Is it necessary to prebook whale watch in Juneau

Disneyworld

I've pre-booked with Orca for July 8th because there will be at minimum seven cruise ships visiting Juneau on that date. If I were you, I'd find out how crowded it might be the day you are going to be there.

This can be done on the Cruise Calendar site. Try this url:

http://www.cruisecal.com/portal/PortDetail/tabid/2899/Default.aspx?calendarid=1122

Personally, I would make the arrangements in advance, I'm a self professed planner though.

Due to time constraints with when we are arriving and departing...and of course the time we would be whale watching, I wanted to make sure we were guaranteed seats and of course would be able to get back on the ship in time.

I checked the ports for the day we are interested in and no other ship is in except our ship, the Carnival Spirit, so I guess that "ups" our chances of booking on the spot. Thanks everyone for yur advice. I am usually a planner too, but do to various circumstances, it might be necessary to just take our chances. I just wanted to make sure that this type of tour is possible to do the same day in certain situations, not that it is absolutely not done.

If you have a decent port time, and available for a couple timeframes, walk up space will be available for you. There are several whale watch vendors.

We are in port a very long time--from 7 am to 11 pm.

So, we will wait and determine at the time. Thanks.

You may want to at least do some research on the web as to who you might want to go out with. There are many different operators here and though you more than likely will go to the same spots, each experience can be vary different. Some boats care 6 max, others upwards of 100...All depends on what kind of tour you want. Do a little homework and maybe some calling around. Its pretty slow around downtown when its just a Carnival day so someone will have room.

You may want to at least do some research on the web as to who you might want to go out with. There are many different operators here and though you more than likely will go to the same spots, each experience can be vary different. Some boats care 6 max, others upwards of 100...All depends on what kind of tour you want. Do a little homework and maybe some calling around. Its pretty slow around downtown when its just a Carnival day so someone will have room.

I have been doing research, research, research on all of my tour selections, so you are correct in saying I should at least have some idea who I might look for to see if they have room, great idea!!

Hey Disneyworld

Do share your findings .I too will book when we arrive .Worse comes to worse book for the following week if all is full

Looking forward to our excursion in the Yukon

Will be in touch before we leave

WEather will be a factor for al excursions so I am waiting till we get there for final decisions

Michele

check out latest review on Carnival website _GREAT!!!

I checked the ports for the day we are interested in and no other ship is in except our ship, the Carnival Spirit, so I guess that "ups" our chances of booking on the spot. Thanks everyone for yur advice. I am usually a planner too, but do to various circumstances, it might be necessary to just take our chances. I just wanted to make sure that this type of tour is possible to do the same day in certain situations, not that it is absolutely not done.

Take a look at the Alaska Cruise Ship Schedule.

http://www.claalaska.com/schedules.html

If you're on the Carnival Spirit leaving Vancouver on July 8th, it looks like there will be 2 other ships in Juneau with you on the 11th and 4 other ships on the 19th, although a couple are smaller ships. Although Ketchikan looks much busier with 4 other ships, then 3 other ships.

I have pre booked with Capt. Larry. I wanted to make sure we got Capt. Larry and not any other Capt. So if you want someone special I would book in advance. I wanted to be with him and him only as he has GREAT reviews from here.

Katie

Leaving Next Sunday for our cruise to Alaska. Can't wait......:p

I've pre-booked with Orca for July 8th because there will be at minimum seven cruise ships visiting Juneau on that date. If I were you, I'd find out how crowded it might be the day you are going to be there.

This can be done on the Cruise Calendar site. Try this url:

I tried the link but it says you have to pay/subscribe.

From what I was told by a vendor in Juneau, you can find last minute whale watching tours. However, if you are interested in one of the smaller boats, you may not get on those. As already mentioned, it is a good idea to have names and phone numbers of the vendors you are interested in. You don't want to waste precious time hunting down a tour.

I would say prebook or at least check to see how many ship will be at port in Juneau on that date. I am to leave this Friday for AK and there will be at least three cruise ships there the same time our ship arrives. Certain companys w. sighting guarantees can only take a limited amount. So find out. Plus, May-Aug is prime whale watch sighting so most companies will guarantee sightings, so probability will be super low around those times for no reservations.

Take a look at the Alaska Cruise Ship Schedule.

http://www.claalaska.com/schedules.html

If you're on the Carnival Spirit leaving Vancouver on July 8th, it looks like there will be 2 other ships in Juneau with you on the 11th and 4 other ships on the 19th, although a couple are smaller ships. Although Ketchikan looks much busier with 4 other ships, then 3 other ships.

