Help with Juneau and Skagway

ErinPhotoBug

Hey all,

Hub and I are on the 7/22 Regents sailing from Seward to Vancouver and have booked some excursions already ... but I'm TOTALLY STUCK on what to do in Juneau and Skagway! :(

We're a very active couple, 30-ish, love hiking, and I'm an amateur photographer ... although taking pictures is a priority in our excursions, I just want to get the most out of our time and experience the diversity of Alaska.

Here's what we booked so far (to give you an idea of what we like):

- In Sitka, we are doing an a.m. dry suit snorkel and a p.m. Tongass Rainforest guided hike.

- We are doing the Tracy Arm Fjord/Glacier Explorer catamaran (I was unsure until I read all of the positive reviews on this board!), which gets us into Juneau around 1-1:30. Still looking for an afternoon excursion.

- We are kayaking (Tatoosh Islands) in Ketchikan.

In Juneau, I know we want to spend some time out at Mendenhall Glacier, and I've been eyeing these options:

- A glacier visit/short hike and then a wildlife cruise out of Auke Bay ("Whales and Rainforest Trails")

- A guided, longer glacier hike ("Guide's Choice Adventure Hike")

- some sort of helicopter / hiking combo. I saw a few options that involved landing on the glacier and climbing around a bit.

Are the views from the heli worth the price? And is there one of these that might afford more photographic options than others? I wasn't sure about the wildlife watching cruise since we'd just have come from the Tracy Arm boat ride ...

In Skagway, it seems the train is the main draw, and combo excursions have been intriguing:

- A combo train ride / hike to Lake Bennet / train to Fraser / coach ride back to Skagway

- Heli ride to Glacier Station / Skagway River hike / train down

- train up / hike along Skagway river / train down

But I'm curious about the steam train ... I guess these excursions do NOT use the steam train (they don't specify)? Is the steam train THE way to go? Is it worth scrapping the hike for a steam train ride?

Also, the Chilkoot trail hike and float back sounded interesting (but no train).

Any help, advice, or personal recommendations are greatly appreciated! And please, if I'm missing something important in Sitka or Ketchikan, let me know! :)

and I'd liek to add a question to this one . .we know we are doing the train/motorcoach on to emerald lake. I cant do Dyea Dave. . he's apparently booked for my day .. Is there any feed back from the motocoach tour directly from the White Pass? as compared to Chilkoot charters? Its the same price (and that isnt even important) - but Im wondering if one takes you more places than the other. .

thanks for any help

Hey all,

Hub and I are on the 7/22 Regents sailing from Seward to Vancouver and have booked some excursions already ... but I'm TOTALLY STUCK on what to do in Juneau and Skagway! :(

We're a very active couple, 30-ish, love hiking, and I'm an amateur photographer ... although taking pictures is a priority in our excursions, I just want to get the most out of our time and experience the diversity of Alaska.

Here's what we booked so far (to give you an idea of what we like):

- In Sitka, we are doing an a.m. dry suit snorkel and a p.m. Tongass Rainforest guided hike.

- We are doing the Tracy Arm Fjord/Glacier Explorer catamaran (I was unsure until I read all of the positive reviews on this board!), which gets us into Juneau around 1-1:30. Still looking for an afternoon excursion.

- We are kayaking (Tatoosh Islands) in Ketchikan.

In Juneau, I know we want to spend some time out at Mendenhall Glacier, and I've been eyeing these options:

- A glacier visit/short hike and then a wildlife cruise out of Auke Bay ("Whales and Rainforest Trails")

- A guided, longer glacier hike ("Guide's Choice Adventure Hike")

- some sort of helicopter / hiking combo. I saw a few options that involved landing on the glacier and climbing around a bit.

Are the views from the heli worth the price? And is there one of these that might afford more photographic options than others? I wasn't sure about the wildlife watching cruise since we'd just have come from the Tracy Arm boat ride ...

In Skagway, it seems the train is the main draw, and combo excursions have been intriguing:

- A combo train ride / hike to Lake Bennet / train to Fraser / coach ride back to Skagway

- Heli ride to Glacier Station / Skagway River hike / train down

- train up / hike along Skagway river / train down

But I'm curious about the steam train ... I guess these excursions do NOT use the steam train (they don't specify)? Is the steam train THE way to go? Is it worth scrapping the hike for a steam train ride?

Also, the Chilkoot trail hike and float back sounded interesting (but no train).

Any help, advice, or personal recommendations are greatly appreciated! And please, if I'm missing something important in Sitka or Ketchikan, let me know! :)

You may want to reconsider the Sitka hiking, many times there are barely more than a short walk, going as fast as the slowest person. It is simple to also consider going on your own. Determine, if you want plants pointed out etc. ??? There is plenty more to Sitka.

