How should lines compensate Mexico travelers?

What should cruise lines offer Mexico passengers? (Choose all that apply.)  

4,447 members have voted

1. 1. What should cruise lines offer Mexico passengers? (Choose all that apply.)

• Easy rebooking options (for those who haven’t sailed yet).
    • No-penalty cancellation options (for those who haven’t sailed yet).
    • Shipboard credit (for those who’ve already embarked).
    • Open bars onboard (for those who’ve already embarked).
    • Full or partial refunds (for those who’ve already embarked).
    • Credit toward a future cruise (for those who’ve already embarked).
    • None of the above.
    • Something else, which I'll post.

I also think that the people on last weeks cruise should be followed up on, making sure that none of them come down with something, and if they do the rest of the passengers should be notified. Our Asst Room Steward was coming down with something at the end of the week, and the infirmary just sent him back to work. It was obvious he was sick, as there was huge beads of sweat rolling off of him.

As far as people on this weeks cruise, they definitely should be taken care of. Going to SF is a poor replacement for the MR, esecially since it is proabably cooler up there. Would rather get some credits onboard or for future cruises, or both, and stay in the warmer waters.

I was on the Destiny last week, only did Bahamas and Grand Turk, but a friend had done B2B and had been in Cozumel the week before. I became very sick about 2 days after getting home, so went to ER last night. No swine, just bronci infection and pneumonia:( But my out of country travels got me the blue mask and a nasty painful swab up the nose:eek: Freind of mine that went to Coz is fine.

Everybody should get a shipboard credit - whether they've sailed yet or not - if their Mexican port call is canceled, unless another port is substituted. Like a hurricane, this is force majeure, an unpredictable event that affects passenger safety. I'm sailing on Carnival Freedom on June 6, scheduled to call in Cozumel on the 8th. That port call seems in jeopardy now as it's hard to believe this will all be over in less than six weeks. I hope that Carnival can make arrangements for an alternative port, perhaps Roatan or even Belize, but whatever they decide, I hope they'll let the passengers know as soon as possible and make it easy for canceling passengers to either rebook or get all their money back (as of today the cancellation penalty is the amount of the deposit).

For those on current cruises that are missing ports I'm not sure why it is any different than a hurricane inspired redirecting. For future cruisers I think rebooking penalty free would be a fair option. Beyond that I think people should be happy that the cruise line is watching out for their health and safety and they should quit whinning and expecting ridiculous compensation.

We are booked on an Alaskan cruise in three weeks and if Mt Redoubt blows I don't think it is Royal Caribbeans fault that we will have to see Alaska through a haze of ash. It might be nice to be given a free face mask though.....:D

Suzanne

If I was on a cruise that was scheduled to go to Mexico, I would only expect credit for the port charges. I would much rather not go to those ports, whether it meant going to substitute ports or extra sea days.
I'm in full agreement. The cruise line trying to protect our health is enough "compensation".

I wish they would tell us the revised itinerary, so we can make an informed decision. We are doing a family cruise, so some family members flew in today, some tomorrow, some friday, etc. Airlines will let them reschedule, but carnival keeps pushing back the info time. It was 5 pm today, then 5:30 and now it is tomorrow?

Now, so they fly in tomorrow morning or not?

We have nothing to base it on anymore.

And I am bothered, knowing we paid $357 in port charges and will get $20 back per missed port. That just seems wrong to me. I will be happy with a CTN, but I know others in our party will not be, and I feel bad, cause I kept saying 5 pm today.... then 5:30.... sigh.

It has been one of those days here

I too am torn on this one. While I don't blame the cruise line, I did book the M.R. for a reason. Warm weather, sun and Mexico in general. If they can't offer that then I would expect the opportunity to change the date to when that will be avail. (Which Carnival is doing, penalty free-----Kudos to them) Otherwise offer me an incentive to stay on the booked date.

