Rio Taxis

NDRB

Can anyone advise as to how much it should cost to take a taxi from the airport to Copacabana?

How about from Copacabana to the cruise ship pier?

Any "cons" to watch out for with the taxi drivers? (When I was there in 1983, I well remember how we feared for our lives while literally TEARING around Rio in taxis...)

I don't suppose the taxi drivers in Rio take credit cards? We should be able to easily get some cash from an airport ATM (Cirrus), though?

Thanks, Nina

Nina:

Lonely Planet's Rio tour book advises that the safest course is to purchase radio cab voucher for a set fee in the airport. Taxi to Copa via radio cab will run about $30. While a regular cab may try to rip you off, it's fare to Copa will be about $20 assuming they're honest. Have a great trip.

Jim in Florida

Jim, is there a desk at the airport to purchase these taxi vouchers?

Will the taxis definitely take US dollars? No credit cards?

Nina

Just took a taxi from Copacabana to the airport and paid in US dollars...30 I think.

Can anyone advise as to how much it should cost to take a taxi from the airport to Copacabana?

How about from Copacabana to the cruise ship pier?

Any "cons" to watch out for with the taxi drivers? (When I was there in 1983, I well remember how we feared for our lives while literally TEARING around Rio in taxis...)

I don't suppose the taxi drivers in Rio take credit cards? We should be able to easily get some cash from an airport ATM (Cirrus), though?

Thanks, Nina

Might check with your hotel about transfers!

Hello,

I'm pretty sure that the taxis in Rio do not take credit cards, I would probably get that voucher, just pay cash, or get the hotel tranfer (if one is available). They also speak little or no english, so be prepared! You may want to learn a little Portuguese or have your destination written down for them to see. Also remember that the Brazilian Real is very weak again the US dollar, R$1.00 would be equal to about US$0.33. I was in Rio earlier this year and never felt unsafe in a cab, I actually felt that the Brazilians we met (either in a cab, at a market, whatever), were quite honest and nice.

I loved Rio, have tons of fun!

Archived