Buenos Aires to Santiago -- How important is port or starboard?

ALadyNCal

I would definitely do the starboard side. We had a balcony, and I could actually lay on our sofa, and watch the beautiful scenery. You are very close to the shore at times, but can see the snow capped mountains in the distance.

Grace

Personally, I spend so little daylight time in the cabin, it is of no difference to me. We were on the HAL Ryndam and sat in the Crow's Nest nearly all day for our days at sea. Much of this trip it is too cold to sit out on your balcony, especially when under way. When you are in the Beagle or Darwin Channel or through the Straits it does not matter (land on both sides) and there was not a lot to see on the coast of Chile (and the weather was bad there anyway).

• 2 weeks later...

When you are sailing from Buenos Aires to Valparaiso,always book the starboard side.When you go through the Glaciers they are all on that side.If you where doing the other direction you would choose the Port Side.

The others have it right, starboard for BA to S & port reverse way. We did S to BA with a port O/S cabin purely so we could look out at the odd times we were in cabin & on waking up in morning. Best be on deck for major scenic moments as it is both sides & gives you an overall perspective. In my honest opinion a balcony is a waste of money & time on this route, even for cape horn you go past it one way then turn & come back.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived