Three wheel scooters

ranchette

My Pride go go elite is going with me tomorrow on it's 3rd cruise! It's a lifesaver, gives me my total independence and virtually gets me everyplace, even on the gang planks, have to be careful so as not to hang it up on the BIG humps!

This is a great forum and comments are very enlightning! A brief clarification. We keep in very close communication with all Cruise Line access desks and regulatory bodies in terms of exactly "what" we need to provide for guests and what restrictions are in effect. The most applicable restriction is the width of the scooter and can it fit through a standard cabin door.

For purposes of adhering to these regulations and providing the absolute best product available, we're converted our entire fleet of over 700 Light & Mid Size Scooters to the Pride Gogo product. These scooters can accommodate up to 300 lb's. Width of this scooter is 21.125". Standard Cabin door width is 24" with 23" usable after calculating for the actual opening available. Having cruised many times (more than I'd like to count), I'm the first one to say that even though the scooter fits through the doorway, the trail may end there, depending on the stateroom type and configuration. Unfortunately, we can only assess the compliancy of the scooter type based on "maximum width of the scooter and the doorway width".

I'll also say that our people are not perfect but human. They can err from time to time, but we are very open and receptive to comments, concerns and complaints. We do listen, read and watch in our efforts to make things a little easier for those who need the help.

Forums like this are an incredible tool in exchanging info, opinions and honest advise. Way to go and keep it up!:)

I loved the Go Go, didn't try to take it thru a regular cabin door, but my only complaint was the floor clearance. I wish they could raise it some.

Mona; Just came across your question. I rented a scooter from Special Needs at Sea for a 7 day cruise on the RCCL Voyager OTS. It fit through

the cabin (JS) easily and we had adequate 'parking' space for it.

I, however, have just rented a scooter from Care Vacations for a short

Memorial Day cruise out of Miami and - after reading these posts - am

concerned.

Fair Oaks Cruiser - according to the post by CVPRES, all of the scooters are Go Gos. If they are, it seems as if they will fit through the door. I'm still calling Princess to see if a h/c cabin opens up, but I'm not hopeful.

What cruise are you on over Memorial Day? Sounds like a nice weekend getaway!!

Mona

I took my personal scooter onboard Oceania's Regatta last year for a two week cruise from Barcelona to Venice and was able to get it into our regular sized cabin. It's a Sonic Pride and I parked it next to the desk. It was a little cramped, but we only had the scooter in the room at night. I also took it on several shore excursions.

I'm getting set to take it to Alaska on the Saphire Princess in two weeks, where we have a HC cabin, so it should be even easier then.

Looking at the Pride Go Go Ultra x 3 Wheel Travel Scooter. The size looks good, Length: 36.5’’. Width: 19.25”. Turning Radius: 32.5’’. But the clearance is only 2.625”. DH would only use it for cruising and the price is under $800.00 but should we pay more for a better scooter? The maximum speed is 4.25 MPH, DH weighs 225 pounds, and do you think the scooter can make the ramps?

Last question; how do you pack the scooter for the airplane trip? Thank you for your help.

Looking at the Pride Go Go Ultra x 3 Wheel Travel Scooter. The size looks good, Length: 36.5’’. Width: 19.25”. Turning Radius: 32.5’’. But the clearance is only 2.625”. DH would only use it for cruising and the price is under $800.00 but should we pay more for a better scooter? The maximum speed is 4.25 MPH, DH weighs 225 pounds, and do you think the scooter can make the ramps?

Last question; how do you pack the scooter for the airplane trip? Thank you for your help.

You don't pack it for the airline trip. You ride it to the gate and they take it and put it in the hold. Or you check it when you check your bags and then let them provide a WC to the gate your choice. always keep your key when you check it and remove anthing loose and take on board with you, basket etc.

