coffee, enough to get us started in the morning. I'm planning to take two presses on our next cruise. They're small, light and unbreakable.

Hope this helps some coffee lovers out there.

I brought along coarsley ground coffee from home, put four heaping tablespoons in the press (we like it strong), zipped up to the buffet (if your cabin is aft) or the Aqua Spa cafe (if your cabin is forward), filled it with hot water from the machine up there, and by the time I got back to the cabin the coffee was almost ready. The little container is insulated, so it stays hot for awhile. I'd also pick up some half and half in a glass and bring that back to the cabin too. The press makes about 1.5 cups of good coffee, enough to get us started in the morning. I'm planning to take two presses on our next cruise. They're small, light and unbreakable.

Hope this helps some coffee lovers out there.

Thanks for telling us about this great idea. I'll buy one (or two) of these for the coffee addict in our group. But is there no way to get hot water to make coffee without going to one of the restaurants? What if you like to have your coffee before you get dressed? Has anyone had experience with requesting a carafe of hot water from a steward or room service?

Thanks,

Donia

the room service coffee we got in concierge on the Century transatlantic was pretty good. The coffee at the buffet and at dinner was not nearly as good. who knows why

I thought that sometimes the coffee was normal tasting at the buffets, and the best cup of coffee I had came from the aqua spa. Unfortunately it was closed except for breakfast and lunch. I found concierge breakfast coffee pretty much the same - the first morning they forgot the syrup for our pancakes & I almost thought they must have put it in the coffee. It had that odd sweet flavor. I hope it isn't from pots that need cleaning - they must be in bad shape if it has thrown off the flavor of the coffee that drastically.

It seems that the only way to improve the taste of the coffee is to put a jigger of bourbon in it. Couldn't hurt. We are doing the TA on Century in Nov so will be aware of this. We were on the Century 2 weeks before it's major drydock and thought the coffee though not exceptional was drinkable. Can't blame the economy as X coffee has always been a subject of derision.

We just finished an awesome cruise on the Millennium, where everything including the food was outstanding, other than the coffee which was truly horrible. The coffee is actually worse then the coffee you use to get at McDonalds, which has now improved. I cant figure out why Celebrity would have such lousy coffee supplied to them. It tasted like burnt wood chips, and thats being generous.

You have to try the new starbucks instant coffee!!!!.I am real fussy but love this new product, unfortunately we can't get it in Canada

Never heard of it, I'll have to look for it on my next starbucks outing.

As for McDonalds coffee, after they started offering the espresso I've been buying quite a bit of it. I've found some locations do well, (capitol hill & crown hill in seattle have been great so far), Sea-Tac on 99 not so much - coffee comes out luke warm for some reason. But any of it is miles better than X coffee.

For Donia: I think you could request a carafe of hot water from your cabin attendant. I just found it easier to dash up to the buffet (we were in an aft-area cabin) with the coffee press and fill it up there. I usually headed to the stretch and aerobic classes after downing a cup of coffee, so I put on my workout pants and shirt before heading to the buffet. Climbing three flights of stairs was my gym warm up :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived