Netbook for Photo Backup

I have a D-link wireless router and no idea if it is working. It is 802.11g/2.4Gh2. Does anyone know where I can find the directions or tell if it is working? Someone had set it up for me 3 or 4 years ago but I never used it and am using Comcast Cable. The lights are blinking so it is plugged into something. I am going to have a problem if I can't test the Netbook with internet prior to going on vacation. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Is the cable going from the wall into a modem and then from the modem into the router?

Is the computer / laptop you are using connected to the router?

If all the above and you have internet then its working as a router.

Is your d-link a combo router and wireless port. These will have one or two antennas on the back it is also a wireless basestation.

Once you get the netbook/notebook it will be compatible with all 802.11x wireless protocals from the earliest to the latest g. The only question is the one others already asked and you don't know is whether its secure or not.

Most routers/wireless base stations come setup for unsecured transmitting. This means you and all your neighbors or a guy sitting in a car in front of your house could/has been using your internet if they had liked.

Likely you don't need to do anything if you have a wireless base station to use the new laptop. As others have said simply power up the laptop and select the signal that is strongest. That is likely your wireless. You'll likely find a few other. In my neighborhood I can see 5 wireless of which 2 or wide open. Not a good idea at all in this day and age.

You can access your router by opening up your browser and typing in the address either of these two ip address; 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 One of these two will allow you to log in and change the settings of the router if it isn't password protected.

Good luck

I did and they told me to find directions on how to install it.

Buy a new router.

They are cheap and will come with faster/better wireless capability compared to your old unit. It will also come with instructions and a 1-800 number to call for help.

Bodger

Buy a new router.

They are cheap and will come with faster/better wireless capability compared to your old unit. It will also come with instructions and a 1-800 number to call for help.

Bodger

I might end up doing that, but will see what happens this weekend. My Netbook arrived today but I have to be at a meeting tomorrow am so will have to wait until this weekend. My stepson said he used ours a couple of years ago and got great connections and no passcode needed so it might be working.

Is the cable going from the wall into a modem and then from the modem into the router?

Is the computer / laptop you are using connected to the router?

If all the above and you have internet then its working as a router.

Is your d-link a combo router and wireless port. These will have one or two antennas on the back it is also a wireless basestation.

Once you get the netbook/notebook it will be compatible with all 802.11x wireless protocals from the earliest to the latest g. The only question is the one others already asked and you don't know is whether its secure or not.

Most routers/wireless base stations come setup for unsecured transmitting. This means you and all your neighbors or a guy sitting in a car in front of your house could/has been using your internet if they had liked.

Likely you don't need to do anything if you have a wireless base station to use the new laptop. As others have said simply power up the laptop and select the signal that is strongest. That is likely your wireless. You'll likely find a few other. In my neighborhood I can see 5 wireless of which 2 or wide open. Not a good idea at all in this day and age.

You can access your router by opening up your browser and typing in the address either of these two ip address; 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 One of these two will allow you to log in and change the settings of the router if it isn't password protected.

Good luck

It has one antenna. Where did you get the two ip addresses?

I might end up doing that, but will see what happens this weekend. My Netbook arrived today but I have to be at a meeting tomorrow am so will have to wait until this weekend. My stepson said he used ours a couple of years ago and got great connections and no passcode needed so it might be working.

Jade13, that's funny, cuz my new Acer Aspire One just came today as well. I've been feverishly trying to load all the necessary software, and have run into a snafu with the Verizon Wireless VZAccess Manager program. I've learned that after wasting 1.5 hours on trying to make it work, it's time to shut it down, and have a couple of glasses of wine. Live another day to fight more computer battles tomorrow!

Hope you're enjoying the new toy! I'll make sure to try and take a couple of pics for comparison of old v. new AAO.

-andrew

It has one antenna. Where did you get the two ip addresses?

The IP address are the two most common one used by dlink, netgear and linksys routers. They have nothing to do with whether your wireless base station has one or two antennas.

The IP address are the two most common one used by dlink, netgear and linksys routers. They have nothing to do with whether your wireless base station has one or two antennas.

You really are a computer "Chip" Master. I assume it has something to do with your username/handle.

Jade13, that's funny, cuz my new Acer Aspire One just came today as well. I've been feverishly trying to load all the necessary software, and have run into a snafu with the Verizon Wireless VZAccess Manager program. I've learned that after wasting 1.5 hours on trying to make it work, it's time to shut it down, and have a couple of glasses of wine. Live another day to fight more computer battles tomorrow!

Hope you're enjoying the new toy! I'll make sure to try and take a couple of pics for comparison of old v. new AAO.

-andrew

I'll be working on mine tomorrow. We have Comcast cable at my home. No Verizon Fios yet in my area. I am interested in the weight difference on the model I almost bought vs newest 250?

Is VZ Access Manager an employee program or one used by anyone who uses Verizon?

I'll be working on mine tomorrow. We have Comcast cable at my home. No Verizon Fios yet in my area. I am interested in the weight difference on the model I almost bought vs newest 250?

Is VZ Access Manager an employee program or one used by anyone who uses Verizon?

My morning/early afternoon meetings will interfere with my play time on the AAO, so must be patient!

VZW Access Manager is a program that allows Verizon Wireless users to 'tether' or connect their mobile device to their computers to act as a modem for high speed access. I too have Comcast Internet at home, and have absolutely nothing bad to say about cable (that's pretty big coming from a former die-hard fan of satellite).