It is very wise to take pictures of the scooter AT THE GATE WITH A GATE AGENT in the picture, because in the event of damage, they will try to say it was already damaged and you will have proof it was not, having a copy of the days paper on it helps too LOL get name etc. of the gate agent as well as the picture.

You don't pack it for the airline trip. You ride it to the gate and they take it and put it in the hold. Or you check it when you check your bags and then let them provide a WC to the gate your choice. always keep your key when you check it and remove anthing loose and take on board with you, basket etc.

It is very wise to take pictures of the scooter AT THE GATE WITH A GATE AGENT in the picture, because in the event of damage, they will try to say it was already damaged and you will have proof it was not, having a copy of the days paper on it helps too LOL get name etc. of the gate agent as well as the picture.

WOW! Thanks.

Yes. I rode the scooter to the gate at Dulles when we went on our European cruise and off it went, in one piece, into the hold. We changed planes in Frankfurt and used a wheelchair to go between gates there. With fingers crossed we waited at baggage claim in Barcelona and, there it was, riding on the carousel! Same deal on the way home from Venice.

At Dulles, it took some extra time to convince the ticket agent that it was a dry battery, which they insisted be disconnected, and that it was okay to fly the scooter. This, even though we provided details to the airline weeks in advance. (Be sure to do this...and they'll want dimensions and weight). It took a little less time in Venice. The only real snag was returning to Dulles where they insisted I ride a wheelchair from the gate to baggage claim, but then they brought the scooter to the gate. It took an hour to reunite the scooter with us at baggage claim.

The Pride Sonic is 22" wide, 37" long and 31" high. Ground clearance is 1.75" and it's turning radius is 34". It travels up to 4.25mph and is supposed to be able to go 10 miles on one battery charge, though I've never tried it. It's total weight is about 110 pounds and it's supposed to hold a person weighing up to 300 pounds.

Hope this all helps.

Ed

One more thing.....when I went ashore with the scooter I was able to ride it up and down MOST of the ramps to the pier. The one time the ramp was too steep I walked up and down and two crew members carried the scooter off and on the ship.

Also, on shore, in Europe, there are few curb cuts...but most of the curbs are so old that they usually flow right into the street and the end of a block. When they didn't, I was able to find a driveway to use.

On the ship, I went everywhere with it. And, the one day the seas were rough I had an easier time getting around onboard than most people who were walking!

I'm rethinking which scooter to purchase for traveling. The Pride Rally has 3 " floor clearance, but the heaviest part is 49 lbs when you take it apart to put in the trunk vs 20 something for the Go Go. I loved the Go Go, maybe I can just deal with it getting stuck and take it out of gear and push it.:rolleyes:

One more thing.....when I went ashore with the scooter I was able to ride it up and down MOST of the ramps to the pier. The one time the ramp was too steep I walked up and down and two crew members carried the scooter off and on the ship.

Also, on shore, in Europe, there are few curb cuts...but most of the curbs are so old that they usually flow right into the street and the end of a block. When they didn't, I was able to find a driveway to use.

On the ship, I went everywhere with it. And, the one day the seas were rough I had an easier time getting around onboard than most people who were walking!

You have been great with your advice; hate to bother you with another one or two questions but need to know. How do you handle the scooter with a taxi; do you have to break it down to fit into the trunk? Do all travel scooters have a dry (?) battery, if not how do you make them dry, you can see I do not have a clue? I will be doing work but not the riding should we get a scooter, I do not mind but need to be ready for the job. Again, thanks.

Rae

My friends have rented a scooter from Care vacations. I think it is the small go go one. How long does it take to charge and for how long does it run on the battery?

It should be charged when you get to your cabin. If you plug it in overnight (6-8 hours), it'll last you through the day. I usually make sure to turn it off when I know I'll be in one place for awhile, just in case. But I've not ever been stuck somewhere with it not working.

