Have we become spoilt?

The Fox

We loved the Fairstar, but I think people's expectations have changed. Some of the cabins didn't even have an ensuite bathroom. I don't think the Fairstar would be a success in today's market.

Evon.

Thanks Col, what an interesting topic. I would like to add my own 2 cents. You said: "Most of us now are fortunate enough now to be able to cruise at least once a year and select from numerous fabulous cruises on offer." I think that is where I have to differ, there are a lot of people around here who can't, for various reasons cruise every year. They may not post as often but are here.

I am one of those;) people who has posted asking for a comparison in ships. Let me explain why. For me a cruise is an ABSOLUTE luxury something that my family and I have worked very hard to achieve (I know, I know you all do!), something we will not be able to do on a regular basis. For my husband, myself and our 5 children this is really a once in a lifetime trip for us. A very big splurge. Therefore to justify the amount of money we are spending on a very big WANT, I need to know what we are in for and what is going to give us value for money. Our budget is limited so knowing the answers to all those inane questions etc can avoid disaster and I guess disappointment. Does that make sense? I KNOW without a doubt we will have a hoot when our cruise finally comes and that we will appreciate every second of it:D. We have a great time where ever we go.

I do think you are right that "we" have become spoilt in our expectations for many things and that "we" measure our happiness on what others do for us instead of coming from within ourselves and being happy with how we make situations. Sorry for my rambling!:o

I personally like the fact that people can place their reviews here. I do think it is a little sad that people may feel that it is difficult to place anything other than a glowing review here.:( Whilst some may be petty, small complaints, in some peoples opinions, they are that persons experience. We all percieve things differently and whilst I probably wouldn't agree with those complaints myself, I do however defend the rights of people to place them here without fear of being told off or labelled as a whiner etc. That is what makes these boards great, that ANYONE can post their opinion good, bad or indifferent. You must admit it also makes for some good reading, it can be like a soap opera at times:rolleyes:!

Apologies for the long post ~ especially from a non (soon to be) cruiser:o!

Angela

Hi Angela

How old are your children? We only have 1 son and he was 11 when we first cruised (a weekend on the Fairstar). He loved it then and has been twice since with his fiancee.:)

The kids clubs are terrific. Frequently posters report that their children don't want to leave Shark Shack etc. and spend time with their parents.:eek::eek:

I'm sure you will have great time.

Jenny

Our kids are 16, 15, 13, 5 and 3. Our 6th child (in between 3 and 4) died unexpectedly at age 2. I digress, sorry, I feel bad if I don't include him in my family. So a good opportunity to add him in there. They are all very excited. Hubby and I have wanted to do the Uluru thing and have looked at it for ages, but doing the sums etc we just couldn't beat a cruise so have given the Uluru idea up for a while. The cruise is the only bigger holiday that truly has something for all of us, given the various age groups we cover. Can't wait.

Angela

Hopefully a future cruise addict (in the making)

Hi Angela, I have no doubt whatsoever that you are a cruise addict in the making and you are totally right in saying free speech should be welcomed and posters should not be restrained from expressing their opinions. I just would like them to keep it balanced, no cruise is ever all good or all bad and we all prefer different things. What might be a big deal to me may not be such a big deal to someone else.

My experience in cruising with my family is that it really is the perfect family holiday...no boring drives, no housework for Mum, lots of entertainment for the kids, easy to stick to budget since your food, accommodation and entertainment is already paid for and absolutely no "are we there yet" comments from the back seat.

As for affordability, yes that is a bit of an issue with school aged kids if you are locked into school times you will pay a premium to cruise then...but sometimes you can get one just on one side or another of the holidays at a really good price...a few days off school is not a big deal when a cruise can also be such a learning experience. (My excuse anyway).

I have no cruises booked at the moment (since have done nearly two months at sea since December) and am suffering withdrawal..sorry for the long ramblings..sign of my post cruise blues.

Archived