In neither Sitka or Seward you are considering a wildlife boat tour??? These are top areas for varied wildlife and a photographer's dream.

The White Pass RR is NOT steam, unless specifically mentioned. Very limited runs, you can find this via their direct site.

With your hiking preference, all of Alaska has potential with some excellent trails. You can easily hike at Mendenhall with taking a round trip shuttle bus. But, yes, glacier helicopter landings are excellent and definately give an excellent experience. You listed tours for Juneau, will be, again, simple and not too involved hiking.

and I'd liek to add a question to this one . .we know we are doing the train/motorcoach on to emerald lake. I cant do Dyea Dave. . he's apparently booked for my day .. Is there any feed back from the motocoach tour directly from the White Pass? as compared to Chilkoot charters? Its the same price (and that isnt even important) - but Im wondering if one takes you more places than the other. .

thanks for any help

The stops are fixed on the cruiseship excursion, and they most always use large touring buses. The independents definately will ad lib some stops, and most often have small buses.

We also like to be active and enjoy nature. We're not the type who you'll find on the bus tours, and after watching youtube videos of the train ride, realized that isn't for us, prefer more freedom and small groups.

I just privately emailed another cc member a bunch of info and links about things to do while in port in Skagway (including everything from a town map to renting car to the train to heading to Yukon). It's a long email w/ a lot of info and links ... if you're interested, I can fwd it to you. Just let me know. I told the other person I'll get around to organizing and sending her all my Juneau info/links when I get a chance, can send you that too if you want.

We originally were going to go on the cheap and only do independent hiking, but have decided to splurge and have added some other things. However, I have all kinds of hiking/trail info and more active type things bookmarked.

Don't know if you know there's another option for the train in Skagway, you can ride part way and get off at a trail head to hike independently to Denver or Laughton glaciers.

We cruise Alaska 5/23 this year, so can also come back w/ some fresh info.

~Denise

dfitz0321@aol (dot) com

You may want to reconsider the Sitka hiking, many times there are barely more than a short walk, going as fast as the slowest person. It is simple to also consider going on your own. Determine, if you want plants pointed out etc. ??? There is plenty more to Sitka.

In neither Sitka or Seward you are considering a wildlife boat tour??? These are top areas for varied wildlife and a photographer's dream.

Sitka would really be our only opportunity, and the p.m. boat tour offerings (through Regents, anyway) are somewhat limited. The husband's ONLY request the entire trip was that we do the dry suit snorkel that morning ... but if we were to cancel our rainforest hike (good point, by the way, about having to hike at the speed of the slowest person ... didn't think about that!), we could take an "Ultimate Adventure Combo" that includes a boat ride to Kruzof Island and 4x4 to the volcanic crater. Seems to get good reviews on this board too. Hummmmmm ... now I'm thinkin' that might be the thing to do ...

When we went last year we took a flightseeing tour (on our own) over to Taku Lodge. It was a little pricy but was a highlight for all us. We got some great pics flying over the glaciers to get there and some good pics across the water at the glacier across the bay once there. Also, I think Juneau would be a great place to hike some on your own. It was right down in the hills and it was our favorite port.

I got a lot of response from people, so I'm going to try posting this here, but not sure if it will remain due to having so many links.

I highly recommend watching some of the youtube videos on the train ... I just thought it looked a little too touristy for our liking, and to be confined w/ lots of people didn't sound appealing to me for a port excursion. I like people, but I get a little caustrophobic and don't like things where I feel we are being shuffled around like cattle :-) I know people say great things about the train, though. One thing you don't read as much is that if it's foggy or rainy, you may not have much viewing on the train. The "hwy" to Yukon area w/ a rental car parallel's a lot of the train route, so you still get lots of good views, but can pull off at your own pace which sounds good to me. Be sure to ck out Yukon blog (aka Murray's Guide) it's pasted below and he shows pics of what you'll see on your own self-drive tour.

Skagway was the most challenging for me to plan because it didn't seem like there was a lot to choose from that was close to town that would meet our needs/interests.

http://www.skagway.com/activities.html

Map of town of skagway: http://www.skagway.com/citymap.html

Trails: http://www.skagway.org/vertical/Sites/%7B7820C4E3-63B9-4E67-95BA-7C70FBA51E8F%7D/uploads/%7BDB204F3C-DF34-4DF1-8262-60CA7024BC18%7D.PDF

White Pass Train: http://www.wpyr.com/schedule.html

scroll down to Trail Head Hikers Service, advanced purchase is reqd.