If this were any other business transaction, most people would expect to get exactly what they paid for. That said, I understand all to well how hard the cruise lines are working to make a profit. If you don't think so, go buy enough food to feed that many people and then flip out your credit card to gas up one of those baby's. You'll need CPR before it's all said and done. ;)

While many major airlines (Delta, Continental, United, US Airways, American, Aeromexico and Air Canada, among others) have relaxed cancellation policies in response to the swine flu outbreak, Carnival has been the only cruise line -- so far -- to say it will offer rebooking assistance to those affected by canceled port calls in Mexico. While we wait to see if other lines will weigh in with their own offers, we’d like to know: What do you think the cruise lines should do for passengers on affected sailings? Take our poll and be sure to post your opinion!

Last Sunday we returned from our Carnival Conquest cruise (from Galveston) to be inundated with news of the Swine Flu outbreak. We had stopped in Cozumel, which I'm sure concerned some passengers. At NO time during our cruise did we hear of the outbreak and it never appeared on CNN either. I assume this was due to delays in reporting by Mexican authorities. Embarkation had been delayed due to weather and Carnival gave each passenger $15 OBC. So, for this, I would recommend return of port charges and perhaps a $50 OBC for those already sailing. Others have addressed the rebooking options. For most of us frequent cruisers, we can take these things in stride, but what would you do if you planned your wedding in one of the Mexican ports or this was your vacation of a lifetime. That said - health is more important than anything - you can't contain or monitor passengers who WOULD go ashore no matter what the risk. I'm the first to take cruiselines to task when they make a mistake, but this isn't their fault. They are doing what's best without lossing the revenue they need in this troubled economy. They don't need to go the way of the automakers or airlines.

This is our frist cruise and we have been planning it for nearly a year. I would be so happy if the would refund us. We are scheduled for G.C. and Cozumel - we know we are not going to M.X. but what about Grand Cayman, can anyone guarantee we will be able to tender? I think not, I've heard that often the Sea is too choppy to make it.:(

I wish they would refund!

We have been on 5 cruises and the only time we has trouble with Grand Cayman was during hurricane season (September to January). If you heard that the tender was choppy, why did you book this cruise?

I see that offering future cruise credit or rebooking options would be fair to both parties. We, customers, get something extra beyond what the cruise line owes us (see the contract) and the cruise line gets to spread the cost over all the various cruises that people rebook on.

Personally we are traveling on the Sea Princess FLL to SFO. Don't tell Princess but I'd be willing to spend extra to skip Cabo (this would be my fourth visit) and add a day in Panama City or San Diego. ;-)

We are booked to celebrate our 15th anniversary on the Splendor on the 10th with a balcony cabin. The price for this seemed justified for sitting outside our cabin and enjoying the warm Mexican weather. The thought of sitting out there inhaling fog for 7 days does not sound quite as appealing, especially at the price we paid. The current price on Carnival for our cabin, 8c, is $310 pp less than we paid, and would be a fair price for a week of being shrouded in the cold fog. I would like to be offered the current price as an incentive to stay booked on this cruise, otherwise we are leaning towards re booking later once the porcine dust has settled.

We will have to wait and see what Carnival is going to do

I live in CA and have seen San Diego, Santa Barbara and San Fransisco so many times. I will be on Princess cruises this Saturday for a Mexico cruise and this is the new itenary due to flu. Princess is not giving us any future credit or any other compensions. Do you think is this fair for us to spend over $2000 to go to same places we have been so many times? In my openion that is not a great customer relations to keep loyal customers happy! :mad:

First of all, kudos to Carnival for allowing passengers who have yet to sail the opportunity to cancel. I don't think that the cruise lines should bear all of the expense of what most likely will be a global concern, but I do think that they should give their customer the opportunity to rebook the cruise sometime within the next year or so without penalty and for a comparable rate. This will go a long way to creating goodwill between the cruise lines and the customers. As for those who are currently sailing, I would be very disappointed if my Mexico cruise turned into a cruise to nowhere. I fully support a refund of the port fees and a reasonable discount toward a future cruise for those passengers. Best wishes for everyone's health.

