Netbook for Photo Backup

Posted by s2k000L

"For the upcoming cruise, I will be taking the following electronic devices:

- Acer Aspire One with 6-cell and 9-cell batteries and charger

- Nikon DSLR with two batteries and three lenses

- MiniUSB Charger and Motorola P790 battery charger (neat device)

- Blackberry device, two batteries, and BB desktop charger

- MicroSoft Wireless mouse 8000 presenter

- iPOD Touch w/travel charger

- Targus 4-in-1 travel power strip

- Bose QC2 noise-cancelling headphones (a must for road warriors) "

At what point in the cruise do you begin to glow in the dark?

That sounds like a 35lb carryon on more if you are taking some 2.8 lenses, ouch :eek:

That sounds like a 35lb carryon on more if you are taking some 2.8 lenses, ouch :eek:

On the contrary, not even close! I just had the opportunity to weigh my bag with most of the gear, and it came to less than half of that! I will be splitting up some of the gear into two carry-ons--one back pack, one wheelie. My two lenses are small--35mm f/1.8 and 18-200 VR. I was going to bring a couple of other zooms and 2.8, but decided this trip wasn't a photo shoot, but an actual VACATION. Funny, this is how I typically travel, except I usually carry two laptops--one for work, one for play. :p

I also split my stuff. The computer and all my electronics goes into a small daypack. I put different stuff in differently colored small nylon bags that I buy at outdoor stores so that different stuff is separated.

I carry my G9 in a pocket in my vest so it is always with me.

My D70 with the 17-200 VR (I think that I have the focal lengths right), my Tamron super wide angle, an external strobe, and all my camera accessories just fits in a smallish camera bag. This makes it easy for me to stow stuff in overhead and also leave stuff behind in hotel rooms.

If I felt that I could trust TSA and the baggage people, I would put my wires and such in my suitcase but I do not dare.

DON

Going back to the original topic....

Yes, that's the beauty of these netbooks: I'm not a gamer, and I'm not a computer graphics designer. I don't do CAD drawings, and I don't run sophisticated software that needs the fastest processor and most amount of RAM. So, for most avid photographers, the need for a computer to do (some) post-processing and the convenient emailing, there's no surprise that this segment is a hit in the market! My AAO even with two batteries is still lighter than most 'regular' notebooks, not to mention the obscene amount of battery life. Heck, a few years ago I would watch one DVD on my IBM laptop on a plane, then DEAD. Now, I simply convert all my DVD's to MP4 format, put them on my iPOD, BlackBerry, and now Acer, and I'm a happy camper :D

Now, I simply convert all my DVD's to MP4 format, put them on my iPOD, BlackBerry, and now Acer, and I'm a happy camper :D

What software do you use, and do you have a link? What is the quality like? I was just thinking of loading 5 or 6 movies and than of course can delete and add different ones for the next trip.

What software do you use, and do you have a link? What is the quality like? I was just thinking of loading 5 or 6 movies and than of course can delete and add different ones for the next trip.

Here's what I use for iPOD and BlackBerry: http://www.pqdvd.com/articles/dvd-to-ipod-conversion.html

They have programs to convert to MP4, WMV, and AVI. Works great with the iPOD and BlackBerry. You can control the audio and video levels--obviously better quality means larger files. I've got them to the point where one average movie is around 500-600MB each. I've found that on the netbook, the quality is not so good, as these were optimized to be viewed on a small screen, so please be aware of the quality. On a handheld, you can put like a bazillion movies on the 160GB hard drive!

So, on my 8GB iPOD Touch or my 8GB microSD card in BB, I've got about 10 movies each, with room to spare for MP3's and JPEG's.

I use DVD Catalyst to convert DVDs to mp4 files in one step. It comes with multiple profiles that are preset for the device you are going to watch the video on so you don't have to mess around with the quality settings unless you want to.

Since I want to view the movies on either my iPod touch or my ASUS 1000HE, I had to do some experimentation to find a resolution that looked good on both devices and produced a reasonable file size.

There are some free options out there such as Vidoera iPod Convertor and Handbrake that will do the same thing, but you may have to go through the extra step of ripping the DVD to your hard drive. It all depends on the type of copy protection used on the DVD.

I use DVD Catalyst to convert DVDs to mp4 files in one step. It comes with multiple profiles that are preset for the device you are going to watch the video on so you don't have to mess around with the quality settings unless you want to.

Since I want to view the movies on either my iPod touch or my ASUS 1000HE, I had to do some experimentation to find a resolution that looked good on both devices and produced a reasonable file size.

There are some free options out there such as Vidoera iPod Convertor and Handbrake that will do the same thing, but you may have to go through the extra step of ripping the DVD to your hard drive. It all depends on the type of copy protection used on the DVD.

