Is Chops worth the extra money

Hust wondering is Chops worth the extra payment sailed two years ago on the Liberty didn't try it then . Going in July again and was wondering is it good value or not.

Thanks in advance Gill11

We've tried Portofino & Chops and it's just a way for RC to make some extra money. We had nice food & friendly staff, but it was 2 hours. I think we paid $20 each + a grat which didn't seem overpriced, but again we weren't overly impressed.

We think Chops is great! It's a dining 'experience' for sure. Plan 2 - 2 1/2 hours. Plan to relax and enjoy.... not eat and run to the next event.

It's the ambiance. It's the food. It's the Service. I think it makes for a Special Evening.

Same thing with Portofino's. It's a dining experinece! Enjoy!

We ate at Chops on the Freedom last year. The dining room was short staffed and it took 20 minutes for anyone to notice us and another 20 to get water. (don't let them pour from the bottles unless you want to pay for it) The service was extremely bad and we wondered why we were there. The next night we happened to mention it to our regular server in passing (complimenting her and her teams' great service as opposed to Chops). 15 minutes later the head waiter came up and apologized for our experience in Chops and offered us another dinner there for free. We did not accept, we were happy with our regular wait staff and their outstanding service. I'm sure we just got a bad night. As I recall, the food was good but nothing to brag about. If we ever decide to do it again we will choose Portofinos, now that you can buy a Chops steak in the dining room.

I think as in all things, it is up to the individual. Unless you are traveling with a friend, the actual cost is $50+. If you want to try something different and have a very special night, then it is a good option.

We ate at Chops on the Mariner two weeks ago. It was a fabulous meal and well worth the extra expense.

Many ate numerous times at Chops and Portofinos during the cruise but we couldn't justify that type of expense. Plus the food in the MDR was good. We like to do this type of dining once during the cruise and we are glad we tried it.

both chops and portofino ($25 and $20) are worth it to us. Lovely ambiance' date=' relaxed, quiet atmosphere, and delicious, beautifully prepared food. Jmho.[/quote']

i totally agree!!

To me, Chops is worth it and Portofinos is definitely worth it. Both are a significant step-up from the main dining room in terms of ambiance, service, food quality, and food presentation. You would pay significantly more for an equivalent experience on land.

I do like Chops. It is a nice break from the dining room and a quiet meal for DW and I. I miss it on the Voyager. I don't like italian so that pay restaurant is NOT to my liking. I wish they would put a chops on those ships. I doubt I would pay for the same steak to be delivered in the dining room. Much better in Chops. Give it a try and find out for your self. :D

As many have said, food is extremely subjective.

But, in my opinion, no -- Chops is not worth the upcharge. Mediocre steak at best. Incredibly bland. But it is big. Pitiful desert menu.

Go once and make your own judgment, but I am not eager to return.

The steak at Portofino was light years better.

For us the extra cost is worth it. Our dining experience is much more 'higher end' restaurant than 'hotel banquet'. The setting is quieter and the service more personal. The food on our last trip was not as good as it has been in the past (but still good). I only hope that it is not another of the 'cost cutting' victims of RCI's new budgets.

As many have said, food is extremely subjective.

But, in my opinion, no -- Chops is not worth the upcharge. Mediocre steak at best. Incredibly bland. But it is big. Pitiful desert menu.

Go once and make your own judgment, but I am not eager to return.

The steak at Portofino was light years better.

Is that Mary's or Dennis' opinion???!!?!?!?!? :eek:

We ate at Chops on the Freedom last year. The dining room was short staffed and it took 20 minutes for anyone to notice us and another 20 to get water. (don't let them pour from the bottles unless you want to pay for it) The service was extremely bad and we wondered why we were there. The next night we happened to mention it to our regular server in passing (complimenting her and her teams' great service as opposed to Chops). 15 minutes later the head waiter came up and apologized for our experience in Chops and offered us another dinner there for free. We did not accept, we were happy with our regular wait staff and their outstanding service. I'm sure we just got a bad night. As I recall, the food was good but nothing to brag about. If we ever decide to do it again we will choose Portofinos, now that you can buy a Chops steak in the dining room.

In response to the original question, what something is "worth" is utterly individual and subjective. If I feel like it, Chops is definitely worth $25. It's even worth $75 when I take my offspring there for my daughter's birthday. (and Portofino is "worth it", too). But I can also live without it.

HOWEVER:

KLMB's experience is completely rare and out-of-character, in my experience.

I am so sorry that this happened to you, but it is NOT the norm, thank goodness!

As people have said, "worth it" is totally subjective.

And a few others have said it's certainly worth more than $25, considering how much more you'd pay at a steakhouse on land.

But don't forget, it equates to eating/paying at Chops, then walking into the MDR, handing them some money and telling them, "Take my money and keep the food."

Just sayin'...don't forget you've paid for dinner in the MDR as well.

But I say go for it! :)

We have gone to chops on the dress up nights. Figured you would get the atmosphere while you are dressed up.

The steak is decent, there is no "fire" grill obviously. I think it's better than the local steak house chains.

Haven't tried portifino.

Archived