Never been there and I'm never going back!

Karysa

I know some of you won't agree but my wife and me flew to Tahitii a few years ago and cruised the Tahittian islands. They all look the same. Yes, the water is beautiful but it was about an 8 hour flight over there and thats along flight just to see beautiful water. There's absolutely nothing to do on the islands at all. So it comes down to "beautiful water for 7 days"!!!!!!! Needless to say after 7 days we were "bored" out of our mind. Never again.

It's what's IN the beautiful water that makes it worth the flight.

That was my first thought as well. Then I was thinking Antartica because I don't like the cold.

Karysa

Was just in Antarctica in February and it was colder where I came from in the US!

actually maybe someday when we are old and gray and have thoroughly exhausted all of the warm weather cruises MAYBE we will try an alaskan cruise.

Don't wait till your old. The raft trip down the Mendenhall takes strength as well as the canoe races across a lake followed by one of the best salmon bakes I have ever been too. Riding in a sled being pulled by a dog team or landing on a glacier and walking around also takes physical fitness. So much to do.

No flames from me......

Well, whether I like it or not I will NEVER go to Dubai or Singapore, since I take medicine for my chronic pain.

I could be arrested the minute I set foot on their soil.

Otherwise, I never say never...

the unsafe places are just way down on the checklist...

just got back from Turkey, Greece and Bulgaria ~ a land vacation for 24 days and

yes even a few times in Turkey I felt like I was being talked down to as woman...it was rare but it happened.

In more rural areas it's their culture and I let my DH step right up and handle it.

But it was something that I didnt let affect me, since I wasn't in the USA

Next year covers among many other places Tunisia, Malta, Egypt and Israel

and in less than a month this California girl..who considers the perfect temperature 77-82 degrees leaves on her 16th Alaska cruise,

Alaska is just breathtakingly beautiful and one year I was in Juneau when it was 80 degrees..

so always pack a pair shorts..because you never know!

and the comment about Tahiti..I WISH our motu picnic excursion never made it back to the ship

and I was still stranded there eating coconuts and living in my pareo.....I would be blissfully bored counting seashells on the seashore!

Buon Viaggio to all of you!

Edited by where2next

No flames from me......

Well, whether I like it or not I will NEVER go to Dubai or Singapore, since I take medicine for my chronic pain.

just got back from Turkey, Greece and Bulgaria ~ a land vacation for 24 days and

yes even a few times in Turkey I felt like I was being talked down to as woman...it was rare but it happened.

In more rural areas it's their culture and I let my DH step right up and handle it.

and in less than a month this California girl..who considers the perfect temperature 77-82 degrees leaves on her 16th Alaska cruise,

Alaska is just breathtakingly beautiful and one year I was in Juneau when it was 80 degrees..

and the comment about Tahiti..I WISH our motu picnic excursion never made it back to the ship

and I was still stranded there eating coconuts and living in my pareo.....I would be blissfully bored counting seashells on the seashore!

Welcome back! Looking forward to reading about your most recent travels soon -- particularly Turkey (wasn't Cappadocia out of this world, literally?) and Greece, where I'm planning to go for a longer visit in the near future.

I hate to say it because I'm sure I'll get flamed...But I have no intentions on ever going to Alaska...or anywhere else on vacation where the temp is below 80 degrees.

No flames from us. Alaska's coast holds no appeal for us. I know others love it (including a couple of family members). I think that's great, but I don't understand why they feel the need to tell us that we're somehow "wrong" for not wanting to go the same places they do. We understand what we're "missing," but still aren't interested. We might consider a land trip to inland Alaska, but there are many other places higher on our list, including Australia, Italy, Spain, Palma de Majorica, Portugal, Switzerland, and the Society Islands (which would be a first for me and a return visit for my DH).

I know that Alaska is completely different from Scandinavia, so the experience wouldn't be the same, but the beauty of the Norwegian fjords and northern coast are what suits us. The midnight sun and other "above the Arctic circle" experiences in Norway are what we cherish. OTOH, I was an exchange student in Norway in high school and spent some time in Denmark. We love visiting both countries. And yes, they have summer seasons too. In fact, they had one of the hottest summers on record (high 70s and well into the 80s for 2 months solid) the year I lived there. (Naturally I got teased about "bringing the California sun" with me.):)

Other places we have no interest in visiting: China, Vietnam, Thailand, and basically that entire region; most of India; the Panama Canal and most of Central America; Mexico; Africa. We have friends who say we're "crazy" or "narrow minded" for not wanting to visit these places. I say they should respect our choices and not ask that we "defend" our personal preferences.

I think it's wonderful that there are so many cruise (and land) options that we can all choose from for our adventures.

beachchick

I am happy to go anywhere where there isn't conflict.

I am new to cruising but have enjoyed many memorable land trips. Our 3 trips to India were truly wonderful and will go back there in future. We have travelled extensively in South East Asia and would say our 21 day trip through Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia was our best trip ever. Bangkok is my favourite city in the world and I would go there at a moments thought.

Our least favourite was Barbados. We went there for 2 weeks and saw everything there was to see in about 3 days. This left us bored since we are not beach type people.

I think everyone has there preferences and ours is for culture, interesting food and history. The world would not be such fun if we were all the same and places were all the same.

Jean

Always tavel with an open mind

No flames from me......

