Disembarking Time Question

CandCrew

On the itenerary listed in my cruise personalizer, it shows the "start" time for Vancouver (where we disembark) as being 7:30 a.m. Is this the time the ship arrives or the time disembarking starts?

We finally got our cruiseair flight assignments and we're scheduled to depart Vancouver on an 11 a.m. flight :eek:. That means we need to be at the airport no later than 9 a.m. We are scheduled to used Princess Transfers but I'm wondering if we need to take a taxi or something else.

TIA for any help.

We finally got our cruiseair flight assignments and we're scheduled to depart Vancouver on an 11 a.m. flight :eek:. That means we need to be at the airport no later than 9 a.m. We are scheduled to used Princess Transfers but I'm wondering if we need to take a taxi or something else.
If you have cruise air and transfers, I wouldn't worry about it. You should be fine. They'll adjust whatever is necessary to make sure you're at the airport in time.

Thanks for the replies. Guess we're just going to have to hope and pray that everything goes smoothly. There is no way we can afford to change the return flight to a later time.

How long does it typically take for a ship to clear at the port so that disembarking can begin?

Sometimes disembarkation starts on time and goes very fast. But sometimes, at least for US ports (never disembarked in Canada), customs and immigrations officials don't board immediately (especially if there's more than one ship in port that day) or are checking out the crew that day, so the process starts late.

TIA for any help.

One question, are you connecting in the US or Canada? If you are connecting in Canada, you would be okay with arriving at the airport no later than 9am. But if you are flying directly back to the US, remember that you will have to go through US immigration at the airport before boarding your flight - so you will need additional time at the airport.

Unless by some miracle you can use US Direct (usually the earliest flight time for US Direct is 11:30am), you need to arrange to be the first off the ship and grab a taxi to the airport. Do NOT wait on cruiseline transfers.

We go from Vancouver to Denver so we'll have to go through immigration.

Guess we'll be taking a taxi to the airport. Also need to pass this on to the couple that is traveling "with" us (DH's colleague/wife not really together with us but on same cruise/flights).

On the itenerary listed in my cruise personalizer, it shows the "start" time for Vancouver (where we disembark) as being 7:30 a.m. Is this the time the ship arrives or the time disembarking starts?

TIA for any help.

It doable if you get express walk off with your luggage.

Never use transfers with a tight flight time like this.

A cab is around $27 and is available right inside the terminal.

Essentially there is no way of knowing how long it could take for the ship to clear port? Anyone remotely have a time estimate? Are we talking hours?

So if we are able to do US Direct, do we still take Princess for our transfer? I'm leary of a CL transfer leaving in a narrow window.

BTW--I emailed our TA about the time frame and was told that it's "legal" & that we wouldn't have to do US immigration in Vancouver because it's a domestic flight and we'd only need to be at the airport 1-1/2 hours before departure instead of 2+ hours for international. Since when is going from Canada into the US domestic? Am I missing something? I'm trying to not be irritated but if we have to take a cab, we're paying for a transfer we're not going to use and it's the CL/air fault + having to pay extra to get to the airport!

Thanks again for info or insight.

So if we are able to do US Direct, do we still take Princess for our transfer? I'm leary of a CL transfer leaving in a narrow window.

If you are able to use US Direct you MUST use the cruiseline transfers and it is actually your best option (if your flight is not to early to use it) as you will get to skip both Canadian immigration at the pier and US immigration at the airport and also get to skip having to stand in line to check in for your flights.

Essentially there is no way of knowing how long it could take for the ship to clear port? Anyone remotely have a time estimate? Are we talking hours?

BTW--I emailed our TA about the time frame and was told that it's "legal" & that we wouldn't have to do US immigration in Vancouver because it's a domestic flight and we'd only need to be at the airport 1-1/2 hours before departure instead of 2+ hours for international. Since when is going from Canada into the US domestic? Am I missing something? I'm trying to not be irritated but if we have to take a cab, we're paying for a transfer we're not going to use and it's the CL/air fault + having to pay extra to get to the airport!

