5/3 Mariner Review

We booked a Mexican Riviera cruise over 8 months ago. This was to be our second cruise, with our previous one on The Adventure of the Seas exactly a year ago. I was completely packed by the previous Tuesday (before the Sunday departure) only to learn late Tuesday evening that we were completely rerouted up the Pacific Northwest Coast. What was once a singular suitcase of 4 bikinis and warmer climate clothing became two suitcases of sweaters and rain gear. I also packed a positive attitude. We booked an Inside, but to our delight, upon checking-in at San Pedro, received multiple upgrades to a Deluxe Oceanview with Balcony. Thank you to the Upgrade Overlords!!

More to come........

Any questions??

Can't wait to read the rest of your review.

I just rescheduled our Mariner cruise for later because I have no desire to go North. I'm hoping that it doesn' get rerouted, but if it does then so be it...

Thanks Joyful for starting a review. I've been anxiously combing the boards looking for one specifically from your cruise!

A couple of questions... Usually we love sea days, but now having 3 of them in what I suspect will be murkey, chilly weather has me concerned. Did you guys find plenty to keep you busy?

How was dining room/Windjammer? Any chance you kind of remember the menus? We booked Portofino on Thursday night, based on someone's previous cruise menu order... but I'm thinking they may have changed the order now considering the change in ports.

Tell us what you did in all of the ports. We have nothing scheduled, just thinking we would wing it depending on the weather.

Eagerly awaiting more...

Ann

With all due respect to personal opinions of how RCI handled OBC, FCC or other forms of compensation for Mariner’s previous week’s (4/26-5/3) sailing versus the current rerouted sailings, I would appreciate your not flaming this post for what we did experience. Thank you!

Our May 3rd cruise sailed with about 2,240 passengers. This of course is the no-brainer as to why we were afforded such a lovely upgrade to a Deluxe Oceanview with Balcony—Portside. Unfortunately, despite great desires to enjoy the Balcony, the cold weather was prohibitive to spending no more than 42 minutes total (during the entire week) out there, even when completely bundled up. Admittedly, I am a wimp when it comes to cold weather, but more on the weather later. An additional surprise included learning that we received $350 in OBC, not the $250 we had thought due to our original Inside booking. We suspect that we received the extra OBC because their system now had us in an Oceanview Stateroom. We chatted over the Balcony with our neighbor who mentioned they booked late last week (knowing of the rerouted sailing) and paid $549pp for their Balcony. That was a common echo throughout the week from many passengers who booked last minute realizing a great value due to the many cancellations. However, even with a third less passengers (3,114 full passenger capacity), in my personal opinion, it still felt a bit crowded due to the colder weather filling up most public area. With the exception of one warmer day—Friday—a sea day, the Pool Deck and other outside area were near deserted. Braver souls were all wrapped up in jackets and multiple layers of beach towels when you do see them on a chaise lounge. Of course, everyone bundled up and clamored up deck when the Mariner sailed into and under the Golden Gate Bridge on Monday at around 1:00PM. That was a spectacular sight, even for us San Francisco residents!! The Mariner cleared the GGB with only about a 14 feet clearance!

NEXT: Going Home in San Francisco!

I am so glad to hear you enjoyed the cruise! We are leaving on the Mariner June 7. What did you enjoy in the ports? We have cruised before, but are fairly new to cruising. We are open to any ideas and suggestions! Our party will consist of 8 adults and 5 kids - ages 12 to 15. I am a little concerned about what will happen on sea days. Is there plenty to do on board? One member of our party is still hoping to be rerouted back to the Mexican Riviera. I'm not expecting that to happen.

Unfortunately, despite great desires to enjoy the Balcony, the cold weather was prohibitive to spending no more than 42 minutes total (during the entire week) out there, even when completely bundled up.

However, even with a third less passengers (3,114 full passenger capacity), in my personal opinion, it still felt a bit crowded due to the colder weather filling up most public area.

the Pool Deck and other outside area were near deserted. Braver souls were all wrapped up in jackets and multiple layers of beach towels when you do see them on a chaise lounge.

I found this to be the same experience on the 4/26 sailing.

Thanks Joyful for starting a review. I've been anxiously combing the boards looking for one specifically from your cruise!

A couple of questions... Usually we love sea days, but now having 3 of them in what I suspect will be murkey, chilly weather has me concerned. Did you guys find plenty to keep you busy?

How was dining room/Windjammer? Any chance you kind of remember the menus? We booked Portofino on Thursday night, based on someone's previous cruise menu order... but I'm thinking they may have changed the order now considering the change in ports.

Tell us what you did in all of the ports. We have nothing scheduled, just thinking we would wing it depending on the weather.

Eagerly awaiting more...

Ann

If you're sailing later in the month, there's a good chance that by the time of your sailing date, the weather could be a touch warmer than my own experience? That's the positive side of me speaking.

Sea Days were never a problem for us in filling activities or just simply chilling out. It was simple luxury not having to wake up to an alarm clock. We always make sure to check for activities we liked--such as any of the dance classes and planned around a couple of events--such as the Return Passenger Cocktail or other Meet & Mingle. At other times, we found quiet reading spaces to enjoy the 6 or so books we brought on-board. I also enjoyed a Hot Stone Massage and went to the Captain's Q&A. The DH enjoyed the gym and all it's amenities for at least 90-plus minutes each day. Also, having a leisurely nap every afternoon came in handy, as somehow, with all the entertainment, we never got to bed any sooner then about midnight.

Due to fewer passengers, only the Deck 3 Dinning Room was in service during our Main Seating. We always enjoyed the MDR for the fact that we've been fortunate to have had great table-mates, this cruise no exception. I would suggest taking advantage of Portofino or Chops on either Wednesday, Thursday or Saturday night. There were no particular standouts in the MDR, but I would prefer enjoying Formal Nights (Tuesday & Friday) with our table-mates. Windjammer is relative for everyone and since I'm not a picky eater, I was able to stick to my own healthier options.

Monday: San Francisco - We went home! Yep, we live only 1 mile from the Terminal/Pier and realizing I could easily pickup a few more clothing. We went home. We also picked-up a case of water!

Wednesday: Victoria, BC - We shuttled into downtown Victoria. We walked around a bit and stopped into The Empress. DH enjoyed a couple of pints while I picked up a couple of trinkets.

Thursday: Seattle - A friend we hadn't seen in over a decade came to the pier and picked us up and drove us around for our own little Seattle area tour.

While we didn't do any excursions, we did hear from our table-mates and other passengers that there were some pretty good options.

I hope this helps.

Of course, everyone bundled up and clamored up deck when the Mariner sailed into and under the Golden Gate Bridge on Monday at around 1:00PM. That was a spectacular sight, even for us San Francisco residents!! The Mariner cleared the GGB with only about a 14 feet clearance!

I posted this on another thread....but here you are May 4th!

marinerunderthegate.jpg

Despite an overcast sky and brisk, chilly weather, it was a wonderful sight to experience crossing under the Golden Gate Bridge. With most arrivals into other ports, you are already in port when you wake up. Thus, for all those that are on a re-routed Mariner sailing, the fact that arrival into San Francisco is around 1:00PM (or so), color yourselves lucky for being able to enjoy this spectacular opportunity.

Since our home is only about 1 mile from the Terminal/Port, we decided to go home to pick up a few things and utilize eMail. But, not before enjoying one of our favorite little hikes en route. This is my suggestion for your own little San Francisco excursion!

(Nearly) Across from the Pier 35 is Coit Tower. For a short hike up for the equivalent of about two blocks of stairs, when you reach the very top—Coit Tower, you will be afforded a lovely vista of our city. Reward yourself by walking down the other side toward North Beach—the Italian District and treat yourselves to some Gelato or some freshly made focaccia bread. Chinatown is a neighbor district to North Beach. Explore Chinatown for some San Francisco souvenirs or trinkets. From Chinatown you can either take a short taxi ride back to the Pier or it’s definitely walk-able. From Chinatown, you are realistically 8 or so blocks from the waterfront (to Pier 35 may be longer). Let me know, if you would like any Italian or Chinatown food recommendations.

To climb the steps up Coit Tower, when you exit the Pier, look for Greenwich Street (ask any of the number of security personnel right outside Terminal). The base of Coit Tower is just about 2-3 blocks from the Pier. Try to zig and zag toward the base and look for Filbert Street (or ask security personnel to direct you to the Filbert Steps). There’s actually two sets of steps (on two different block), either one will lead you to the top! BTW, anyone ever heard of “The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill”—the book or the documentary? If you’re lucky, you may even encounter them!! http://www.wildparrotsfilm.com/

And YES, I've learned never to check work eMails when I'm on vacation!

NEXT: Sea Days

I was on this cruise too, it wasn't my itinerary of choice but we had the time of our lives.

I cant say enough about Capt. Johnny, Cruise Director Ken Rush and the entire staff and cast of the Mariner of the Seas!

Job well done Mariner!!!!! Thanks for a great cruise!

