Booze at Canadian ports

TMJBR

Sorry to say we don't have any cheap booze in Canada. We have lots of "sin taxes" here. On the up side, we do have lots of good stuff; some of the best Micro-brewery beer you'll ever taste. Try some BC wines, they are excellent.

If you are in the province of Quebec(or country as they like to think it is)u can buy it a lot cheaper than the rest of the country since the tax is a lot less,especially cheaper than in New Brunswick.:)

I know Canada is not the Carribbean, but does anyone know if you can get booze cheap up there?

Actually some of us Canadian's that live near the border go down to the US for "cheap Booze". It is actually much more expensive here than in the US. :)

Sin tax in British Columbia (Vancouver/Victoria) is EXTREMELY high. Landlocked Alberta has much better prices but you will have to cross the Rockies. Wine prices in BC are an absolute disgrace.

Sin tax in British Columbia (Vancouver/Victoria) is EXTREMELY high. Landlocked Alberta has much better prices but you will have to cross the Rockies. Wine prices in BC are an absolute disgrace.

Couldn't agree more - some of my favorite wines are almost cheaper in USD AND onboard a cruise ship than they are here in Vancouver...

My favorite liqueur is also $28 more here than it is back in Alberta...

Booze in BC - mostly government run liquour stores

Booze in AB - privately run, free enterprise liquour stores therefore cheaper prices.

I will add though that there are a few private liquour stores popping up in Victoria and they do have cheaper prices than the government ones. Unfortunatey they are few and far between.

Living in AZ for about 5 months a year I go into sticker shock when I go into a BC Liquor store when I first return home. For what I pay for three 1.14 liter bottles of spirits up here I can buy a case of 1.75 liter bottles in AZ when it goes on sale and wine is more than double what I am used of paying in AZ. I would suggest that you bring your duty free allotment with you which is 40 oz of spirits or 1.75 lt of wine for each person over the age of 19 (in BC). While we do have a few private liquor stores in BC for the most part their prices tend to be higher than the Gov't stores except for a few loss leader type specials.

Several years ago my hubby and I drove up to Niagara Falls. I remember we went to a "beer store" and had to stand in a long line and pay a fortune to boot, in addition to very high taxes. The locals were all telling us how lucky we were in the U.S.! I forget about that til now.

Several years ago my hubby and I drove up to Niagara Falls. I remember we went to a "beer store" and had to stand in a long line and pay a fortune to boot, in addition to very high taxes. The locals were all telling us how lucky we were in the U.S.! I forget about that til now.

yah, but its better beer eh!

We are sailing Quebec to Fort Lauderdale in October.

Roughly what would I pay for a litre bottle of Bacardi white rum in Quebec, or the ports on the way south?

Thanks.

Archived