Thanks, but don't you have to put the movie on your main computer hard drive anyway since the Netbook does not have a DVD drive? What resolution looks Ok on the Asus as I would guess size wise it would work on the Acer? Again, both about 10" screens.

Thanks, but don't you have to put the movie on your main computer hard drive anyway since the Netbook does not have a DVD drive? What resolution looks Ok on the Asus as I would guess size wise it would work on the Acer? Again, both about 10" screens.

Yes, I do the conversions on my desktop PC and then transfer them to the Netbook with a thumb drive or over my network. DVD Catalyst can do the conversion reading directly off of my DVD while the other programs may require that you rip the DVD contents to your hard drive, removing the copy protection.

I'm using a resolution of 720 x 480 for my 10" ASUS as this seems to work well for both devices (the Netbook and iPod Touch). The profile for the ASUS 10" actually suggests 1024 x 600, which is its native screen resolution. I may experiment a little more to see how that resolution works.

I converted a movie into a mp4 format and put it on my iPod, no problem. Then I put the mp4 movie on my Acer Netbook and it won't play it. Do I need a special program to play mp4 files on my Netbook. I do have Windows Media player but I guess that doesn't work.

I converted a movie into a mp4 format and put it on my iPod, no problem. Then I put the mp4 movie on my Acer Netbook and it won't play it. Do I need a special program to play mp4 files on my Netbook. I do have Windows Media player but I guess that doesn't work.

iTunes or the QuickTime player should work.

I don't have QuickTime on my Netbook. Have you heard of VLC. My son says to use that.

Looks like you can find VLC Media player here

I haven't used this program (yet) and looks like there's some decent reviews for it. I've simply used QuickTime, as that's also free and easy to use. I didn't put iTunes on my netbook either, as I try to keep the Acer clutter-free of bloated software/programs ;)

I don't have QuickTime on my Netbook. Have you heard of VLC. My son says to use that.

I've used VLC in the past and it does a good job playing avi files that Windows Media Player can't. I haven't used it for .mp4 files, but I see that they are supported. I think that VLC would be a good choice on a Netbook.

Well, I had to pull the trigger (again) on another Acer Aspire One. My other Dell Dimension desktop computer won't power up/down properly, and I have this major fear of losing all my entire iTUNES library, MP3's, and pictures already stored on the internal hard drive (this happened to me already). So, picked up one of the newer AOD250's as Jade13 did in White. Also ordered a new WD 1TB external HD for additional storage--heck I already backup all my pics in two other places ;)

Because of the slimmer/lighter weight, I'll probably leave my Arctic Blue model here at home and take the newer more svelte unit on the cruise. Of course, the weight reduction is negated when using the 9-cell battery :p

Well, I had to pull the trigger (again) on another Acer Aspire One. My other Dell Dimension desktop computer won't power up/down properly, and I have this major fear of losing all my entire iTUNES library, MP3's, and pictures already stored on the internal hard drive (this happened to me already). So, picked up one of the newer AOD250's as Jade13 did in White. Also ordered a new WD 1TB external HD for additional storage--heck I already backup all my pics in two other places ;)

Because of the slimmer/lighter weight, I'll probably leave my Arctic Blue model here at home and take the newer more svelte unit on the cruise. Of course, the weight reduction is negated when using the 9-cell battery :p

Wow, you don't waste any time. Do you have the Netbook yet? I ordered one on-line which shipped yesterday. I also just bought 2 WD 1TB external hard drives on which I started backing up files a couple of weeks ago.

Now I need a list of exactly what software I should load on this Netbook besides the Photoshop Elements 7 that I just ordered. VLC Media player sounds good and pqdvd. I have avi files from the little videos from my FujiFilm camera. Someone said MacAfee was too draining on the Netbook (I am just getting the 1 GB RAM as adding more would really negate the low price and I don't know that I have a problem yet) so what other anti-virus program is recommended. I think I will just use a google email for travel and was thinking of using Firefox to get on the Net and need some type of word program with spell check. I need to find all of these links to download.

Wow, you don't waste any time. Do you have the Netbook yet? I ordered one on-line which shipped yesterday. I also just bought 2 WD 1TB external hard drives on which I started backing up files a couple of weeks ago. Now I need a list of exactly what software I should load on this Netbook besides the Photoshop Elements 7 that I just ordered.

Yep, I'm pretty impulsive. That's why Amazon.com is like crack cocaine (for me)--instant gratification--usually in two days. I literally just ordered the netbook and extra hard drive a couple of hours ago, so I the earliest it'll arrive will be Thursday.

