I spent a week on Curacao, ask any questions you'd like!

ckrobyn

We will be in port on a Sunday - does anyone know what kind of hours the shops will have. Hopefully not too shortened as it is our longest port day and I'm worried about not having enough to do...

I have been there on a Sunday and the shop hours are lousy. Some, but not all of the shops open until noon. The town is dead in the afternoon. :(

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Did you do this tour. Friends of our want to get a "feel" for the island. You know, a few historic spots, some culture. I just want to get a feel for the Kontiki Beach Club and will meet them there. Do you know anything about this tour? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
The food at the snack bar was great, offering some pretty neat local snacks. :)

What kinds of neat local snacks??? Since I will have been off the ship for at least an hour I'm sure I will be ravenous:p

Also, did you buy any souveniers? Curacao liqueur?

Thanks for taking the time to post- there isn't a lot of info up on this island.

Cheers,

We will be there on a cruise too & want to go to the Seaquarium for the Snorkle Animal Encounter. Did you do that? Should we try to take a short tour before going to the Seaquarium or is there really not much to see? Thanks! Susan

Susan- when is your cruise?

If you end up going to the seaquarium, please post a review. We are heading down in Nov/06 (I like to plan ahead:D ) and want to do the snorkle animal encounter too but can't find much info on it.....

Cheers,

Mary and Andre'

I Will be in Curacao two weeks from now and I plan to go out snorkeling with

caribseasports.com they are located on the beach of the Marriott a 7 munute cab right from the port. Check it out but Tom there is very friendly and will answer all your questions. I an very excited to try them. For $28 per person for a 4 hour boat tour is almost half as much as the 2 1/2 hour tour offered through the cruise line. I will let you know when I get back.

• 5 weeks later...

Hey Digital Curator--sorry I didn't see your post until today. We are now back from our cruise (we went the first week in Oct). The Sea Aquarium was ok but nothing to brag about. The water was extremely cloudy for some reason so it was hard to see the sharks. I took a photo & it did turn out so I guess I saw some---LOL!! The people in the building where you go to get your gear were very unorganized & not helpful (long story). We saw a dolphin show (ok, not great) & a sea lion show (also just ok). They have several tanks with different types of fish & that was interesting. Also, they have HUGH sea turtles that we saw while snorkeling. The park was not crowded at all (maybe the time of year) which was a good thing. We walked from the ship to the ferry, took the ferry across the waterway & then walked past the floating market (the swinging bridge had been removed for repair but should be back by the time you go). A bank security guard flagged down a lady driving a van to the Sea Aquarium & she gave us a ride for $1 per person. We took a taxi back to the ship with another couple. All in all, I'm glad we went but it is not something I would do again. Hope this helps! Susan

P.S. I did get a photo taken with a sea lion giving me a kiss & it is one of my favorite photos from this cruise :)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

For Pl$time - You most likely will have to set up a taxi in advance. My recollection was that there were no cabs "waiting" for fares at the beach. Since it is a fair distance from Willemstead, it would take some to get one even if the beach personnel called for one.

For clementyne - depending on where the ship ties up you should be able to walk.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have lived on the island and could help some of you out with some answers.

1. Body boarding or surfing... the best place and probably the only place is on the north shore at a beach called Playa Canoa.

2. The ostrich farm is way out on the eastern/central side of the island by the Aloe Vera plantation on the western side of the Sint Jorisbaai if you have a map. It is OK but a little pricey for what you actually see.

3. The tug boat is on Caracaasbaai island, on the southeastern shore. Fabulous display of fish there. Bring a bit of bread in a little plastic baggie to attract them.

4. The floating market has some great KODAK moment opportunities. If you go in the morning you can see them cut and sell their fish asell as the fruit from Venezuela. It is right around the corner form the pretty row of coloured shops you see on all the promos. Not far to walk from the swinging bridge at all.

We are thinking about renting a Harley & just doing our own site seeing- maybe to Christoffel Park or to a couple of beaches to snorkle. Can anyone recommend where we can rent from?? I found the website for 'The Bike Shop' , but there's not too many details on the site and no prices. I e-mailed the guy who owns it (Jack) but he hasn't replied. Has anyone ever done this? How did it go?

Thanks for any info- Ellen.

Archived