CB Vibrations/Movement - Myth or reality?

TMJBR

We were on the CB a few years ago and I honestly do not remember the shaking people are talking about? We had a great cruise and I think I would have noticed it, I get really sea sick. I took my Ginger travel pills and I was fine. We are going on the Emerald in October and can't wait.

Enjoy your cruise the CB has been our favorite ship so far!

Is the CB really that bad with the movement and vibrations, or am I just reading a lot of exaggeration or inexperience? :confused:

I just got off CB on 5/17. I didn't find that the ship moved any more or less than any other ship I've been on. I think that people have varying tolerances for movement, however. A woman that we met complained that the ship rocked and rolled more than any she'd ever seen. We were completely puzzled, as we never felt anything more than a gentle sway.

I did notice a vibration in the rear of the ship, but again not any worse than on Crown, Mariner, or Sovereign. Just typical engine vibration.

we were in an aft cabin last july and it never felt any more rocky than any other cruise we had been on. we also had an engine and stabilizer problem last year and we never noticed a difference. cant wait for our cruise on the CB this july!

We were on the CB in December and another couple was complaining about the vibration, but we didn't think it was anything we hadn't felt on other ships and nothing that bothered us. We really enjoyed the ship.:)

Just off the CB in April 09. This was the smooooooothest cruise we've ever had. I guess sea conditions were good. We were in the Southern Caribbean. Our cabin was mid-ship (towards the aft) and I was pleasantly surprised at how smooth the whole trip was. I did notice vibration in the very back of the ship (aft pool), but this is normal for all ships. Go and enjoy and don't worry about it! We've been on some rather rocky trips. I really think weather and seas has more to do with it than anything else.

Just off the CB this past week. The ships moves. We did not get sick or anything, but the ship is in a constant sway. Sometimes worse then others. We experienced some of the most calm water I have ever seen and the ship still moves constantly. If you aren't used to it then it might bother you, but otherwise it is ok. However don't listen to reports that say the boat doesn't move.

Mostly myth. There are many things that affect movement, including wind speed and direction, wave height and direction, currents, etc. so even comparing two identical ships is extremely difficult as there are so many variables. When a ship approaches port and docks, or when leaving port, it uses the thrusters which can can cause vibration. Also, if the stabilizers are being used there can be vibration. Again, with both the thrusters and stabilizers, there are variables such as water depth, waves, currents, etc. which can affect vibration. And, of course, the more ports on your cruise, the more vibration you'll feel. Many people mis-interpret what the vibration is or why there is vibration which is why myths are born.

The only thing I noticed on the CB last year was when they used the thrusters at the pier. Then we had an annoying vibration noise, like something was loose on a balcony railing or something. You can hear it in this short video I took leaving Port Everglades. As for being underway, sure, we had movement. We had lots of wind that made us late getting to St Maarten, and there is always a cross current that moves you around when you are near the Bahamas. There isn't anything different about the CB that would make it more susceptible to movement than the Crown, Emerald or Ruby.

Is the CB really that bad with the movement and vibrations, or am I just reading a lot of exaggeration or inexperience? :confused:

Pam is right on with hrt answer. This is our 4th time on teh CB and never has it been what we would call out of the ordinary rolling. As for vibrations, the only time we have ever noticed vibrations was when at the stern of the ship WHILE THEY ARE USING THRUSTERS, We did have some pretty good vibrations as we were eating dinner in Cafe Caribre Monday as we pushed ofj from the dock leaving St Thomas. But no different than what we felt in March on the new Ruby Princess.

I was on the CB for the May 10-17th sailing and I definitely felt the ship swaying especially the first night when we left San Juan and a couple of nights after that. I was mid ship on the Dolphin deck. I felt fine during the whole trip, but I took Bonine every morning. I sailed Rccl Explorer of the Sea to the southern caribbean and you couldn't tell you were on a ship. I also sailed several times on Voyager of the Sea and again hardly any movement at all. I was very surprised with such calm sea conditions and the size of the ship that it had so much movement.

Movement is percieved differently by everyone.

Its a ship its in water and it moves differently every mile it travels.

We have sailed on many Grand class ships and to me they all ride the same.

IMO some of the details are exaggerated. But like I said thats MO.

I was very surprised with such calm sea conditions and the size of the ship that it had so much movement.
What were the winds like for each of the ships? Which direction? What were the speed and direction of the currents for each ship? What was each ship's speed that you are comparing? Each of these affect movement and are often not visible.

I was on the CB for the May 10-17th sailing and I definitely felt the ship swaying especially the first night when we left San Juan and a couple of nights after that. I was mid ship on the Dolphin deck. I felt fine during the whole trip, but I took Bonine every morning. I sailed Rccl Explorer of the Sea to the southern caribbean and you couldn't tell you were on a ship. I also sailed several times on Voyager of the Sea and again hardly any movement at all. I was very surprised with such calm sea conditions and the size of the ship that it had so much movement.

I was on this voyage as well. The seas on that first day approached 4-5 feet, as it was quite windy when we left San Juan, and throughout our first sea day.

The "Log of the Cruise" lists winds from the east, force 7. On the Beaufort Scale, Force 7 is called "High wind, Moderate gale, Near gale" and equates to wind speeds of up to 38 miles per hour, which is pretty windy.

The wind was an east wind, so it would have been hitting us pretty much broadside as we traveled south. If you felt uncomfortable movement, it may have been as much from the wind buffeting the ship as from wave motion.

Even so, as I mentioned earlier, our cabin was forward on deck 12, and we didn't notice anything unusual about the movement of the ship as compared to any other ships we've been on, so I guess sensitivity to movement really is subjective.

I like it when the ship has some movement. Even when you are inside the ship it's a nice reminder that you are out at sea.
I do too. :) The more movement, the better I sleep. I'd much rather have a reminder that I'm on a ship and not a moving Marriott.

When we were on the CB in April, we experienced a lot of side to side lateral movement. It was not bad at all. Much better than swaying, which I never felt on the CB.

This is what it was like:

http://www.loraj.com/cbmoves.mov

There was one day that was more violent than that, but otherwise, that's all it was.

We were on the Riviera deck.

Archived