Thanks for the links. I too tried this one and realized I had to pay, so I took your advice and tried the other "Free link" you provided in a later post.

I had looked at the port schedule of another website, and that is where I had gotten my original info.

Anyway, under this other website you provided, it looks like on the 11th, the Mariner of the Sea is the only other ship, and actually, we are in Juneau Southbound on the 18th, not the 19th, and again it is just the Mariner of the Seas and us, the Spirit.

No matter, we are still not sure what we want to do. Actually, what has happened to our itinerary, is that what we had planned, now adds up to a lot more money on excursions than we had planned so we are trying to "weed" out some, that is very hard to do. We want to do it all!!!;), but we are torn with all of our choices as to which one would be best eiliminate.:confused:

Actually, what has happened to our itinerary, is that what we had planned, now adds up to a lot more money on excursions than we had planned so we are trying to "weed" out some, that is very hard to do. We want to do it all!!!;), but we are torn with all of our choices as to which one would be best eiliminate.:confused:

It is not easy to eliminate. My suggestion is to think a bit about what you like. It is very easy to get caught up on this board with everyone's "must see and do's." It didn't take me long to realize that many of the people who post on here, have a lot more financial resources than I do. I live a much different lifestyle than so many. You wouldn't know the world economy is in any kind of trouble by reading these boards. Once you really think about what kinds of things you like to do, it might be easier to decide what to skip. I know that I originally booked the whale watch. It never really appealed to me, but so many on this board say it is a must do in Juneau. Well, we ended up cancelling it, and I was glad I did. We were able to see whales from our ship and from our Adventure Bound boat tour and I have to say I would have been bored silly sitting on a boat waiting to see whales. We are all different. Figure out what really "floats your boat" and then choose the few things that best fit your interests. If you do a search for visiting ports on a budget, there are many threads that will give you great ideas. Good luck with your planning and enjoy Alaska, whatever you decide to do!!!

It is not easy to eliminate. My suggestion is to think a bit about what you like. It is very easy to get caught up on this board with everyone's "must see and do's." It didn't take me long to realize that many of the people who post on here, have a lot more financial resources than I do. I live a much different lifestyle than so many. You wouldn't know the world economy is in any kind of trouble by reading these boards. Once you really think about what kinds of things you like to do, it might be easier to decide what to skip. I know that I originally booked the whale watch. It never really appealed to me, but so many on this board say it is a must do in Juneau. Well, we ended up cancelling it, and I was glad I did. We were able to see whales from our ship and from our Adventure Bound boat tour and I have to say I would have been bored silly sitting on a boat waiting to see whales. We are all different. Figure out what really "floats your boat" and then choose the few things that best fit your interests. If you do a search for visiting ports on a budget, there are many threads that will give you great ideas. Good luck with your planning and enjoy Alaska, whatever you decide to do!!!

Well said, planning this trip has been the most overwhelming of all the cruises and trips we've taken. Budget is a huge consideration and we can't do it all! Pre-cruise planning is all consuming. After reading the recent reviews from Carnival Spirit I am more at ease. Seems the to me that Alaska is a a sight to behold and there are many, that cost little to nothing (you've already paid for the cruise). I am excited to bundle up and watch the shore from the ships rail...to have coffee or hot chocolate on the cabin balcony. To walk around hte towns we visit. This cruise is going to be like no other....it is totally about seeing the "Great State", the vast wilderness. I am more relaxed, will wing it for the most part and will plan accordingly for things I really really want to experience. I can't wait for this adventure.

I too agree there seems to be so much to do but unfortunately not cheap .Every excursion is over 100$ pp for me that's times 2 plus 25% exchange so at LEAST 300$ per excursion .In certain places like Juneau ..we want to do whales,the Glacier and the tram that meand over 450$ per person for 1 day OUCH OUCH OUCH

:( :( :(

REALLY EXPENSIVE

BUT it is a once in a lifetime trip so will play it by ear

Besides most ports are that expensive .I still have a few more excursions I would love to do but $$$$ will be the ICH

When we went to Alaska in May '07, we KNEW we would go back to do/see more. We are booked back on the NCL Pearl in September and are having the same problem....what to choose. Guess we will have to go back AGAIN. After an Euorpean cruise in two years, though.

I have pre booked with Capt. Larry. I wanted to make sure we got Capt. Larry and not any other Capt. So if you want someone special I would book in advance. I wanted to be with him and him only as he has GREAT reviews from here.

Katie

Leaving Next Sunday for our cruise to Alaska. Can't wait......:p

Capt Larry (from Orca) gets rave reviews, but so does Harv & Marv. You can't go wrong with either of these companies.

Archived