What if you don't like formal wear?

Fred66

We are a family of four going on our first ever cruise on Ventura this July. We are really looking forward to it but ..... , neither my husband or I enjoy "dressing up" and don't have any clothes that would meet the dress code for the formal evenings.

I can see we are in the minority here and most cruisers love dressing up!

Is there going to be anywhere we can get food and spend the evening if we are not in formal dress? I am worried we are going to be trapped in our cabin for four evenings!

Can't understand why you have booked a cruise with P&O, the brochure clearly states there will be some formal evenings. There are plenty of other cruise lines that offer more casual nights for people who don't want to dress up.

Its not a problem Fred, there are 4/5 formal nights on those nights you can always go the buffet restaurant. The rest will be smart/casual as long has you don't wear jeans on those nights you will be okay.

That's a relief - thank you for confirming that! We will certainly be OK for smart casual, we're just not long dress and formal suit people!

Popyy123, we chose this cruise for lots of reasons - the route, the facilities, the fact that this was one of the few ships that had an family rooms available during the school holidays .... I was well aware of the formal requirements but figured that one issue was no reason to not go? I just don't want to go hungry those nights!

Are there public areas we will be able to spend those 4 evenings without looking under dressed?

We went on the Artemis and are going on the Oriana.

We ate in evening buffets every night and no one cares how you are dressed there[as long as you were reasonably smart i.e not wearing jeans or shorts even then nobody would bother]

I get really annoyed with these people who think you should not go P and O just because you don't want to dress up.

Like you we get other things out of a cruise and being dressed to the nines isn't one of them

Just enjoy and don't worry about how you are dressed

Mark:):):)

Would you not consider making the effort to join in? You might enjoy it. Its not that hard to dress up a bit. You dont need to go over the top. A bow tie with a dark suit would prob be OK & long dresses for women are widely available- dont have to spend a fortune. On our first cruise we worried about it but I borrowed 2 dresses & got one in a charity shop. Enough (fake) jewllery & I felt a million dollars (but cost about 2 quid!) Its lovely seeing everybody dressed up & you might feel a bit left out if you didnt. Have a go? Either way I`m sure you`ll have a lovely holiday. You just cant beat a cruise!

Ventura is not the smartest ship afloat by a long way, and it is perfectly possible to dine well without formal dress. The Beach House American diner does not have a cover charge and does not require pre booking. We found it excellent and ate there a few times. Also the Waterside buffet serves very good food in the evening without the crush you get at breakfast and lunch. There are also other dining options aboard and formal dress is only required in the dining rooms.

Take no notice of comments about why did you book etc. You can happily go to any part of the ship in smart gear and not feel out of place. You will see all sorts of dress styles; just wear what you feel good in and enjoy Ventura for what it is - see my later posting for how we liked it!!

David.

It's a shame you can't be bothered to dress up just for 4 nights. I do hope that you will not be attending the captains welcome on board party as that is a formal night where formal dress is required.

Poppy, I agree, why book a formal cruise if you do not like formal cruising!

There are plenty of cruise ships that cater for those that like informal/relaxed dress codes, why not consider one of those?

I believe you may feel uncomfortable wearing non formal clothes on formal nights wherever you may go in the ship (on P&O).

Most P&O passengers dress up, I don't understand when people do not want to make the effort, for me it is all part of the cruise experience.

HTH

Gerry

Poppy, I agree, why book a formal cruise if you do not like formal cruising!

There are plenty of cruise ships that cater for those that like informal/relaxed dress codes, why not consider one of those?

I believe you may feel uncomfortable wearing non formal clothes on formal nights wherever you may go in the ship (on P&O).

Most P&O passengers dress up, I don't understand when people do not want to make the effort, for me it is all part of the cruise experience.

HTH

Gerry

Yes, but not everybody is like you Gerry, Fred has explained in post 4 his reasons for sailing with P/O, least you can do is respect them.

Fred66

The formal nights are not all long dresses nowadays, lots of pretty short dresses in the shops suitable for formal nights and trousers with a glitzy top are fine too.

You certainly won't go hungry on formal nights plenty of places to eat

If Ventura was a traditional straight laced quality cruise ship or liner the comments about the importance of formallity might be valid.

Face it folks, Ventura is Butlins afloat, and I don't think you would find a lot of dicky bows there.

David.

It's a shame you can't be bothered to dress up just for 4 nights. I do hope that you will not be attending the captains welcome on board party as that is a formal night where formal dress is required.

Can't be bothered??? What an attitude!! If the poster does not enjoy dressing up why should that be seen as can't be bothered???

A holiday is something that you should enjoy, relish and look forward to and not feel you have to conform to the standards set by flaming Hyacinth Bucket.

You go and enjoy yourself any damned way you please Fred. Personally I love the formal evenings but I certainly would not think badly of anyone who didn't share my enjoyment.

I am sure that most people on board will allow you to savour every moment any damned way you like, as YOU are the one who has paid for it.

Have fun :)

A number of points.

1. Ventura is not Butlins afloat. (No more than any other cruise ship). In Jan of this year 99% of men wore Bow ties.

2. People go on P&O because they have an air of formality.

3. I would not tell any one what they had to wear.

4. I do find it very unhelpful when someone is told it will be OK to wear casual on a formal night and that they will fit in when in my experience 95% of men will wear a DJ and 4.5 % a dark suit. This leaves very few people who have not conformed and do stand out.

5. Of course someone can wear what they like on a formal night as long as they know that they will be in a tiny minority and will be OK with that. They must know that they will stand out like sore thumbs. If 10% or 20% did not conform then that might be different.

6. On our last cruise on

Ventura

we saw no one not dressed

appropriately

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

Can't be bothered??? What an attitude!! If the poster does not enjoy dressing up why should that be seen as can't be bothered???

A holiday is something that you should enjoy, relish and look forward to and not feel you have to conform to the standards set by flaming Hyacinth Bucket.

You go and enjoy yourself any damned way you please Fred. Personally I love the formal evenings but I certainly would not think badly of anyone who didn't share my enjoyment.

I am sure that most people on board will allow you to savour every moment any damned way you like, as YOU are the one who has paid for it.

Have fun :)

As long as they know that they could be the only ones not dressed according to the dress code of the day.

Dai

As long as they know that they could be the only ones not dressed according to the dress code of the day.

Dai

Dai the only dress code is in the restaurants. I have seen many people both on P&O and Princess who opt not to join in with the formal dress. Yes they are certainly in the minority but who cares?

I love cruising, love the glitz and the occasion but despise the snobbery which often creeps into the whole subject.

Dai the only dress code is in the restaurants. I have seen many people both on P&O and Princess who opt not to join in with the formal dress. Yes they are certainly in the minority but who cares?

I love cruising, love the glitz and the occasion but despise the snobbery which often creeps into the whole subject.

Sorry you are wrong.

The dress code is for the whole ship for all the night. There are notices posted in some of the bars. I have seen people asked to leave if in casual clothing.

In any case as I have said on all of our cruises there have been very few who have not conformed.

If you can cope with being one of the very few not to have dressed up then fine. But do not tell others it is fine without telling them how they will stand out.

Dai

But do not tell others it is fine without telling them how they will stand out.

Like a sore thumb......................:eek::eek:

Only if you hit it:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Dai

I wouldn't worry Fred, this Poppy person has only posted twice and only on this topic. Its somebody hopeing to cause trouble from one of the other boards.

Unlike someone who has posted many, many times and never has trouble on her mind.

:D

Archived