Buenos Aires Restaurants

digby

I am interested in two restaurants in Buenos Aires, La Cabana and Cabana Las Lilas - both steak places. Has anyone had any experience with either? I had a wonderful dinner at La Cabana 30 years ago. I know the one that is now open is not the original one. As I recall, people dine very late in BA by USA standards. How dressed up does a man need to be?

Any other suggestions?

I just got back from a vacation in BA - we were there for a week - and one of the restaurants we ate in was Cabana Las Lilas. The food and service was quite good. It is very expensive by BA standards, but only what I would call "high moderate" when compared to prices in US. It was one of two big splurge meals for us on the trip and I think we spent about $30 US per person, including a bottle of wine (wine is very inexpensive in BA). That was for way too much food. The steak I had was very good. The restaurant had mostly foreigners - and was located in Puerto Madero, a redone former port area, now full of upscale restaurants and some shops.

One other place I'd recommend is Social Paraiso, in the Palermo Viejo neighborhood - a nice area to walk around in. SP is more intimate, and the menu is sort of "modern/eclectic" - a couple of fish dishes, vegetarian, meat, etc. Also not chaep by BA standards, but we ate for about $12 US per person for apps. and entrees.

As for dress, nice business casual is fine for CLL, casual for almost any place is fine. I don't know that there is an actual NEED to wear a jacket and tie anywhere - I certainly did not encounter that.

"I don't know that there is an actual NEED to wear a jacket and tie anywhere"

I hope that is true especially since it will be summer when we are there next month. I did read that coat and tie were required at La Cabana. I ate there 30 years ago, but don't remember what I wore, but I do remember what I ate. LOL!

Archived