Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

A day trip to the Elefiti's would take too much time. This trip should not be done unless one has more than just one afternoon in town. Visiting all 3 islands is a must, they are more than spectacular. The all day trip usually cost about 250 Kuna per person, includes lunch and unlimited wine or beer. Wonderful trip!

Okay, since the islands are out (and my husband can't do the wall) what can we do (other than eat calamari)? We'll be on the Azamar quest on August 18th

There have been some major changes to the ticketing this past month at the city walls and perhaps you encountered one of the new people. However i guarantee the walls will accept Kuna, Dollars or Euros. As for some of the shops, it's hit or miss with Euros. Some private owned shops do accept Euros and the government owned shops will only accept Kuna. Since the Kuna is the legal currency of Croatia, it's advisable to obtain some at one of the local ATM machines on the main promenade.

I am concerned about not having kunas for the cab ride from the dock to the Gate/walls...several of us are planning on sharing taxis...so are we OK with using euros for the taxi until we can get to an ATM for kunas? I am a strong believer in paying with local currency.

And many, many thanks for all your great advice, and I am looking forward to experiencing your beautiful city.

Margo

Dubrovniktravelady,

Could you give us an idea of how much it would be in Kunas for the cab ride up to the Viewpoint and and then over to Ploce gate plus entrance to the wall? We're going to do lunch at Orhan which I assumes takes credit cards. We'll have some extra kunas for the shops.... I'd love to find a unique piece of jewelry from Dubrovnik. Do you remember the name of the shop where your friend designs jewelry?

Thank you for all of your wonderful advice.... we are all so fortunate to have you willing to share with us.

Edited by MERLOTCHAMPAGNE

Okay, since the islands are out (and my husband can't do the wall) what can we do (other than eat calamari)? We'll be on the Azamar quest on August 18th

The Cabrio bus trip is a great experience, I've done this trip twice this year. This is an open air bus, with a sun roof, which will depart from the Pile Brsalje Square at the western entrance to the old town. They have headsets in English and will take you on a two hour drive around the old and newer parts of town. The price is 90 kuna per person, they do NOT accept any other currency and no credit cards. They make two photo stops, one at the Gruz harbor the other at the Vidikovac viewpoint above the old town.

After your bus trip, please do walk down the Stradun and check out the side streets. There are some lovely shops where you can buy some local handicrafts, home made honey and perhaps a Croatian necktie.

By the way, we do not call our squid, calamari. In Croatia grilled baby squid is "Lignji" and it is not prepared like the squid in America or Italy.

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

I am concerned about not having kunas for the cab ride from the dock to the Gate/walls...several of us are planning on sharing taxis...so are we OK with using euros for the taxi until we can get to an ATM for kunas? I am a strong believer in paying with local currency.

And many, many thanks for all your great advice, and I am looking forward to experiencing your beautiful city.

Margo

Please do not be concerned about the taxi ride to Stari Grad (old town). They will accept Euros and I am not sure what the price to go up to Vidikovac will cost. Average price to Pile gate is about 10 Euros, so be prepared to negotiate. If the driver won't drop his price, then move on to the next taxi. They are lined up outside passport control just waiting...

I am sorry but I can't give you the name of my jewelry shop, I have been forbidden from recommending anything other than general information. You're on your own, but be careful about the jewelry, as many of the shops will have junk made in China. I know of only one goldsmith left in town and he works in the back of the shop creating his own designs.

Can anyone please give me an idea of how much items are for example a gelato, postcards, can of coke etc in Kuna and in euro? The souvenir stores then may accept euros and some will only accept kuna? How about the museum gift shops, are they accepting both currencies?

Thank you very much for your info. :)

Can anyone please give me an idea of how much items are for example a gelato, postcards, can of coke etc in Kuna and in euro? The souvenir stores then may accept euros and some will only accept kuna? How about the museum gift shops, are they accepting both currencies?

Accepting Euros is hit and miss. As for the price of gelato, I wouldn't know as I don't eat it and I do not drink soft drinks and I always pay in Kuna. You can stop at an ATM and just take out 100 kuna, which is only $20. The museums should accept Euros, please I stress that it is hit or miss.

• 1 month later...
Dubrovnik port authority shows RCCL at dock 10 in the Gruz harbor, which is on the very far western side of town. Mlini is a small town located east of the old town port of Dubrovnik.

Dubrovniktravelady - thank you so much for your help, there is not much on these boards about this port. We will be arriving in Dubrovnik on October 13th and it looks like our ship (RCCL Brillance) will be in Gruz Harbor. I am wondering how far that is from the walls and if it is a walkable distance or if we should take a cab.

Thanks!

My husband likes currancy (paper) and would like a sample of kuna. What is the smallest paper bill amount? Minimum allowed to put on credit card at ATM? Thank you for your time to answer these questions. Will be in your lovely city in Sept. on Nautica.

