Do NOT let CARNIVAL attempt to develope your underwater pics!!!!

My DH and I just returned from our honeymoon on the freedom. We had purchased 3 Fugi underwater cameras for our "wet" port days. We took tons of pics at Stingray City and Dunn's Falls/River Tubing. We were so anxious to see our pictures that we dropped them off in one of the Freedoms developing bins. The next day we ran up to the photo area in tremendous excitement. The girl at the counter said "oh, it says here your film was old, they could not develope it" WHAT! All three cameras had been purchased at different times at different retailers. I had also checked the expiration dates before buying them. I was horrified! Our honeymoon pictures were lost!

Well, when we returned home I thought I would drop by a Walgreens and see if they could salvage anything. Come to find out CARNIVAL had developed the pictures on the WRONG side of the film. *****!!!! They blamed their ignorance on the cameras! That being said, Walgreens was able to "save" some pics. They came out really blotchy and dark but at least you get an idea of what your looking at.

I'm sorry for rambling but I just wanted to warn you all. If your pics are important don't trust the CARNIVAL employees. Ugh! Otherwise, our cruise was FANTASTIC!

Oh wow. I'm so sorry! That had to have been so disappointing!!

We had the staff on the Destiny develop our water camera pics (BOSS in St. Thomas and river tubing in Dominica) and they turned out great. I would have been so sad if they had not! :(

I used a underwater disposable camera when I did stingray city the first time two years ago and let te ship develop the film. All was well. I opted to ditch the expensive and unreliable underwater disposable for an amazing digital camera that is waterproof, crushproof, freezeproof, and shockproof. It isn't that expensive to get and you can use it underwater for 1 hour. You can take a LOT of pictures in under an hour.

As for their error, well, they have a lot of film to develop, so mistakes happen. Sure, it is annoying, but how can you tell for sure how well the photos would come out anyhow. My disposable underwater camera took mediocre pictures and of the 24, maybe 1/4 were good!!!!!

My DH and I just returned from our honeymoon on the freedom. We had purchased 3 Fugi underwater cameras for our "wet" port days. We took tons of pics at Stingray City and Dunn's Falls/River Tubing. We were so anxious to see our pictures that we dropped them off in one of the Freedoms developing bins. The next day we ran up to the photo area in tremendous excitement. The girl at the counter said "oh, it says here your film was old, they could not develope it" WHAT! All three cameras had been purchased at different times at different retailers. I had also checked the expiration dates before buying them. I was horrified! Our honeymoon pictures were lost!

Well, when we returned home I thought I would drop by a Walgreens and see if they could salvage anything. Come to find out CARNIVAL had developed the pictures on the WRONG side of the film. *****!!!! They blamed their ignorance on the cameras! That being said, Walgreens was able to "save" some pics. They came out really blotchy and dark but at least you get an idea of what your looking at.

I'm sorry for rambling but I just wanted to warn you all. If your pics are important don't trust the CARNIVAL employees. Ugh! Otherwise, our cruise was FANTASTIC!

Whoever told you this does not know what they are talking about. I have developed film myself. It is run through a developer. The developer is on both sides of the film. You cannot develop one side of the film. Thus, it is impossible to develop the "wrong side of the film." So don't blame Carnival for this ...

http://www.wikihow.com/Develop-Color-Film

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photographic_processing

Well, when we returned home I thought I would drop by a Walgreens and see if they could salvage anything.

Come to find out CARNIVAL had developed the pictures on the WRONG side of the film.

*****!!!!

Having worked in darkrooms for many years developing film, both negative and positive

I find the above statement curious,

in that you simply can't "develop pictures on the wrong side of the film"

-that statement simply does not compute.

Suggest you submit this subject to the Photo Discussion section of these CC Message Boards

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=118

and see what the tech guys over there make of it.

If you started with expired film,that wasn't a great start.

Possibly Leaving the camera to cook in the sun(possibly?) while at the beach

would do further damage (severe color shift)

...it would be nice to see the negs -that would tell a whole lot.

There's a lot more to this story that what's been said here, I'm sure

It sounds like you brought the cameras through security in your bags, which where x-rayed, which would fog the film, making them blotchy, and partially exposed. Where did you get your cameras?