I was on this cruise too, it wasn't my itinerary of choice but we had the time of our lives.

I cant say enough about Capt. Johnny, Cruise Director Ken Rush and the entire staff and cast of the Mariner of the Seas!

Job well done Mariner!!!!! Thanks for a great cruise!

Captain Johnny was very accessible. Ken Rush did the best he could with the slim(er) audience attendance (due to fewer passengers). Some crew, despite their best efforts to smile, looked tired. But I've no complaints. A vacation is still a vacation from my job. :)

So happy to hear you had a great time. We are booked in August and since final payment isn't due yet watching what is happening closely. Haven't decided if the current itinerary is still in place if we will go but thinking we probably will. Of course, doesn't look like it will be.

Looking forward to reading the rest.

So happy to hear you had a great time. We are booked in August and since final payment isn't due yet watching what is happening closely. Haven't decided if the current itinerary is still in place if we will go but thinking we probably will. Of course, doesn't look like it will be.

Looking forward to reading the rest.

In my opinion you should keep your booking, most likely you will be sailing to Mexico by then but if not, the new ports will be warm too. You will have a great time!

Thank you for the great review....so far, I look forward to the rest. :)

I got a chuckle when you said that you "went home" in San Francisco! We would have done the same if our home was in SF. Perfect chance to get those warm clothes.

I praise you for making the best of the itinerary changes, and having such a great time. Great attitudes like yours are commendable! :D

We're waiting for more of your reviews............ :D:D

Thanks for posting your review - I can't wait to read more of it! We are on the 5/31 sailing of Mariner.

Any chance you could post your Compasses, or email them to me? (bap913@hotmail.com). I would really appreciate it . . .

Hi there! I'm sorry, I didn't save any Compasses. Actually, I hadn't planned on writing a review (so I didn't consider saving them). But as I kept encountering negative reviews from people who kept bashing the weather, bashing RCI, bashing the change in itinerary and just plain bashing to bash (without having actually completed the sailing itself), I felt the need to put a positive-oriented (with no biased) piece out there. Thus, my review.....

Let me know, if you would like any Italian or Chinatown food recommendations.

Thank you joyfulmarsh for your cruise review! We are anxiously waiting for our Mariner PNW cruise in just a few weeks. We LOVE the new itinerary! San Francisco is our favorite city so we are really looking forward to our stop there. In fact, would love to take you up on your dining recommendation offer. We would like to try one of the Italian resturants in North Beach. Nothing fancy or expensive, more family type would be best for us. What would you suggest? Thanks so much for any advice & info...we really apprecite it!

Looking foward to the rest of your review:D

Thank you joyfulmarsh for your cruise review! We are anxiously waiting for our Mariner PNW cruise in just a few weeks. We LOVE the new itinerary! San Francisco is our favorite city so we are really looking forward to our stop there. In fact, would love to take you up on your dining recommendation offer. We would like to try one of the Italian resturants in North Beach. Nothing fancy or expensive, more family type would be best for us. What would you suggest? Thanks so much for any advice & info...we really apprecite it!

Looking foward to the rest of your review:D

Value: Bocce Cafe Italian Ristorante, http://www.boccecafe.com/

Family-style: Joey & Eddie's Italian Restaurant, http://www.joeyandeddies.com/

Splurge: Rose Pistola Ristorante, http://www.rosepistolasf.com/

Brazilian Italian: Mangarosa Restaurant & Bar, http://www.mangarosasf.com/

Sandwiches, Deli: Molinari Delicatessen, 373 Columbus Ave. (@ Vallejo St.)

We love Bocce for its great value and it meets our pasta craving! I love Joey & Eddie's family style fare, but most especially because I had an unforgettable roasted garlic spaghetti, that was topped with toasted & fried garlic dish there for my last birthday. We love Mangarosa when we have a severe beef craving--we order their Brazilian Steak Rechaud, @ $33, portion's enough for two! I also recommend the yucca fries and Brazilian Style cheese bread! Even if just a walk by or for a lite snack, do stop into Molinari. It's like stepping into a deli in Rome!

Great review so far...it almost makes me wish I didn't just change my sailing from 5/31 to 6/28.

I grew up in the Bay Area and didn't feelt he need to "go home" via ship, or visit any of the other cold ports, but your review would have made me reconsider hadn't I already changed it.

It's so nice to read some positive thoughts on this whole situation!

Great review so far...it almost makes me wish I didn't just change my sailing from 5/31 to 6/28.

I grew up in the Bay Area and didn't feelt he need to "go home" via ship, or visit any of the other cold ports, but your review would have made me reconsider hadn't I already changed it.