We will be in port on August 10th and tendering. We arrive at 10 AM and depart at 6 PM. I am thinking it is going to be really HOT and would like to go snorkeling, possibly after or before walking the wall. There is a ship excursion (snorkeling)that goes to Mlini. Has anyone done this on RCCL and is there time after to walk the wall? Dubrovniktravelady, what is your advice? Thanks!:)

Has anyone snorkeled in Dubrovnik area or in the Greek Islands? I have my own snorkel mask (prescription lenses)/float vest but don't know if worth bringing them. I do NOT snorkel in Carib. or Florida but loved the Great Barrier Reef , Fiji ,South Pacific ,and Hawaii. Thanks to snorklers.

Has anyone snorkeled in Dubrovnik area or in the Greek Islands? I have my own snorkel mask (prescription lenses)/float vest but don't know if worth bringing them. I do NOT snorkel in Carib. or Florida but loved the Great Barrier Reef , Fiji ,South Pacific ,and Hawaii. Thanks to snorklers.

I've not snorkeled in Dubrovnik, but can tell you that the Med is nothing like the South Pacific. If the Florida Keys and Caribbean aren't worth it to you, keep your gear at home for the Med as well and instead hope your cruise visits a good aquarium with a Mediterranean exhibit (the one in Monaco is excellent).

Dubrovniktravelady - thank you so much for your help, there is not much on these boards about this port. We will be arriving in Dubrovnik on October 13th and it looks like our ship (RCCL Brillance) will be in Gruz Harbor. I am wondering how far that is from the walls and if it is a walkable distance or if we should take a cab.

Thanks!

The distance from the Gruz harbor to the old town is not a easy walk, it's mostly uphill. Do take either the shuttle bus or a taxi, you can pay in Euros for a cab.

Stari Grad (old town) is inside the city walls and it will take you about 2 hours with stops for photos. Do remember there is very little shade up there so bring a sun hat. I don't believe the walk is difficult but I have been doing it often now since my arrival in Dubrovnik. Our weather in October is always lovely and there might be some rain.

Do visit the Dubrovnik tourist bureau website, it has maps and very good information about our town.

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/english/index.php

Dobrodosli u Dubrovnik

My husband likes currancy (paper) and would like a sample of kuna. What is the smallest paper bill amount? Minimum allowed to put on credit card at ATM? Thank you for your time to answer these questions. Will be in your lovely city in Sept. on Nautica.

The ATM will dispense as little as 100 Kuna which is about $20. The smallest bill is 10, we also have 20, 50, 100, 200 & 500. 10 Kuna is also the smallest bill in size, as each demonation increases in size also.

September is wonderful, still warm and sunny but there could be an occassional shower. Be prepared.

Dobrodosli u Dubrovnik

Also have snorkled in Hawaii and Australia, it was fantastic. The Adriatic is nothing close to either, don't bother to bring your snorkle. The water here is not warm, yesterday it was 25c and today it went down to 19c. The fish here are so much better to eat, do enjoy a good seafood lunch. You can also take the ferry to the island of Lokrum and enjoy swimming after walking the wall.

Dobrodosli u Dubrovnik

Unlike the prevalence of gelati in Italy, we only found 2-3 gelati/ice cream places in Old Town. I think it was 2 Euro for a small cup or cone.

As for Kuna versus Euro, most places took Euros but as Dubrovniktravelady already said, it is hit or miss. The Sponza Palace, as just one example, only took Kuna.

Dubrovnik port authority shows RCCL at dock 10 in the Gruz harbor, which is on the very far western side of town. Mlini is a small town located east of the old town port of Dubrovnik. You could not possibly do this snorkeling trip and walk the walls and stop for a cold drink. August will be hot and humid, I guarantee this fact.

Arriving at 10am means you'll arrive in the old town about 11am and must be back on ship by 5pm, latest. Snorkeling in the Adriatic is nothing close to Hawaii or the Caribbean, we have very little coral reefs left and our fish are only good to eat, not very colorful.

You could take a short hope over to Lokrum if you want to swim and cool down. But do understand Lokrum does not have any walk in type of beach, you can only jump off the rocky edges into the sea. A lovely island to wander and stop for a cold drink at the small café.

We will be in your lovely city next month on a HAL cruise. First let me thank you for all the information you have shared.

My wife saw a mention of Lokrum in a Fodor's travel guide. I was going to ask about the ferry there--does it accept Euros or dollars as payment? But, now my wife wants me to ask about the "rocky edges". This has made her nervous. How far a jump are we talking about? And come to think of it, what about getting out?

The other beach mentioned in Fodors (other than private hotel beaches) is The Eastwest Beach Club just a short distance from the Ploce Gate. Do you have any information to share about this beach?

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Carol,

I followed all your comments last year (with your prior screen name) during my first trip to your wonderful city. We got to the top of the wall with no wait thanks to your suggestion about the gate near the Maritime Museum. I am tentatively planning to return to Dubrovnik on Oct. 21 (Royal Caribbean) Last year we went to the Taj Mahal and oirdered the dish you suggested and we loved it. This year, do you think Nava will be open, or should we go to Orhan?

The distance from the Gruz harbor to the old town is not a easy walk, it's mostly uphill. Do take either the shuttle bus or a taxi, you can pay in Euros for a cab.

