Three wheel scooters

ranchette

I have a travelscoot and have used it on a cruise but not in a regular room as I can no longer manage the step up into the standard bathroom.

Kat, have you had your Scoot very long? I am curious on how well it stands the test of time as it is quite an investment.

Kat, have you had your Scoot very long? I am curious on how well it stands the test of time as it is quite an investment.

Suggest you email Hardy the owner of Travelscoot. The website has the email address. You can ask Hardy if there is anyone in your local area that may have purchased a travelscoot. If so he might be able to put you in touch with them directly so you could see the unit first hand. I did that , and glad I did . Though the travelscoot is certainly easy to transport , the foot bar does not provide me the stabilty to keep my foot in place. I need something more like a Pride GoGo with a flat foot bed.

I got mine last September and so far so good. I am pleased with it. I did purchase an extra drive belt since I didn't want to be half way somewhere and have it pop but it is fine and does not look worn. I will be ready however. I also bought a second lithium battery for extra distance but have also not had to use that. It has as much power as I need. The positives are how it collapses and how easy it is to stow. For me, given my height 6 ft 2 inches and lack of balance the only problem I have had is standing up from the scooter. I have managed this by putting one foot into the open space behind the front wheel and the other on the outside and using two canes to balance with.

There's a woman named Bee who posts on my blog (http://mytravelscoot.blogspot.com) and she and her husband have had TravelScoots for over a year. They use them for cruises, shopping, and Bee uses hers to drive to the clubhouse near her home. They have one with a lithium ion battery and one with the SLA battery. She said they are working great. Pictures of her using her TravelScoot are at http://mytravelscoot.blogspot.com/2009/05/bees-cup-holder.html.

There's also a man named Daniel I've blogged about who has had his for two years. There's a picture of him riding his through a forest. You can see the post at http://mytravelscoot.blogspot.com/2009/06/daniel-in-siemianowice-poland-forest.html. He praises his too.

Suggest you email Hardy the owner of Travelscoot. The website has the email address. You can ask Hardy if there is anyone in your local area that may have purchased a travelscoot. If so he might be able to put you in touch with them directly so you could see the unit first hand. I did that , and glad I did . Though the travelscoot is certainly easy to transport , the foot bar does not provide me the stabilty to keep my foot in place. I need something more like a Pride GoGo with a flat foot bed.

Hardy is going to be at a conference in our general area end of July and I plan on checking it out at that time. The foot bar is one of my concerns as well.

Elizabeth, is sure looks like Daniel has put a lot of milage on his!

I am going on a cruise on the Explorer of the Seas in July. I met a lady who plans accessible trips and she told me I picked a very accessible ship. I told her I was going to rent a scooter and she looked at mine and said you can take that one. Now I think mine is too big but she says no. I was hoping someone could help me (not that I don't trust her, just this is my first time bringing a scooter on a cruise). I have a 4 wheel Pride Celebrity-X. The length is 46.5" (47?), and it is 24" wide with a turning radius of I believe over 50" (55 maybe). I do have a HC cabin and I hear they asre large. If it helps I'll be on Deck 10 in 1337.

I never heard of the travel scoot but it looks like a great scooter.

The only problem I have is people who don't have disabilities buying or renting any scooter and taking room that someone really needs. Has anyone heard any horror stories along this line.

I am going on a cruise on the Explorer of the Seas in July. I met a lady who plans accessible trips and she told me I picked a very accessible ship. I told her I was going to rent a scooter and she looked at mine and said you can take that one. Now I think mine is too big but she says no. I was hoping someone could help me (not that I don't trust her, just this is my first time bringing a scooter on a cruise). I have a 4 wheel Pride Celebrity-X. The length is 46.5" (47?), and it is 24" wide with a turning radius of I believe over 50" (55 maybe). I do have a HC cabin and I hear they asre large. If it helps I'll be on Deck 10 in 1337.

The only problem I have is people who don't have disabilities buying or renting any scooter and taking room that someone really needs. Has anyone heard any horror stories along this line.

I can't tell you anything about whether your scooter will/won't fit into your handicap accessible cabin, but I can offer these observations:

It may be challenging for you to get into the public bathrooms on the ship. They're not very big, you and your scooter will take up a lot of space. Can you walk at all? I often see lots of scooters "parked" outside the door of the bathrooms, and assume that folks have parked there, gone in to use the bathroom, and will come back out to their scooters.

As for your comment, "people who don't have disabilities buying or renting any scooter and taking room that someone really needs": There are all sorts of legitimate reasons why someone may book a handicap accessible cabin and not use either a scooter or wheelchair or power chair. And there is an entire thread on this board talking about people who don't need an HC cabin and who book one, and who are "called out" on it..not that it makes much difference.