Many of the places listed seem to be generally a hit or a miss but Alaska seems to be the place that many people love and go over and over again much like the Caribbean and then there are some like my DH who has never been and he never wants to go back. I know part of this is to do with his perception that it will be cold but I don't think people who work for National Geographic enjoy taking nature pictures more than he does. Does anyone know if there is an excursion that is run by a nature photographer in any of the ports on the Alaskan cruise? This might be a way of getting him on board.

Karysa

Many of the places listed seem to be generally a hit or a miss but Alaska seems to be the place that many people love and go over and over again much like the Caribbean and then there are some like my DH who has never been and he never wants to go back. I know part of this is to do with his perception that it will be cold but I don't think people who work for National Geographic enjoy taking nature pictures more than he does. Does anyone know if there is an excursion that is run by a nature photographer in any of the ports on the Alaskan cruise? This might be a way of getting him on board.

Karysa

Encourage him to go here: http://www.hallobay.com/

Yes, expensive. No, not a cruise.

BUT National Geographic/Discover Channel/Animal Planet have all been to Hallo Bay and shot some absolutely SPECTACULAR videos/pictures. Big Bear Week (BBC) feature on Brown bears was also shot entirely at Hallo Bay. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0834476/

What happened,? I have always found Immigration polite, some of them have even had a bit of banter with us. We have entered the USA every year for the past 20 years or so and never had a problem.

Yes, we've found that in Orlando, and especially at the little airport (Sandford, is it?). But like many British passengers on cruise lines, we've experienced problems-not fair to say what, as it could have been a bad day for the staff. A lovely man at Sandford apologised for the detailed check he was doing before we left for Manchester-this was just after 7/11-we said no problem, because the last time we'd flown from there to Manchester, Man had just been blown up, and we were used to being thoroughly checked due to all the UK bombings. He should have had a medal for diplomacy-jocap.

as far as the middle east - been there done that and am still doing it ( it is only 102 today in Baghdad LOL )[/QUOTE]

About the same as Laredo, Texas.

Yeah but I bet nobody's shooting at you in Laredo.

Stay alert gunny!

Depends, you into drugs?:confused::eek:

Don't wait till your old. The raft trip down the Mendenhall takes strength as well as the canoe races across a lake followed by one of the best salmon bakes I have ever been too. Riding in a sled being pulled by a dog team or landing on a glacier and walking around also takes physical fitness. So much to do.

Wife's not interested in going, now you tell me I'm no longer able to enjoy Alaska!:(

Think I'll go fishing.:p

I have no desire to visit Victoria, BC by cruise ship. Not that there's anything wrong with the place...it's just that I've been there a million times (although never on a cruise) and have no need to go back. :-)

Encourage him to go here: http://www.hallobay.com/

Yes, expensive. No, not a cruise.

BUT National Geographic/Discover Channel/Animal Planet have all been to Hallo Bay and shot some absolutely SPECTACULAR videos/pictures. Big Bear Week (BBC) feature on Brown bears was also shot entirely at Hallo Bay. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0834476/

Beautiful pictures but it didn't work yet. I'll keep working on him.

Thanks though!

Karysa

I have no desire to visit Victoria, BC by cruise ship. Not that there's anything wrong with the place...it's just that I've been there a million times (although never on a cruise) and have no need to go back. :-)

You feel about Victoria, sort've the way I would feel having Charlestons, SC as a port. I enjoy that city but it is an easy drive for a quick weekend trip for me.

Of course sometimes this cannot be helped, about our going to ports we did not choose. On another board there was an angry person because Mariner of the seas changed their itinerary to an US west coast and Victoria, instead of the Mexican Riviera. (Swine flu thingie)

I understood her distress since she was from Oregon, but nevertheless, she seemed to think Royal Caribbean had changed their itinerary merely to punish her. She went on and on that she had spent thousands of dollars to go to ports she lived near, and she was not wealthy like "the rest" of us. I have no idea how she came up with that everyone posting on that thread was wealthy.

Sometimes we have to accept that we may go to a port we would not normally choose, because of elements beyond the crusie line's control. If that bothers us, perhaps we should plan an alternate vacation and NOT a cruise.

You feel about Victoria, sort've the way I would feel having Charlestons, SC as a port. I enjoy that city but it is an easy drive for a quick weekend trip for me.

...and I suppose if I lived in San Diego, I'd feel the same way about Ensenada, Mexico. :-)

So far I've managed to book 3 cruises in and out of the Seattle/Vancouver area without a stop in Victoria, but I'm probably running out of suitable itineraries. :-)

...and I suppose if I lived in San Diego, I'd feel the same way about Ensenada, Mexico. :-)

So far I've managed to book 3 cruises in and out of the Seattle/Vancouver area without a stop in Victoria, but I'm probably running out of suitable itineraries. :-)

On our lone Alaska cruise we had a table mate from Washington state. She had cruised Alaska numerous times. She did not like flying and said she would continue to do those cruises, as she enjoyed them. I could not help but wonder if any line would do Mexico from Seattle occasionally. Do any do that? I guess not now though-since the Swine flu thingie.

I hate to say it because I'm sure I'll get flamed...But I have no intentions on ever going to Alaska...or anywhere else on vacation where the temp is below 80 degrees.

No flames here. I have heard the Alaska cruises are gorgeous, but to me, a cruise means wearing a bathing suit and drinking a tropical cocktail.

You can take Agadir, Morocco off your bucket list. If you enjoy seeing trash everywhere, this is the place for you. The continutal panhandling is just an added bonus. My husband likened it to Beirut. "Nuf said?