:(

I am up front and center when it comes to compensation for missed ports, but missing these ports is legitimate.

Right now we are at pandemic phase 4, and its not getting better. Lets hope we don't get to 5.

Smooth sailing...

we are at phase 5

If I were currently booked on a Mexico cruise, I would be grateful that the cruise line cancelled those ports and did not expose me to potential danger. With flights and vacation time arranged, it is hard to make a last minute change in vacation plans. I think the cruise lines are doing a great job by finding alternate ports of call, such as San Diego, Catalina Island, San Francisco, Long Beach, Seattle, or wherever else on the west coast they can get permission to dock. With cruise lines struggling and profits currently down, I don't think the cruise lines can or should be expected to shouldar the financial burden of cancelled cruises or empty ships.

However, they should recognize the disappointment of those who really wanted to go to Mexico. I think an onboard credit of perhaps $100 per person, a few free drinks, and perhaps a $100 credit on a future cruise to Mexico would be appreciated by passengers, would be a good will gesture, and wouldn't cost the cruise lines too much for something that is not their fault and is beyond their control.

Let's hope this swine flu thing clears up soon so life and travel can get back to normal.

Certainly the line should reimburse port charges for cancelled port calls -- but should not be held financially responsible for an epidemic.

What is wrong with people -- believing that every time something happens that they do not like, there should be someone to pay them?

Hurricanes and epidemics are clearly beyond the cruise lines' control: the lines provide information which makes it clear that circumstances beyond their control may require changes of itinerary -- live with it -- don't complain about "fine print".

What if this ends up being like one of the salmonella deals and everyone forgets about it in a few weeks? I understand the safety concerns but I think Carnival's primary concern is avoiding a slew of lawsuits if this does get bad. I understand it isn't a big deal to rebook for those of you that are retired and just going on a relaxing vacation, but what if you were supposed to be on your honeymoon? That would just ruin everything we have looked forward to for so long. Instead of going on my honeymoon the day after our wedding, I get to spend a day and home and then back to work on Monday? Start planning for another cruise? That just doesn't work for me. It is all about keeping your customers happy, if you have to give some now, it will pay off later on.

I was just wondering, have all the cruise lines changed the itenirary for the Mexican Riviera and if they have, where are the other ships going to. Has anyone heard how long they think this flu outbreak will last.

I hear alot about it's not the cruise lines fault when it comes to the unexpected; hurricanes, illness and in this case, swine flu. But it's not the passengers fault either.

I think both parties need to be flexible and understanding. For those who have not yet sailed, the option to rebook at their current rates with no additional fees but no option for a full refund I think would be fair.

For those who have sailed, like on the Slendor and want to get off, let them with a prorated future cruise credit, again, no refund.

Tammie

I think this would show good will for both parties. I understand that the cruise industry needs the revenue, but I also understand it's hard for people to pay big bucks for a vacation not as they planned.

I'm afraid without some kind of give and take, it could sour alot of people on cruising and ultimately cost the industry in the end.

I would appreciate the option of being able to rebook without penalty, but then again it's not the cruise lines fault that there is a possible flu pandemic. "You know what" happens..so I think I'd go ahead and go on the cruise ports or no ports...for me, I just love being on a ship!!

Speaking for myself, if I were booked on a Mexican Riviera cruise and the cruiseline elected to offer other ports of call instead of the "usual suspects" then I'd be delighted and wouldn't expect compensation. It's not that I don't like the usual ports of call. It's just that I've seen them all more than once. I'd still book a Mexican cruise, since I like cruising and Mexican Riviera cruises can be cheap and are easy for us to get to, but I don't necessarily care if I don't go ashore at those ports.

But Sea Hag, what about all of us who booked this cruise specifically to go to those ports?

We didn't want to go to Cabo or PV, we signed up for Acapulco! If that is not where the ship is going, then I would like my money back, it is not what I paid for. And going north is not an option either, I want warm weather, not Seattle!

ill just say stick with the cancelation with no penalty option i wouldnt give open bars or onboard credit or anything sometimes on a cruise you just have to miss a port or two it happens it happend to me and nothing was done just another sea day with excursions refunded.