Thanks again for info or insight.

Forget the transfer, if you want to make that flight then walk off with your luggage.

If the cruise line booked this and you are paying the cruise line for the airare; then go with the flow, they have to be responsible to get you to the airport on time. If you booked this yourself; then yes you need to self disembark and get to the airport yourself; but from what I'm reading in our original post, you are using cruise air.

If you booked the cruise and air together including transfers, they are responsible for making sure you make the flight. If you miss the flight, they should put you on the next one. But heck, flights never leave on time (check the specific flight's on-time performance online). Ships typically dock on or before the announced time. You should make it. Do not let it stress you.

If the cruise line booked this and you are paying the cruise line for the airare; then go with the flow, they have to be responsible to get you to the airport on time.

If you booked the cruise and air together including transfers, they are responsible for making sure you make the flight. If you miss the flight, they should put you on the next one. But heck, flights never leave on time (check the specific flight's on-time performance online). Ships typically dock on or before the announced time. You should make it. Do not let it stress you.

This is not good advice. Just because you booked cruise air does NOT mean they will get you to the flight on time. And yes they will put you on a later flight - but only on the same airline and it will require there being space available on that later flight. Last time I missed a flight home from a cruise (and it was a cruiseline booked flight) there was only 1 seat available all day, and this was before airlines reduced capacity. If I had been traveling with someone else, we would've been out of luck to get home that day. As it was the only reason I got that one seat was because an airline rep took pity on me. The cruiseline reps were nowhere to be found to help out.

The cruise is July 25-August 1 so Canada Line won't help but thanks for the heads up.

As far as just relying on the cruiseline . . . if you read the fine print on the passage contract in section 15, part F it states:

"All travel facilities, tours, products or services, other than aboard Carrier’s vessels and tenders, provided in connection with, before, after or during Your Cruise, including but not limited to pre and post cruise activities, shore excursions, hotel accommodations, meals, or transportation of any kind by any vessel, vehicle, aircraft or other conveyance, are provided, owned and/or operated by independent contractors whose employees, facilities, conveyances, products and services are not subject to Carrier’s supervision or control. In providing or selling reservations or tickets in connection with any such activities, or by accompanying You during such activities, Carrier does so as a convenience to Passengers and shall be entitled to impose a charge and earn a profit from the sale of such excursions, services or transportation, but does not undertake to supervise or control such independent contractors or their employees, conveyances or facilities, and accepts no liability for any loss, delay, damage, injury, death, misrepresentation or disappointment whatsoever resulting therefrom.

Princess has told uour TA that the arrangements are "legal"--as in meeting the bare minimum of what is doable/allowable according to the cruise/airline industry. Yeah, it's doable in a very limited way--everything has to go next to perfect (dock on time, ship clears port quickly, no transfer delays, no problems with immigration at the airport, etc.). If everything DOESN'T go next to perfectly, we are supposed to rely in the CL and airlines--whose best interests will be taken care of first, not ours? I think not. Cruiseair tickets are near the bottom of the "pecking order" and space will likely be very limited out of Vancouver as it is. Having to fly a step above standby could leave us with real problems. The only good thing about this is that we're aware of the potential problems and will be prepared/proactive in getting ourselves home (including planning on being stranded overnight somewhere or possibly having to take redeye flights).

I have talked to people that were given a credit for their transfers and told that Princess would not be able to guarentee getting them to the airport in time for their early flight. Remember, they wait until they fill the bus before they leave. If you board the bus first, then your luggage will probably not be first off. So check with the pursers office and have a back up plan ready.

Thanks Donna--Was the flight of the people you know arranged through Princess Air? That's what has me a bit in a tizzy. It's not like we independently picked the flight that leaves so early. I'll definitely be asking for a credit on the transfers if we aren't able to use them due to Princess's scheduling.

We could pay for deviation but, in addition to the $75 per ticket, we'd also have to pay the difference in price of the tickets for the new flight. We have what we have and are just going to have to roll with it.

Archived