You can ride to the trail head of either Denver Glacier ($30+tx r/t pp) or Laughton Glacier ($63 + tax r/t pp). I wanted to do Laughton (see trail map on above link), pack some sealed snacks (be aware of bears).

train cam: http://www.wpyr.com/multimedia/webcam.html

Seems like getting a rental car was a must for us, and there's no cost to reserve one. Just go online to Avis, google for discount promo codes (we get AARP discount because my husband is over 50). Sourdough is the other available car rental place in Skagway, but I heard mixed reviews on them.

http://www.geocities.com/sourdoughcarrentals/

http://www.avis.com/car-rental/avisHome/home.ac

Murray's Guide is available to help w/ the drive and tells pull-out points for views, etc.

Yukon on cc writes Murray's Guide, it's something like $5.

http://*****************/

also found this audio guide but haven't purchased or researched it yet: http://www.tourcaster.com/TourDetails.aspx?TourID=556

I would have loved to do the white water rafting, but when I phoned was told the rivers aren't conducive to it when we go this month. I don't know why, but I don't always trust cc member Budget Queen's info, however she comes off sounding like she knows a lot ... she posted making it sound like she doesn't think this is possible, but I'd talk directly w/ the tour operator if you're interested:

http://www.tatshenshiniyukon.com/daytrips.html#2

Spirited Adventures cost is somewhere around $85/pp

Yukon Saddle & Paddle | Holland America Line, Skagway, Alaska Shore Excursion

here's some youtube videos, l'm hoping it's not too slow for us:

There's another riding stable that was featured on best of America by Horseback show, longer ride, and more expensive

http://www.yukonhorses.com/

I totally trust cc member Yukon's recommendations, he said both rides are good. When I asked which he'd do a 2nd time, he said both were good, but if he did one a 2nd time, it would be yukonhorses. However, I had other personal things to consider, so chose the saddle/paddle.

We're also going to stop by to visit the dogs at Pristine Wilderness Tours dog camp (I'll be missing my pups who I have to leave at home),

Phone: 867-399-4894 , Michelle tagishsleddog@northwestel.net

http://www.yukonhuskies.com/skagway-dogsled.html

Not sure if we'll do a ride, or not, but here's what's available and she said no appt/reservation necessary unless we come during a peak time

"The only times availability is an issue is between 111:30-1 AK time."

There's a 1-hour time difference between AK and Yukon.

There are 2 types of packages available.

a 15-minute ride (total time includes loading) for $37.25 Adult / $35.25 Child.

a 30-minute total package: 20 minute ride plus a 10 minute talk all about Alaskan huskies and racing long distances, for $57.25 Adult / $50 child.

They will be on wheeled carts, not sleds. Something I heard is that the track the dogs run on is often poopy, so the stuff that gets kicked up is not just mud ;-)

I think there's mixed reviews on this place, I'd check tripadvisor reviews also:

http://www.cyclealaska.com/

Because of the long days, flowers and produce grow to huge sizes, thought this could be fun for a quick visit time permitting and if we could get in when the large cruise crowds are NOT there. http://www.jewellgardens.com/

Here's a bunch of recommended tour operators, but most of them looked like those cheesey tourist tours ... I could be wrong though.

http://www.baysider.com/frameset.php?url=http://www.******************/

http://www.southeasttours.com/chilkoot_hike_float_yukon_tour_skagway_alaska_tour_info.html

Will send more as time permits.

~Denise

Just thought I would chime in here for the saddle/paddle - in case you were looking to do this and did not sail HAL.

It is at a lodge called Spirit Lake (google the website) and while I want to be clear I personally have not yet been on this (May 26 for us!) - the reviews of several members all have been very good. Talking with the owners and their adult children has been great and they have been very good in getting our party of 9 all set up. You can arrange either saddle or saddle/paddle and it includes lunch (sandwich/soup/pie/beverage).

We are renting a van from Skagway (and a car ) and driving the road following Murrays Guide. PLanning on stopping here and there and then doing our saddle/paddle.

We are in Skagway for 12 hours so will have plenty of time.

If you search on this BB for saddle paddle you will see a few families that have done this and they have great pics and stories from their trip last year.

Took me awhile to figure out which lake and which place did this - so thought I would chime in if you could not book it from your cruise or wanted to set it up on your own.

Wow, Dfitz, thanks so much! I have a lot to sort through in Skagway, methinks!

You're welcome. I put so much time into my research it's nice to be able to share it :)

Just thought I would chime in here for the saddle/paddle - in case you were looking to do this and did not sail HAL.

Hi theresef, thank you for the addtl confirmation that it's a good excursion. We'll be there on the 27th.

Also thanks for bringing to my att that I accidentally put the hal link in instead of the direct link for Spirited Adv.

Spirited Adventures saddle/paddle direct link for those of us who like to book independently: http://www.exploreyukon.com/daytrips.html

~Denise

The "hwy" to Yukon area w/ a rental car parallel's a lot of the train route, so you still get lots of good views, but can pull off at your own pace which sounds good to me. Be sure

~Denise

[/color][/size][/font]

This is not correct. The Klondike Highway and White Pass RR only have a few miles of common viewing. The scenery from the train is superior. You don't sound like you have done either of these.