I think the biggest problem people have is the lack of communication. When Carnival says they will have the info and then they don't, that's a problem. I'm sailing on May 18th, so there is still time for me, but I have to say I'm not encouraged by the response so far. If they have to make a change, that's fine...the situation isn't their fault. But make the change in a timely manner so people can make a decision about what they want to do.

I understand the cruise lines are under no obligation to offer anything in compensation for these problems. It's not their fault.

As a business person, I do think it's a terrible decision. The industry is in the middle of a huge downturn (and a flu scare won't help). They're already having trouble booking cruises for the remainder of the year (take a look at the prices for this fall).

They would be so much smarter to offer discounts/credits that must be used by the end of the year. They would have happier customers. They would fill up their ships. They wouldn't have to even give full credit - most people will understand it's nobody's fault.

This just seems very short-sighted to me.

Shaky

I'm having a hard time with this one and I know I'll probably get a lot of unneeded comments for it but here is my opinion on what should be done by the cruise lines.

For people going to Cozumel:

I think that the people that may a port in Cozumel should have a different port in it's place. There are enough ports around there that compare to the fun & sun in Coz that passengers wouldn't be missing too much. A new port and maybe a bit of on board credit should be plenty of compensation.

For people going to the Mexican Riviera:

I think the people who have not left yet should have the option to cancel with no penalty. I would hate to book a trip thinking I was going to the south where it's generally warmer and sunnier and then get told last minute, "Sorry, but we're going to take you north where you're likely to have a cooler, rainier vacation." If I wanted cool temps and rain I'd stay home. JMO

I think the passengers already on board should also be compensated somehow whether it be with on board credit or a next cruise certificate. I don't think they should get their total cruise price back but maybe %25 plus missed port fees.

I am one of the cruisers that is booked on a Mexican Riviera cruise on the Splendor this May...

I booked the cruise because I wanted to do a Mexican Riviera cruise.:) And I want to be warm and go to some beaches/

I think everyone can understand that when you book- you book what you do , because it is what interests you . Right?

If I wanted to be cold and see the north, I would book a northen cruise. I love in Northern Pa , and am in the cold weather 7 out of 12 months every year. So when I go on vacation- I want to go where it is warm , and see beautiful beaches , swim , lay out in the sun , and get a tan.

I have no intrest at all in seeing Northern US/Canada or Alaska ...sorry to say it , but that is me .

Give me Bermuda , Aruba, Cayman, Mexico ...pretty much anywhere warm , and I am glad to be there . Even a 7 day cruise to nowhere even ...if I can enjoy the heat and get a tan ...I am game.:cool:

I would expect Carnival to give me the appropriate ports , in enough time to decide if I want to do them ...

If I wanted to do them ...fine , all is well

But If I didnt want those ports , and My sailing was upcoming still , I would be happy if they gave me a free 7 day Mexican Riviera cruise on whatever date I wanted to sail , do to the fact - that my cruise is paid in full for a 7 day Mexican Riviera cruise, and that It wouldnt be fair for them to raise the prices , due to my credit .

For Example: Because I have a cruise booking credit - I cant get the best deal out there .:eek: ( that kind of small print would be just a slap on the face , dont you think? )

Now if I was in the middle of sailing and my ship didnt make it to port , I would expect the port charges refunded.

ANd if My ship went to ports that I hadnt been expecting ...well I would try to enjoy them , unless of coarse if I packed for bikini weather and without notice they took me to the cold places ...LOL like canada or Alaska... I wouldnt have the appropriate attire to wear for that kind of mismatch cruise.So yes , I would expect some type of compensation. Cause in my opinion , they could have driven around in circles in the heat , and I probably wouldnt have cared ...:p

What I would like to know ...is what is going to happen , in time to make my plans and handle them accordingly , in proper time . Make new reservations, cancel existing ones... it is my vacation and it should be stress free and enjoyable ...shouldnt it ?

:D

Archived