What if you don't like formal wear?

Fred66

Thank you for all the feedback - and support (Stopgo!!). I will take up Nippysweetie suggestion and see if I can cadge a suitable dress( I am a female Fred!!) so I can try one of the evenings and see how we get on From other comments I have read you can get away with wearing the same outfit more than once so I could even up up going to all of them! Don't worry Poppy123 I have no intention of going to the Captain's Do!!

I wouldn't want spend the formal evenings in an area where everyone else was formally dressed through. I can see that that would be inappropariate and we might well feel uncomfortable and out of place. Are there public rooms where we could spend the evening and be less likely to be surrounded by cocktail dresses?

Surely four formal nights do not make a cruise ship a "Formal Cruise"! We can wear what we like in the day, something smart enough for 10 evenings and have this issue for just four evenings out of the fourteen. I have researched the type of cruise that I think will suit our family and Ventura ticks most of the boxes. We knew that Cunard would not be for us!!!

Just posting Freds reply, we seem to have gone off topic.

Just posting Freds reply, we seem to have gone off topic.

not really we are discussing the welcome aboard party and formal nights which fred would miss for the sake of putting a frock on....trying to convince her to go for it at least once!

BY THE WAY you go off topic quite often when arguing with gerry, and all others?

I notice you hardly ever give some advice or answer the question as well, just pick holes in other peoples answers...??

LOL, I wondered how long before the moderator stepped in!

:D

Never long before dear old Mystic Stopgo(b)/Fastforward pops out of the woodwork. However, is my memory failing me, or did he/she/it go desperately off-topic only yesterday?:D

Sir Martin

Two weeks tonight I will be trying out Orianas welcome aboard party;)

Snap! Will look out for you Libralass!!

Although we were on her 5 weeks ago and alas, I saw no canapes!! Maybe they had been eaten before we arrived but don't think so.

Fred - hope you have a wonderful cruise and do let us know what you thought of everything!

not really we are discussing the welcome aboard party and formal nights which fred would miss for the sake of putting a frock on....trying to convince her to go for it at least once!

BY THE WAY you go off topic quite often when arguing with gerry, and all others?

I notice you hardly ever give some advice or answer the question as well, just pick holes in other peoples answers...??

Sorry Sue, but I don't see how posting photos of yourself drinking G/TS is keeping to the topic. Why in such a bad mood today ?

What if you don't like formal wear?

Well answering this is a no brainer.

Its the same as

What do you do if you don't like mountaineering OR

What do you do if you don't like city vacations OR

what do you do if you don't like the Caribbean.

SIMPLY choose something you do like.

I for one would not consider a vacation if there were aspects of it which I particularly did not like.

Cb

Fred, it is your comfort that is important. Clearly you would be uncomfortable to be next to Poppy at the cocktail party or in the dining room. Well, you don't have to.

You say you are comfortable with smart casual then you will be accepted happily on the formal nights too. While 99% of passengers conform (I made that percentage up) it means that 10-20 don't.

If you have a dark jacket, blazer and tie or whatever that will be fine. If Mrs Fred has a cocktail dress or similar, then that is fine too.

If you feel uncomfortable not conforming then there are plenty of places where this will not matter. In the theatre, for instance, many men take their jackets off and display their braces (suspenders), now that, in my book is a complete No-no :D but clearly they are not uncomfortable.

Just be your normal self, and your question displays a degree of sensitivity not displayed by some others here, and enjoy yourselves.

Fred, it is your comfort that is important. Clearly you would be uncomfortable to be next to Poppy at the cocktail party or in the dining room. Well, you don't have to.

You say you are comfortable with smart casual then you will be accepted happily on the formal nights too. While 99% of passengers conform (I made that percentage up) it means that 10-20 don't.

If you have a dark jacket, blazer and tie or whatever that will be fine. If Mrs Fred has a cocktail dress or similar, then that is fine too.

If you feel uncomfortable not conforming then there are plenty of places where this will not matter. In the theatre, for instance, many men take their jackets off and display their braces (suspenders), now that, in my book is a complete No-no :D but clearly they are not uncomfortable.

Just be your normal self, and your question displays a degree of sensitivity not displayed by some others here, and enjoy yourselves.

Come on PN keep up Fred is Mrs Fred.:D:D:D

Happy cruising

:cool:

Dai

i wear a suit/ dress up everyday and dnt specifically enjoy dressing up when i want to relax!

go on another cruise is simply not an option because

they do not do the ROUTE i want, WHEN i want

i prefer po to other liners because of their more mature attitude (though by judging by this thread, i should really reconsider)

'cruise critic' seems to be judging and critisising individuals i feel a name change may be in order

keep posting mrs fred!!!

and do not be put off by peoples rude and ignorant remarks

You obviously know of the high standards of Butlin restaurants in order to compare, this gives your background away.

Well of course we don't want the great unwashed defiling the beautiful Ventura. Background? Is that another word for "class"

David.

Well of course we don't want the great unwashed defiling the beautiful Ventura. Background? Is that another word for "class"

David.

If you think it is another word for class, you have answered you own question.

Well I for one don't relate the desire of not wanting to dress up as in any way lacking class. In fact we have a number of 'classy' friends who do not choose to cruise because they 'they think' would not enjoy some of the formality.

Cb

Snap! Will look out for you Libralass!!

Although we were on her 5 weeks ago and alas, I saw no canapes!! Maybe they had been eaten before we arrived but don't think so.

Fred - hope you have a wonderful cruise and do let us know what you thought of everything!

Hi there Scorpio

Yes if you see me do say hello (don't know what you look like so i can't look out for you)

I am holding a get together for cruisechat members from the pando site, here and crowsnest site at noon on the first day at sea - Sunday in the Crows Nest, if you have nothing planned do come along I'll be in there then till about 1pm...

Sue

Well I for one don't relate the desire of not wanting to dress up as in any way lacking class. In fact we have a number of 'classy' friends who do not choose to cruise because they 'they think' would not enjoy some of the formality.

Cb

Point well made C/B, I don't think class comes into it. Some people like dressing up some don't there should be room for both, has there is for smokers and non-smokers.

Point well made C/B, I don't think class comes into it. Some people like dressing up some don't there should be room for both, has there is for smokers and non-smokers.

There is room for both, there are plenty of cruises that cater for both tastes.

Now that is taking things too far:mad: Make emm walk the gang plank:eek:

:)Happy Cruising:)

:cool:

Dai

Archived