But folks with all sorts of disabilities, primarily mobility issues but other things too, do book HC cabins. It's not any sort of requirement that you must have a scooter, wheelchair or power chair to make use of the amenities offered in an HC cabin.

If you have a handicap cabin , the scooter you already own will fit with no problem. Many people take their personal non travel size scooter or electric wheelchair with them . But as another person posted depending on the ship it may not fit into any public washrooms on the ship. However you do have the option of always returning to your room to use the washroom. Personally if I already owned a scooter such as yours I would probaby spare the expense of buying/renting a travel scooter.

Regarding your statement " The only problem I have is people who don't have disabilities buying or renting any scooter and taking room that someone really needs. Has anyone heard any horror stories along this"line" Able body people will always find a way to book a HC cabin for the extra room. However can't beleive that even an able body person would go to such extremes as to purchase extremely costy mobility equipment just to get the extra space.

Not only would people not buy mobility equipment just to get an HC cabin, I really doubt they'd bother to rent it either! Renting can be very costly. They find other ways to book the cabins without having to spend more $$.

When I go to a theme park or other attraction that rents scooters I get one. It may appear that I don't need one and I may appear able-bodied, but if I didn't rent a scooter I would be in terrible pain and wouldn't be able to walk for the next 2 days. Are you suggesting, because I don't appear to be handicapped, that I should suffer for 3 days in order to visit a theme park? Tell that to my grandchildren!:D

Judge not, lest ye be judged and found wanting.

Spike

there's a whole thread about AB booking HC cabins. Problem isn't with them renting scooter. Problem is why do WE have to book so far ahead, only to discover that AB has rented cabin? Some even boast about getting a big HC cabin.:eek:

Regarding your statement " The only problem I have is people who don't have disabilities buying or renting any scooter and taking room that someone really needs. Has anyone heard any horror stories along this"line" Able body people will always find a way to book a HC cabin for the extra room. However can't beleive that even an able body person would go to such extremes as to purchase extremely costy mobility equipment just to get the extra space.

When I go to a theme park or other attraction that rents scooters I get one. It may appear that I don't need one and I may appear able-bodied, but if I didn't rent a scooter I would be in terrible pain and wouldn't be able to walk for the next 2 days. Are you suggesting, because I don't appear to be handicapped, that I should suffer for 3 days in order to visit a theme park? Tell that to my grandchildren!:D

Judge not, lest ye be judged and found wanting.

Spike

1) DO NOT put words in my mouth. I plainly said people who don't need it. I know better than you think about "invisible Disabilities".

2) If you need a scooter in a theme park and are legit, I have no problem with that.

3) If someone has a disability that does not require a HC room, DO NOT take it. I know a lot of people with disabilities who go without because people needlessly use services and/or supplies that are essential.

I have a friend, who knows I ned a wheelchair, and he told me people that go to bars buy scooters and misuse "mobility equipment. I went into a store one day and was told I couldn't use my scooter in the store, because of people like that, when I told him I needed it he proceeded to ask me about my disability to confirm. I NEVER went back and never will.

there's a whole thread about AB booking HC cabins. Problem isn't with them renting scooter. Problem is why do WE have to book so far ahead, only to discover that AB has rented cabin? Some even boast about getting a big HC cabin.:eek:

Where can I find this thread???

Also, I hear that new restrictions are being put in place for reserving HC cabins. I know most people who have no disabilities whatsoever can get Doctors notes and such but maybe it'll help control who books the HC cabins better.

1) DO NOT put words in my mouth. I plainly said people who don't need it. I know better than you think about "invisible Disabilities".

2) If you need a scooter in a theme park and are legit, I have no problem with that.

3) If someone has a disability that does not require a HC room, DO NOT take it. I know a lot of people with disabilities who go without because people needlessly use services and/or supplies that are essential.

I have a friend, who knows I ned a wheelchair, and he told me people that go to bars buy scooters and misuse "mobility equipment. I went into a store one day and was told I couldn't use my scooter in the store, because of people like that, when I told him I needed it he proceeded to ask me about my disability to confirm. I NEVER went back and never will.

That's a rather broad statement your friend made: "...people that go to bars buy scooters and misues mobility equipment". On what does he base that? I hang out in bars way more than I should... :o and have not run into anyone who would fit that statement at all.

That's a rather broad statement your friend made: "...people that go to bars buy scooters and misues mobility equipment". On what does he base that? I hang out in bars way more than I should... :o and have not run into anyone who would fit that statement at all.

What is unclear? People get too drunk and use scooters (mobility) to help them get home.

I knew this guy at my college who parked his scooter outside of a bar and someone stole it.

What is unclear? People get too drunk and use scooters (mobility) to help them get home.

I knew this guy at my college who parked his scooter outside of a bar and someone stole it.