If you charge it over night it should be OK for all day use. However weight of the passenger can impact usage distance/time. Therefore I always recommend that you take the charger with when out and about. This way if you have a problem , it can be charged and don't have to worry about be pushed back to your cabin/or ship. The Pride GO GO has a packet behind the chair back for the charger which makes this easy. :)

I'm rethinking which scooter to purchase for traveling. The Pride Rally has 3 " floor clearance, but the heaviest part is 49 lbs when you take it apart to put in the trunk vs 20 something for the Go Go. I loved the Go Go, maybe I can just deal with it getting stuck and take it out of gear and push it.:rolleyes:

So far the Pride Go Go Ultra sounds like the best buy for us. Ground clearance is listed as 2.625” on some web-sites, and on others 3” (?) but love the fact the overall width is 19.25” and overall length is 36.5”. I wondered about paying another $100.00 for the Elite but the company said I would be well off with the Ultra. At this time just doing the research and will hold off making the buy until later. Use to be I would file everything in my mind, now I print it out and into the filing cabinet it goes.

Let me know what you come up with?

R

I have a pride go go that has been on three carnival cruises. On one I had a modified cabin (wider door, but no roll in shower), on one a fully modified cabin (wide door, roll in shower, extra room to manuver) and on the last I had a regular cabin. I have always been able to get it in the door, though it wasn't easy in the regular cabin. It was hard to have enough space to turn straight into the door, and there wasn't much room to park the scooter. If you are somewhat mobile (as I am lucky to be) you should be okay. I have never had problems with the ramps onto and off of the ships, but do hang up on some of the thresholds on the doors if I do not get up pretty good speed to make it through. Someone had questions about how the scooter could be placed into the trunks of taxis. The scooter will break down into four parts, but you do not have to break it all of the way down to put it into most trunks. just remove the seat, and fold down the tiller, most people can then lift it into the trunk of the car with no problem. Sorry for the long post, I hope this helps all of those who are thinking about renting or buying this great little scooter.

Suggest you contact a local Medical Equipment Retailer in you local area. You'll most likely be able to actually try a GO GO out. In fact my local retailer has some they rent a on daily basis for around $30 a day. If that's available to you in your area it might well be worth it before buying unseen from the internet. Just a thought.

I have a Golden II -- bought off the internet 2 years ago from a CA company. It's been on many cruises with me and NEVER had a problem. It fits in a Nissan Maxima (small) trunk broken down. It does 26 miles on a charge and 5 mph. One thing, if I was buying now, I would concern myself more with the comfort of the seat and the leg room -- as on cruises really use it a lot. Don't be afraid to order off the internet -- you'll save a lot of money. It is very sturdy and handles rough terrain. In Hawaii it even did compacted sand, and uneven stone in Mexico. Vicki

Suggest you contact a local Medical Equipment Retailer in you local area. You'll most likely be able to actually try a GO GO out. In fact my local retailer has some they rent a on daily basis for around $30 a day. If that's available to you in your area it might well be worth it before buying unseen from the internet. Just a thought.
I did rent a Go Go on my cruise last month. I loved it...just got caught on a few threshholds.

I took a look and that does look interesting. They seem to have a good price too. Will try to find one locally to try out before I buy online.

Thanks for the input.:D

Please let me know what you think after giving it a try!

R

• 1 month later...

We purchased one of these and can't imagine how I got around without them. They fold up easily to take through any cabin door as well as fitting nicely in the trunk of a car. We purchased an additional battery we keep charged and with us on excursions in case it's needed. I weigh 235 pounds and it carries me easily.

Highly recommend. http://www.planetmobility.com/store/scooters/planet/lexuslight/index.html

I am able to walk around in the house office with no problem but have difficulty when walking distances and over a long period of time, like when touring. I've been looking at the Lexius Light and the Travelscoot for our upcoming Transatlantic cruise...anyone have experience with either of these in regular cabins?

http://www.planetmobility.com/store/scooters/planet/lexuslight/index.html

http://www.travelscoot.com/index.htm

Archived