First cruise from Port Canaveral HELP!!!

CaribbeanCrush

All our cruises have been out of Miami and I thought it would be the same for our next one, but my wife found a good deal on the Freedom next March so she wants me to consider changing our plans.

I am resistant, I guess because I'm comfortable with the Ft. Lauderdale (we usually fly into FLL) and Miami areas most planning would be a no-brainer.

Has anyone cruise from both Miami and Port Canaveral? How do they compare?

What airport do you fly into?

Where should we stay? We always plan to arrive the day before the cruise.

What is the best way to get around? How do we get to the port?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

For Port Canaveral you fly into Orlando. (Code is MCO.) You could also fly into Orlando-Sanford or Melbourne, but Orlando has the most options.

Where you should stay depends on what you want to see. You can stay in Orlando and try to do some touristy things, but if you only get there a day before you probably won't be able to see any theme parks. You could also head to the port straight from the airport and stay at the beach, which would be much easier to see in a day.

Best way to get around is by renting a car or getting a shuttle from the airport. Public transportation is not very good in Central Florida.

The airport is about 45 minutes from the port, a straight shot on the 528 expressway.

Do go to the Freedom its a massive girl, she is one the biggest ones. we leave in 18 more days, can not wait I did my research on her you will love her for the wine cellar that they have a big wine and liquior tasting

If you should decide to fly into orlando two things you ought to know How are you going to get around from the orlando to the port?

Rent a car or go by Mears Transportation out of Orlando.

They are the finest limo transportation you can get to the port Canaveral.

You can find them on google search.

So you can decide on there.

We took one year, even though we live 2 hours away, from the port, we took a cruise tours... this is where you fly to your destination and they book your hotel, rental car and get you to the port just 4 days before you cruise. it was alot of fun... walked out hinnies off and then relaxed for 7 days. it was alot of fun.

Red:D

hi red hot, i have sailed out of both, port canaveral is EASY...get a car rental since u r coming the day b4. car drop offs r right on the main drag, at least i know avis and i think it is budget right there. i forget who all we have used..alot of peeps stay at the radisson, it is not on the beach, but on the main drag..u will do fine with a car, or if u choose an shuttle u will have to take a cab everywhere. it is a small place, one main road easy...the port is a few miles from the pier and most hotels.

we stay at the comfort suites anymore, u can walk over the beach, its right across a small dead end road. karaoke in the bar, large pool. the radisson has a beautiful pool area with a shuttle to the port. but...every guest inthe place takes it. i think cs has a shuttle too. not sure on that one. but all the car places will run u over to the port.

very easy area to drive...cruisgal

I love flying into MCO and cruising out of PC. We usually rent a car, we have used Avis in the past and reserve their shuttle while making the reservation online. They don't require a credit card so I book a rental and watch it occasionally and if it drops I rebook. I have found some great discount codes for car rentals on www mousesavers dot com

We have stayed at the Radisson and it was really nice, the shuttle was chaos so we just went with the Avis shuttle and we were on the first one just after 10am. We have also stayed at Ron Jons Resort which is what we're trying for next June, it was a lot of fun! Have a great cruise :)

Avis, Budget, Thrifty/Dollar, Hertz & Enterprise all have locations at MCO and Cape Canaveral. We have used Avis, Budget & Thrifty/Dollar. They all offer free shuttles to/from the port and are all located on the same road in Cape Canaveral.

Country Inn & Suites is probaby the closest hotel to the port but they are all really within a few minutes drive. Residence Inn is also next door. They both offer free breakfast.

Because of the abundance of hotels in Orlando, we usually find better deals there and drive to the port the morning of the cruise - it's a very easy drive but there are a few tolls along the way (maybe about 3.00 worth so bring some change!) There's even a Hyatt located right in the airport which makes it super convenient if you are coming in late.

HTH!

I live just North of Orlando...It is very easy to fly into Orlando International Airport.. If you have an early flight you should just do the drive over and stay near the port, but if you get in late you can stay at the Holiday Inn Select Airport, they have Complimentary 24-hour airport shuttle. Most of the car rentals are located at the airport, the only ones that are off site is Hertz and Thrifty (which are located 1 block from the hotel)...

Archived