As for software, here's what I am going to load onto the new Aspire One:

- Capture NX (Nikon's photo editing tool)

- BlackBerry Desktop Redirector

- VZW Access Manager (used to tether phone with laptop)

- QuickTime to watch MP4 movies

- Photomatix for HDR Photography

- Mozilla Firefox Browser (can't stand IE)

so what other anti-virus program is recommended. I think I will just use a google email for travel and was thinking of using Firefox to get on the Net and need some type of word program with spell check. I need to find all of these links to download.

I use AVG, it is a free download. I also use gmail and Firefox.

I have a D-link wireless router and no idea if it is working. It is 802.11g/2.4Gh2. Does anyone know where I can find the directions or tell if it is working? Someone had set it up for me 3 or 4 years ago but I never used it and am using Comcast Cable. The lights are blinking so it is plugged into something. I am going to have a problem if I can't test the Netbook with internet prior to going on vacation. Any suggestions would be helpful.

I have a D-link wireless router and no idea if it is working. It is 802.11g/2.4Gh2. Does anyone know where I can find the directions or tell if it is working? Someone had set it up for me 3 or 4 years ago but I never used it and am using Comcast Cable. The lights are blinking so it is plugged into something. I am going to have a problem if I can't test the Netbook with internet prior to going on vacation. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Best way is to try and connect to it with your Netbook's wireless interface. I'm not sure which operating system you are using, but you will want to find the utility that lists the wireless networks which are in range.

In Windows XP, it would be in the Control Panel > Network Connections. There should be a connection listed there named Wireless Network Connection. Right-click on that connection and select the "View Available Wireless Networks" command. If you see your network listed, just double-click on it to connect. The person who set it up for you should have given you the name of the network and the password if one was configured.

If you don't have access to the username/password, I would go to the manufacturer's website to find the instruction manual, or you may have a setup CD that came with the unit. Most home routers I have worked with have a reset button that you can use to restore the router back to its factory settings.

Good luck in getting everything setup before your vacation.

Best way is to try and connect to it with your Netbook's wireless interface. I'm not sure which operating system you are using, but you will want to find the utility that lists the wireless networks which are in range.

In Windows XP, it would be in the Control Panel > Network Connections. There should be a connection listed there named Wireless Network Connection. Right-click on that connection and select the "View Available Wireless Networks" command. If you see your network listed, just double-click on it to connect. The person who set it up for you should have given you the name of the network and the password if one was configured.

If you don't have access to the username/password, I would go to the manufacturer's website to find the instruction manual, or you may have a setup CD that came with the unit. Most home routers I have worked with have a reset button that you can use to restore the router back to its factory settings.

Good luck in getting everything setup before your vacation.

So are you saying the interface is already part of the Acer Aspire One so I don't need this router? I bought the router to use a work computer at home but never did so (so far). The computer at home is a Dell Dimension E310 from 3 or 4 years ago. The Acer comes with XP installed and nothing else.

So are you saying the interface is already part of the Acer Aspire One so I don't need this router? I bought the router to use a work computer at home but never did so (so far). The computer at home is a Dell Dimension E310 from 3 or 4 years ago. The Acer comes with XP installed and nothing else.

You actually need both. The router enables you to connect multiple devices to your internet connection either with a direct wired connection, or via a wireless interface. Without it, you would only be able to have one computer connected to the internet at a time. I'm assuming that your router has wireless capabilities since most home routers sold the last few years have that feature built-in.

Your Acer has a built in wireless network interface that can then connect to a wireless network. Since Windows XP has wireless networking built-in, it should just be a matter of configuring Windows to connect to your router as I discussed in my last post. The only complication is of your router was configured with security enabled which would require you to enter a username and password in order to connect.

I'd suggest getting in touch with the person who installed your router as they would be able to provide more specific instructions.

I'd suggest getting in touch with the person who installed your router as they would be able to provide more specific instructions.

I did and they told me to find directions on how to install it.

Simple explain first:

Modem is a tool to make signal from your cable line to talk to your computer and be able to sent and recieved information. Mostly have one single line out to your computer.

Router (wire/wireless) is a tool to make a single line from modem to 4 lines which indentifies by number 1...2...3...4. and upto 22 wireless periperals (if you router equipped Antenna), Which Now you and whole family can surf the net at the same time or sometime is your neighbor also can surf the internet if your router doesn't have password to protect it. As you can see when you go to public place like coffee house, library, school etc.

you need to get a password to log in to be able to use the internet.

It's call "Secured Wireless" or "Unsecured Wireless"

Before you do anything, just get a notebook and set it down next to your

router and see any wireless which come with a strongest signal, which might be your router parimeter, Is it "secured" or Unsecured" if it unsecured then you should be able to connect it without any problem, if it secured then need to get the easy setup manual and find the "wireless" set up section and change the password and write it down but do not RESET anything cause your Cable computer might have account password which you need to set those up to your router too. So you only need to work on wireless part of your router manual only.

Hope this is a simple explanation to you.

Archived