Where to find history on a particular ship?

TangleWeb

I read various posts in CC where knowledgeable cruisers or TAs mention the age of a ship, the date it was refurbished, or other interesting tidbits. Where is a good source of this information? I know that the cruise lines will often mention when a ship was in dry dock & what was done, but is there a single place to look for this info?

~Dave

Dave another great reference is the Ocean Cruising Book written by Douglas Ward and published by Berlitz. It is updated annually. It has about a three page writeup on each cruise ship includng items such as age, original cost, last major refurbishment and cost and lot of good information. It's a good resource to have.

Keith

Dave another great reference is the Ocean Cruising Book written by Douglas Ward and published by Berlitz. It is updated annually. It has about a three page writeup on each cruise ship includng items such as age, original cost, last major refurbishment and cost and lot of good information. It's a good resource to have.

Keith

Sounds great. I've heard of this book from other threads, but was under the impression it only covered luxury cruise lines & ships.

As to "Googling", I wasn't sure what terms to search for. Of course it's easy to get info on a ship IF you know the ship name, but if you're contemplating different itineraries, it's nice to have a resource that covers ships of many lines. I'll be getting a copy of the "Ocean Cruising Book" when we return from our 7-day Eastern Caribbean cruise & I have some money again. This might be a while after we return :)

Thanks for all the great links so far!

~Dave

Sounds great. I've heard of this book from other threads, but was under the impression it only covered luxury cruise lines & ships.

As to "Googling", I wasn't sure what terms to search for. Of course it's easy to get info on a ship IF you know the ship name, but if you're contemplating different itineraries, it's nice to have a resource that covers ships of many lines. I'll be getting a copy of the "Ocean Cruising Book" when we return from our 7-day Eastern Caribbean cruise & I have some money again. This might be a while after we return :)

Thanks for all the great links so far!

~Dave

The book includes writeups on ships across the various brands includng Mass Market, Premium and Luxury Lines.

Keith

Thanks again for the great links! I'm sure I'll be able to research any ship I'm interested in. I like the idea of cruising on a ship just refurbished in dry dock, or newer ships. Ship history is interesting in any case, especially if it's one we'll be sailing on :)

~Dave

Here's another good site with information on current and past cruise ships, ocean liners, ferries, etc. Great postcards, pictures of older ships and newer...history of many of the current ships, etc.

http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/

On the right side of the front page is a list....just click on one and browse around.

Fun, too.

I'm one of those people who often posts ship rating/age/refurbishing dates....but I can't share my source, because it's inside the site of a popular online travel agency, out of Houston Texas. CC prevents such postings relating to specific agencies, even when not recommending *booking* through that site. <sigh> The same site has a great search function.

However, if you Google and look around, you can probably find the one I'm referring to, or something similar.

I'm also a big fan of the Berlitz Complete Guide to Cruising and Cruise Ships, by Douglas Ward. The book is revised every year, but not always with updated reviews to reflect modifications/refits. Some reviews are repetitive (essentially the same review for every ship in a particular "class"). Despite this, it's one of the most honest books around. Too many guides neglect to tell it as it is for smoking policies, announcements, etc. (IMO)

Archived