I would have loved to do the white water rafting, but when I phoned was told the rivers aren't conducive to it when we go this month. I don't know why, but I don't always trust cc member Budget Queen's info, however she comes off sounding like she knows a lot ... she posted making it sound like she doesn't think this is possible, but I'd talk directly w/ the tour operator if you're interested:

http://www.tatshenshiniyukon.com/daytrips.html#2

[/color][/font]

You need to take another look at the post, instead of slamming me. I do not say this, another poster does. In fact, I mention a lot of questions that are not answered on the website and the need for more information, asking if you have taken this tour??

The scenery from the train is superior.
IMHO, I'd say many factors to consider (ie weather) and personal opinion ... I have in fact found other people who feel the same way as me, prefer the drive ... perhaps the freedom and lack of crowds makes the scenery better for us :p

... instead of slamming me ...

Guess I need to clarify, when I said "... I don't always trust cc member Budget Queen's info ..." I probably should have worded it differenty, to clarify, seems like BQ's needs and preferences are much different than those of me and my family, so I can't depend on her opinions and advice being the right thing for us. Personally, I'm also more likely to trust the advice of a resident over a visitor.

Hope w/ the clarification, you can understand that in the same way you are posting your opinions, I've posted mine as well as info and resources that people can use to come to the decision of what's best for them and their family. For me, there are way too many options, possibilities, and personal tastes for any of us to really make specific recommendations ... I personally always call the tour operator directly with my individual questions, and I encourage others to do the same rather than depending solely on opinion's they find here.

Hope my clarification helps, sorry for any misunderstanding due to wording and lack of tone w/in posts.

It's very poor - I bought it and demanded a refund. It's okay in it's original CD format but this mp3 is formatted wrong and is impossible to use. It has lots of information mixed with music.

Thanks for the addtl input ... I listened to a sample of it on-line somewhere and had wondered.

Until my husband changes his mind again :rolleyes:, here's what we've settled on -

We are sticking with the dry suit snorkel in Sitka, then doing the Ocean Raft Adventure (we wanted the Sea Otter and Wildlife Tour, but it was FULL :(). The Ultimate Adventure Combo is basically the Ocean Raft Adventure PLUS a 4x4 ride up to the volcano on Kruzof Island, but we wanted to have an hour and a half to wander around Sitka, maybe go see the totems, etc, which we'll have if we skip the 4x4.

In Juneau, we decided to do the Glacier Trek - flightseeing plus a 2 hour trek. This was a hard decision for us ... so much good stuff to do! I hope we see whales on the rest of the trip, because we won't have time to go whale watching while in Juneau. The Regents discount on the heli-trek was too good for us to pass it up though ... ($200pp instead of $500)

In Skagway, we decided to do a White Pass Railroad plus Glacial Lake Kayaking combo tour. We get to take the train all the way out into Canada, then do a short kayak trip on one of the lakes out there. I liked the extended train ride ... let's just hope for good weather! It also gets us back to Skagway around noon, so we have time to do a hike and maybe go out to see the sled dogs or go to the gardens (thanks, dfitz!).

Ketchikan is still the Tatoosh Island kayak trip. Let's hope our arms aren't too sore from the kayaking in Skagway!

Thanks for all of your help and suggestions!

Until my husband changes his mind again :rolleyes:, here's what we've settled on -

Congratulations on finalizing your decisions! I'll have to come to you for help w/ my next trip :D

When I mentioned snorkel or scuba to my family they looked at me like I was crazy and asked "in Alaska", they're off the hook because I decided the water will be too cold in May (even w/ a wetsuit) :p Underwater is like a whole new amazing world!

Great price on a heli w/ 2 hour glacier trek ... we had a private hike/glacier trek planned for Sept and it was going to run about $225pp (w/ no heli)

Did you check out the website for the gardens? very pretty for those of us who enjoy flowers and gardening :)

Have a great trip!

When I mentioned snorkel or scuba to my family they looked at me like I was crazy and asked "in Alaska", they're off the hook because I decided the water will be too cold in May (even w/ a wetsuit) :p Underwater is like a whole new amazing world!

Therein lies the beauty of a dry suit - you wear regular old street clothes underneath and (unless something goes very wrong) you stay totally dry. Suitable for water temps as low as 45 degrees. Your wear wetsuit gloves, so your hands get wet (and cold!) and part of your face is exposed as well, but the rest of you is dry and warm(ish). :) I was hoping to go dry suit diving, but it's been over a year since my last dive and it seemed like a pain to get out and do a refresher dive before the cruise. Ah well. I hope visibility is good when we're there, with all of the glacier melt ...

Archived