It's so nice to read some positive thoughts on this whole situation!

Hello Tropiclvrs! As I began telling my work colleagues and others of our itinerary change and the prospect of visiting (home port of) San Francisco, I think it was my boss who suggested, "Take a tour, or doing something in San Francisco that you would do if you didn't live here". I think that's quite sage. While we didn't do it, our table-mates highly enjoyed their Alcatraz excursion (very well narrated) and the DH has never been despite living locally for over a decade. So, do try to consider it that way if you ever find yourself in a similar situation.

Since we love the Coit Tower hike so much and with the need to stop off at home, I consider that our "touristy" little excursion!

Had this been a Mexican Riviera cruise, we had packed half a dozen books and had planned on doing no more than to wile away the Sea Day by laying out on the chaise lounge, soak up the sun and read! That said, we still packed the books and read—elsewhere! Ellington’s was nice during the daytime, but like the Library, it filled up quickly with like-minded people seeking a nice quiet area to read. Our Balcony would have been great place to read had it been warmer.

Thanks to winning a $50 discount in a spa raffle, I utilized it toward a Hot Stone Massage early Tuesday morning, while DH utilized the gym, which he did everyday for about 90 minutes or so. During sea days, we always noted and attended the dance lessons (two separate ones per Sea Day). What with no alarm clocks to set and an afternoon siesta, somehow it was not difficult to wile away the hours of Sea Days. And before we knew it, it was time to get ready for Formal Night—Tuesday and Friday. I just didn’t feel lacking for things to do. The one day with sunshine was Friday and while it was a touch windy, heartier souls did come out to sun themselves on deck and pool-side. We also ate at Johnny Rocket Friday. No wait for outside seating.

Also of note is that our sailing had over 1,200 repeat Royal Caribbean cruisers and thus the Welcome Back Cocktail event on Tuesday evening had to be split over two separate time (in between the two Dinning time) to fit everyone into the Lotus Lounge.

Saturday morning, I enjoyed Captain Johnny’s Q&A.

NEXT: Victoria, BC

Despite an overcast sky and brisk, chilly weather, it was a wonderful sight to experience crossing under the Golden Gate Bridge. With most arrivals into other ports, you are already in port when you wake up. Thus, for all those that are on a re-routed Mariner sailing, the fact that arrival into San Francisco is around 1:00PM (or so), color yourselves lucky for being able to enjoy this spectacular opportunity.

Since our home is only about 1 mile from the Terminal/Port, we decided to go home to pick up a few things and utilize eMail. But, not before enjoying one of our favorite little hikes en route. This is my suggestion for your own little San Francisco excursion!

(Nearly) Across from the Pier 35 is Coit Tower. For a short hike up for the equivalent of about two blocks of stairs, when you reach the very top—Coit Tower, you will be afforded a lovely vista of our city. Reward yourself by walking down the other side toward North Beach—the Italian District and treat yourselves to some Gelato or some freshly made focaccia bread. Chinatown is a neighbor district to North Beach. Explore Chinatown for some San Francisco souvenirs or trinkets. From Chinatown you can either take a short taxi ride back to the Pier or it’s definitely walk-able. From Chinatown, you are realistically 8 or so blocks from the waterfront (to Pier 35 may be longer). Let me know, if you would like any Italian or Chinatown food recommendations.

To climb the steps up Coit Tower, when you exit the Pier, look for Greenwich Street (ask any of the number of security personnel right outside Terminal). The base of Coit Tower is just about 2-3 blocks from the Pier. Try to zig and zag toward the base and look for Filbert Street (or ask security personnel to direct you to the Filbert Steps). There’s actually two sets of steps (on two different block), either one will lead you to the top! BTW, anyone ever heard of “The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill”—the book or the documentary? If you’re lucky, you may even encounter them!! http://www.wildparrotsfilm.com/

And YES, I've learned never to check work eMails when I'm on vacation!

NEXT: Sea Days

What a terrific review! It sure sounds like you approached the modified cruise with a positive attitude! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I actually told my husband if we could have gotten time off that this would have been a great cruise to take. See some of the U.S.! That picture posted of Mariner (by the way my favorite ship) going under the SF Bay Bridge just reaffirmed my desire to be there. I kind of wish they'd keep this itinerary active some of the time.

I also told someone that those returning "home" should do as the tourists do! What a fun way to see your hometown. I know back here on the east coast and living in the DC area, I've not seen half of the stuff to see.

Again, great review! Glad you had a good time!

Archived