Thoughts one doing a Mediterranean cruise in Late July/August

eolyn

I have a series of different factors that all add to the idea that a med. cruise would work out well for my schedule at that time.

I have heard that it's hot and that much of Europe is on vacation at the same time, so places near the coast are crowded.

Anyone done this? would you recommend it?

We would like to focus on Italy and see the major ports like Rome, and Venice.

I have a series of different factors that all add to the idea that a med. cruise would work out well for my schedule at that time.

I have heard that it's hot and that much of Europe is on vacation at the same time, so places near the coast are crowded.

Anyone done this? would you recommend it?

We would like to focus on Italy and see the major ports like Rome, and Venice.

Yes, it was hot.

We did not find things closed due to vacations. We were there late July into early August.

Italy in July and August is very hot and incredibly crowded. I've been to Europe once in the summer and will never do it again. All my other European trips were is the Spring or Fall. August is traditionally European vacation time. It just adds to the congestion. The med cruise is great and I love Italy, if the only time you can do it is July then you should but if you can go in September or October that, IMHO, is much much better.

Italy in July and August is very hot and incredibly crowded. I've been to Europe once in the summer and will never do it again. All my other European trips were is the Spring or Fall. August is traditionally European vacation time. It just adds to the congestion. The med cruise is great and I love Italy, if the only time you can do it is July then you should but if you can go in September or October that, IMHO, is much much better.

I might be able to swing it over Christmas vacation, but I'd imagine that its just the opposite problem.

related question -- are things air conditioned in Italy?

it was hot in copenhagen last year before we left for the Baltic and there was very little air conditioning--luckily our hotel (the Marriott) was.

2 years ago we were in Rome --it was pleasant and not unbearable as we expected. turkey and Greece were very hot. We did not find things closed. July August is when I can travel, so I make do.

British schools finish the third week in July generally and the whole country heads for Spain, Turkey, Greece and others unless they are going to Florida :)

Other European counties also have there holidays then too. This does not mean that anything closes down other than factories (those that still exist) and schools. What it does mean is that resorts and major cities are very, very crowded and prices are very, very high.

It is also the time when the weather is hottest. I would recommend June and September for a more comfortable time all round.

My daughter and I took this very cruise in the summer 2 years ago. It was very hot...all the more reason to eat lots of gelato! It wasn't overly crowded and we didn't find places closed. However, it was consistently in the 90's and even over 108 one day! Capri was bearable due to the breezes and Florence was bearable because we were in museums and churches sightseeing. We almost melted walking around Rome! But we went at that time because it was more reasonably priced...and now we know why!

we were in the med last july/august. i would never do that area at that time of the year. i walked around thinking how much more enjoyable it would be walking around the sites if the temperature was comfortable. we were not stolling along we were mostly on a mission to get to the next shady place. i agree with valrober, we did almost melt in rome. it got so hot one day that i took my umbrella out with me. it did help. the temperature was hot but we were also out in the sun walking more that we normally do on a daily basis.

all that said, that cruise was the best vacation i have ever had. just try for another time of the year. do some checking on what time would be best, i have no idea when that might be.

Archived