Stari Grad (old town) is inside the city walls and it will take you about 2 hours with stops for photos.

Thank you Dubrovniktravelady for all the great advice you've given on this forum. I believe you mentioned in a previous post that our ship, NCL's Jade, which is arriving on Thursday, Sept. 10, would be docking near the old town. Is it possible to walk from the ship's dock at this location to the old town and walls? Thanks for your help.

Stari Grad (old town) is inside the city walls and it will take you about 2 hours with stops for photos.

Thank you Dubrovniktravelady for all the great advice you've given on this forum. I believe you mentioned in a previous post that our ship, NCL's Jade, which is arriving on Thursday, Sept. 10, would be docking near the old town. Is it possible to walk from the ship's dock at this location to the old town and walls? Thanks for your help.

So sorry but NCL Jade is showing at anchor with the ship between the island of Lokrum and town. This means that you will tender into the old port, walk about 10 steps and you're in town. The only docking in the old port is for our local fishing boats and some of the small sightseeing boats to Lokrum and the Elefiti Islands. However please note that the port authority website is not up to date and could be changed at any time. I must admit I did get a large smile on my face this morning as i visualized you walking across the water. You made my morning and I do hope that you enjoy your time here.

Dear Carol,

I followed all your comments last year (with your prior screen name) during my first trip to your wonderful city. We got to the top of the wall with no wait thanks to your suggestion about the gate near the Maritime Museum. I am tentatively planning to return to Dubrovnik on Oct. 21 (Royal Caribbean) Last year we went to the Taj Mahal and oirdered the dish you suggested and we loved it. This year, do you think Nava will be open, or should we go to Orhan?

Since you're coming in late October, I do believe your choice of restaurants will be easy. If there's no rain and wind, there will be many choices. We love eating Cevapci, many locals favor this small Bosnia treat. Weather will be the deciding factor on your choice for lunch this year.

It's going to be a busy day as there are several ships arriving on Wednesday, 21 October. RCCL is shown at pier 10 at the Gruz harbor along with 4 much smaller ships, so many ships but not that many people.

Would love to meet you for a coffee, I am always in the old town early mornings people watching.

To help give you some visual idea of what to expect, you can see from my two photos (it's a panorama) from left to right: a cruise ship (Costa Victoria), Lokrum island, St. John Fort/Maritime Museum (large semi-circular structure), entrance to the City Walls (near all the white umbrellas), and the tender dock/old port.

782306703_Europe2009879-2.jpg.8d8781916d0df071d0b7b4e1885f8bda.jpg

1657363923_Europe2009880-2.jpg.e31bc9feea174cfb3c1dda0aed46e993.jpg

Edited by Terpnut

To help give you some visual idea of what to expect, you can see from my two photos (it's a panorama) from left to right: a cruise ship (Costa Victoria), Lokrum island, St. John Fort/Maritime Museum (large semi-circular structure), entrance to the City Walls (near all the white umbrellas), and the tender dock/old port.

Close but no cigar for Terpnut. The entrance to the walls are closer down towards St John Fort, not even close to the restaurant with the white umbrellas. One must walk through the small hole in the wall, make an immediate right turn, pass the outdoor restaurant and walk up the stairs on the left, turn left into the alley and find the entrance from that point. Good luck!

Or you can walk through the archway at the old port, turn right and go up the hill towards the Ploce gate. You will find the easy entrance on your right half way up, it's called the Ploce entrance.

It would be very wise to download the Dubrovnik tourist bureau map, it will help greatly to get your bearings in town.

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/data/1198052158_49_mala_Plan%20Grada_2008.pdf

Close but no cigar for Terpnut. The entrance to the walls are closer down towards St John Fort, not even close to the restaurant with the white umbrellas. One must walk through the small hole in the wall, make an immediate right turn, pass the outdoor restaurant and walk up the stairs on the left, turn left into the alley and find the entrance from that point. Good luck!

Or you can walk through the archway at the old port, turn right and go up the hill towards the Ploce gate. You will find the easy entrance on your right half way up, it's called the Ploce entrance.

It would be very wise to download the Dubrovnik tourist bureau map, it will help greatly to get your bearings in town.

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/data/1198052158_49_mala_Plan%20Grada_2008.pdf

Now you've made me smile -- the last time I "walked on water", I had lost one of my water skis! Thank you for your directions. I shall certainly download the Dubrovnik map.

Terpnut: Thank you for the lovely photos of the harbor. I'm really looking forward to this port with much anticipation.

Has anyone experienced local currency problems in Dubrovnik. I will be travelling with euros and wondered if they can be used in Dubrovnik. I understand there are currency exchange places at the port but only intend to have change for walking the wall. Can I use euros for that?

We were told you had to use Kunas for everything, but the only place we encountered that required them was the walk around the wall. The vendors and cafes we encountered took Kunas or Euros. Get just enough Kunas from the ATM for the wall. Once you go through the main gate of the old city, we found an ATM a block or two down the street on the left...

Edited by UlvaZell