Thats really stinks, Im sorry to hear that happened. I just want to let you know to be careful with walgreens too, they screwed up my film twice.

For the cost of a few underwater disposable cameras you can get a waterproof bag to protect a digital camera [mine worked well on my last trip] or better yet for not much more than the cost of the cameras, plus developing, in just a few trips you would have paid for a good underwater camera. Quite a few people had them on my last cruise and the pictures were very good, much better than the disposables.

I'm really sorry you lost your pics, but before I bought any more disposables I would get an underwater camera or Dicapac or other waterproof bag. The prices keeps going down.

Having also developed film, what you were told or what you understood makes no sense, the film is run through baths which develops the film, the pictures are already on the film where they will be there is no way to "develop them on the WRONG side of the film"

It is hot in the caribbean, and if these cameras were left out in the sun, or exposed to intense heat, than this could have damaged the film. I don't know how many rolls of film that I have developed that had been left in a car and were ruined, very blotchy and dark kind of muddy looking.

There is a chance that the wrong chemicals were put in the wrong tanks in the machine and could have ruined your film, but most of todays machines are smart enough to warn you if they detect the wrong mix of chemicals.

It sounds like you brought the cameras through security in your bags, which where x-rayed, which would fog the film, making them blotchy, and partially exposed. Where did you get your cameras?

That can only happen with high ISO films, in third world countries where they are still using old strong x-ray machines. Most disposable cameras using between 100 and 400, and should not cause the problem.

That said, if I have a bunch of film, I usually take them out and ask security to hand inspect them. They usually understand, and does not put it through the x-ray machine.

That can only happen with high ISO films, in third world countries where they are still using old strong x-ray machines. Most disposable cameras using between 100 and 400, and should not cause the problem.

That said, if I have a bunch of film, I usually take them out and ask security to hand inspect them. They usually understand, and does not put it through the x-ray machine.

what i am trying to say is that they had the cameras in their checked baggage, which would indeed fog film

Updated April 8, 2003

yellow.gifAirport Baggage Scanning Equipment Can Jeopardize Your Unprocessed Film

Because your pictures are important to you, this information is presented as an alert to travelers carrying unprocessed film. New FAA-certified (Federal Aviation Administration) explosive detection systems are being used in U.S. airports to scan (x-ray) checked baggage. This stronger scanning equipment is also being used in many non-US airports. The new equipment will fog any unprocessed film that passes through the scanner.

The recommendations in this document are valid for all film formats (135, Advanced Photo System [APS], 120/220, sheet films, 400 ft. rolls, ECN in cans, etc.).

Note: X rays from airport scanners don't affect digital camera images or film that has already been processed, i.e. film from which you have received prints, slides, KODAK PHOTO CD Discs, or KODAK Picture CDs.

This document also does not cover how mail sanitization affects film. If you would like information on that topic, click on this Kodak Web site: mail sanitization.

I don't understand what the big hurry was to see pictures you just took....I have undeveloped film from 2 years ago.

Plus I would never let Carnival do it.. and pay those expensive process fees...

Come to find out CARNIVAL had developed the pictures on the WRONG side of the film. *****!!!!
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot indeed! What the Walgreen clerk told you is pure fantasy. It is impossible.

Well if I had a choice between Walgreens and CCL, I would choose CCL.They do more film and photos in a day then a Walgreens store does in a week.My wife works at Walgreens.:)

Steve

As others have said, you can't develope "the wrong side". Wet is wet and both sides get wet with the developing solution. X-ray damage before they were used is a very good possibility. Underwater disposable cameras usually have a higher ISO value to accomodate the decreased amount of light underwater. That makes them much more likely to be subject to X-ray damage.

I don't understand what the big hurry was to see pictures you just took....I have undeveloped film from 2 years ago.

Plus I would never let Carnival do it.. and pay those expensive process fees...

First of all exposed film degrades faster than unexposed film. Second, if you didn't want to see the pictures, why did you bother taking them in the first place?

When I was using film based underwater cameras, I had the cruise line develop the film right-away. However, I only had a CD made, I did not have prints made (prints are rather expensive). Now I have an underwater digital camera, so this is no longer an issue.

Archived