Are you talking about a 2-wheeled scooter -- like a "mini-motorcycle", or what is truly a scooter designed for people with disabilities? Those are two very different things. If you're trying to get into a store with a 2-wheeled mini-motorcycle, the store owner has every right to deny you entrance. A 3 or 4 wheeled battery operated scooter (not gas) that is used by people with disabilities is a far different matter.

I don't know about others in this thread but my experiences are with Mobility Scooters ONLY and even if they weren't a 2 wheel scooter getting stolen is not even worth posting. Hmmmm... I thought this whole thread was about disabilities and Mobility scooters. Am I wrong????

I don't know about others in this thread but my experiences are with Mobility Scooters ONLY and even if they weren't a 2 wheel scooter getting stolen is not even worth posting. Hmmmm... I thought this whole thread was about disabilities and Mobility scooters. Am I wrong????

A two-wheeled gas powered scooter that is useable on the street, that goes more than 4-5 miles per hour on gas, is NOT a "mobility scooter". And so no, it is not suitable to be discussing a GAS scooter being stolen from outside a bar, being taken by college kids.

MOBILITY scooters are battery operated, don't go faster than 4-5 miles per hour, are 3 or 4 wheeled, people sit in them (not ride on them!), use hand controls to operate them, and are not suitable for riding in traffic, or "street legal".

You're talking about an entirely different scooter situation.

No!!!!! He has a disability! The bar was a college bar off campus (across the street). He is a little person and had a MOBILITY Scooter adapted for his use that was stolen. The one I was questioned about in the store was a Pride Celebrity X (MOBILITY Scooter) I have a disability. This thread is not for gas powered mini-bikes as you call them. If you want to discuss those this is the wrong forum.

No!!!!! He has a disability! The bar was a college bar off campus (across the street). He is a little person and had a MOBILITY Scooter adapted for his use that was stolen. The one I was questioned about in the store was a Pride Celebrity X (MOBILITY Scooter) I have a disability. This thread is not for gas powered mini-bikes as you call them. If you want to discuss those this is the wrong forum.

So, you are talking about ONE example of someone's mobility scooter being stolen, but phrased it as "PEOPLE (plural) getting too drunk...etc." Which was the confusing thing -- sounded like MANY scooters got stolen from college kids (who tend to use/buy the 2-wheeled scooters to get around campus). I'm sorry your friends scooter got stolen.

Here is the thread that talks about people not needing handicap-accessible cabins that book them..and then come to cruise critic and brag about how they've "snagged" such a cabin:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=311686

You asked for the link in an earlier post.

Thank you for the post.

You confused 2 of my posts. 1) was people who get drunk and my friend X told me they use mobility scooters because they can't walk

2) This guy I know at college who got his mobility scooter stolen outside of a bar.

2 totally separate stories all together

Thank you for the post.

You confused 2 of my posts. 1) was people who get drunk and my friend X told me they use mobility scooters because they can't walk

2) This guy I know at college who got his mobility scooter stolen outside of a bar.

2 totally separate stories all together

OK..

and where do these people who get drunk GET the mobility scooters they use? Or is your friend suggesting that they rent (or otherwise get) mobility scooters for use expressly because they expect to get drunk, and then have a means to get back to their cabin..or home..or wherever?

I've been on several cruises. I've not ever seen someone on a scooter who is otherwise a mobile person who has spent the money (last fall when I looked into renting a scooter --ended up renting a power chair instead -- rental of a scooter was in the $250 range for a weeks cruise) to rent a scooter to use on a ship so that they would have a means to get back to their cabin.

While the cruise ships do have manual wheelchairs for use - -and I have seen cruise crew members wheeling obviously drunk people back to their cabins using one of those chairs, I'd hope that someone who is drunk -- whether they actually need a scooter or not! -- wouldn't try to navigate through a cruise ship back to their cabin! They're tricky enough to use sometimes without compounding the problem being drunk!

So can you get some elaboration from your friend? Has he actually seen this, or known someone who did this?

Nice thing happened; I was in Lowe’s while DH sat in our car. I happened to see a man in a 3-wheel GO-Go scooter (the one I wanted for my DH) I asked him how he liked it and he subsequently show me how it worked, taking it apart etc.. He had broken his back ten years ago and fought the scooter but now would not trade it for anything. He also said he has a larger scooter but prefers the Go-Go (19” wide, he weighs 245 pounds). I was impressed. After shopping and leaving the store my DH told me he watched a man with an electric scooter arrived at his van, load his scooter with a lift and drive away only to return to ask DH if his wife was shopping in the store? DH said yes: then this great guy showed all there was to see about the Go-Go. Yea! DH is now in the Go-Go mode. It was better than 1,000 words from me.

Archived