Venice Hotels

oshawa

In the process of booking a Med cruise in 2010. Does anyone have a favourite reasonably priced hotel in Venice that they have stayed in on a previous cruise?

Your recommendations would be appreciated.

We are two older ladies (79 & 62) with limited mobility. I started looking at Lido hotels as they were cheaper, but then reading the 20-30 minutes to get to Venice proper, switched to Mestre and found Golden Tulip Tritone and Hotel Bologna, both were in the range of $150. Then found the website Europe for Visitors and found Ca' Doge in Piazzale Roma. Piazzale Roma is the transportation hub of Venice (taxis, buses, vaporetto, information booth) all right there, so booked the Ca' Doge. It was a very nice small hotel, but it certainly was convenient. Took maybe 5 minutes to walk to the vaporetto stop. Also noticed Hotel Santa Chiara on the other side of the Piazzale, right on the Grand Canal. They were quite a bit more, but for that price difference $250, decided to go for convenience.

Check out www.venere.com and www.tripadvisor.com for locations, prices and reviews. Have a great trip.

2 years ago we booked the Marriott hotel (Courtyard Venice Airport) next to the Marco-Polo-airport of Venice for one night. We paid EUR 196.40 including buffet breakfast und airport shuttle.

From the hotel to the left after a little walk there are some restaurants. Menus in Italian and English. Wine and pizza were as good as in my local Italian Restaurant at home, only cheaper.

How long it takes to go to the city by taxi and so on I don't know because we didn't want to do this at this time.

We enjoyed the Best Western Hotel Ala http://www.hotelala.it/ . It was approximately 50 meters from the Santa Maria de Giglio vaporetto stop and a short walk to San Marco's Square. It's on a quiet square, but you are close to all of the action. I looked back on our email confirmation and we paid 440 Euros for 2 nights. One thing to remember in Venice is you will have to lug your own luggage to your hotel. When I was researching where to stay, I noticed several places touted the fact that there were no bridges or only one bridge. I found out that meant how many bridges you had to cross with your luggage in tow from to vaporetto stop to get to them. And if you haven't been there before, a lot of the bridges are over little canals and are arched with several steps on either side. The Hotel Ala was a straight walk down a skinny alley from the vaporetto stop - very convenient. I understand you can get porters to haul your luggage for you, but I didn't research just how that works. Maybe someone else knows.

We stayed at the Hotel Marconi right by the Riatlo Bridge. I don't remember about the $$$, but the location was spectacular. Frankly, I can't think of a location in Venice that woudn't be spectacular. This is my very favorite city. Such a beautiful place.

Archived