After comparing the two last night, the newer version is obviously slimmer and lighter than earlier generation. Would I have missed it did I not have something to compare it to? No. I would have been just as happy with the earlier version, as the screen and performance are equivalent. The newer one is just more sleek. Also, I am a bit disappointed to receive the 4400mAh battery, as I was hoping for the higher capacity. Nonetheless, I've still got the whopping 9-cell 7800mAh battery as the backup!

My morning/early afternoon meetings will interfere with my play time on the AAO, so must be patient!

VZW Access Manager is a program that allows Verizon Wireless users to 'tether' or connect their mobile device to their computers to act as a modem for high speed access. I too have Comcast Internet at home, and have absolutely nothing bad to say about cable (that's pretty big coming from a former die-hard fan of satellite).

After comparing the two last night, the newer version is obviously slimmer and lighter than earlier generation. Would I have missed it did I not have something to compare it to? No. I would have been just as happy with the earlier version, as the screen and performance are equivalent. The newer one is just more sleek. Also, I am a bit disappointed to receive the 4400mAh battery, as I was hoping for the higher capacity. Nonetheless, I've still got the whopping 9-cell 7800mAh battery as the backup!

Any idea what model Neoprene sleeve (and link) or other will work best with this slim Acer One Netbook?

I bought a Targus Netbook City Bag which I like and will be great for around town or two day trips to visit family, but need something lighter for the upcoming cruise. My DH knows he will have to place this in his backpack as I've got the camera Equipment in my slingback.

Any idea what model Neoprene sleeve (and link) or other will work best with this slim Acer One Netbook?

I bought a Targus Netbook City Bag which I like and will be great for around town or two day trips to visit family, but need something lighter for the upcoming cruise. My DH knows he will have to place this in his backpack as I've got the camera Equipment in my slingback.

Yep...here's the one I have http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14660~r.53733725.

No where close to the shipping times as Amazon Prime, but if you can wait, it's well worth the $5USD!

Here are a couple of quick pics (Newer AOD250 on Left; Older AOD150 on Right):

AOD250Comparison1.jpg

Just in case anyone was wondering HOW BIG the 9-cell battery is, or how it looks, here you go:

AcerAspireOneAOD250w9CellBattery.jpg

It's a big honker of a battery. But considering it should run for over 7-8 hours, not a bad compromise (especially on a 12 hour flight across the continent and into Europe)

IMG%5D

You really are a computer "Chip" Master. I assume it has something to do with your username/handle.

;) Lets just say I remember when we were trying to squeeze the 486 and 33 MegHz all the way to today's Core2 Duo at > 2 GigHz

What does it weight with the battery?

DON

Surprisingly, the scale reads 3.0lbs 0.6oz or 1.38kg. That's pretty darn good for something that will truly last all day and into the night!

;) Lets just say I remember when we were trying to squeeze the 486 and 33 MegHz all the way to today's Core2 Duo at > 2 GigHz

My first 486/33 was such a step up from my first 386SX/16.

My Blackberry phone has 16x the RAM and 200x the storage of that old clunker!

Funny though... I can't type any faster of the new quad-core Q6600 machine that I could on the old one!

Dave

My first 486/33 was such a step up from my first 386SX/16.

My Blackberry phone has 16x the RAM and 200x the storage of that old clunker!

Funny though... I can't type any faster of the new quad-core Q6600 machine that I could on the old one!

Dave

But your computer can sure do a lot more! We think nothing of pictures that are 7Meg nor HDD that are 1Terabyte or more.

We can run photoshop now on machines that cost 500 bucks, and can carry laptops around that have more CPU power then mainframe from the 80's.

Not bad, its the greatest technology revolution of mainkind :D

For those still on a quest for the latest and greatest....

I just stopped by my local Costco Warehouse, and they've got newest Acer Aspire One AO751 11.6" Netbook, which is in line with the latest version of the 10.1" AOD250. Although still not as fast as the Asus EeePC 1008HA, it's still only $349.99, and only has the 3-cell battery. This form factor is very comfortable, as it has a full size keyboard. It reminds me of the HP MiniNote versions.

Take a look if you're still in the market for a new netbook!

Help - I can't set up my Netbook because I can't figure out how to set up the router. I have a D-Link 802.11g/2.4GHz. It was plugged into the printer and we just pulled it out to try to plug into the modem but DH (He does not know how to use a computer) says there is no place for another wire as the blue wire from the modem goes into our computer.

The modem is a D-link DCM-202 which is attached to a white cable.

The Netbook did not come with a USB or I assume I could plug it into my computer to download stuff?

Help - I can't set up my Netbook because I can't figure out how to set up the router. I have a D-Link 802.11g/2.4GHz. It been plugged into something but i have never used it in 3 or 4 years. My stepson says he used it a couple of years ago...

It was plugged into the printer and we just pulled it out to try to plug into the modem but DH (He does not know how to use a computer) says there is no place for another wire as the blue wire from the modem goes into our computer.

The modem is a D-link DCM-202 which is attached to a white cable.

The Netbook did not come with a USB or I assume I could plug it into my computer to download stuff?

We think the issue is that there is only one spot on the modem and it's hooked into the computer so no place to plug into the router. Btw, my printer still works so no idea why the modem was plugged into it.

deck.png

just a little confuse here, in the back of your modem D-Link DCM-202 you should have a RJ-5 cable (look like telephone cord but wider )(doesn't matter what color is it) from "10/100Mbps Fast Eternet" Port go directly to another D-Link 802.11g/2.4GHz which mark as "WAN" port then you should run another RJ-5 from port 1..2..3..4 to your computer instead..Now you can run 4 computer at the same time with RJ-5 cable plus upto 22 wireless peripherals.

deck.png

just a little confuse here, in the back of your modem D-Link DCM-202 you should have a RJ-5 cable (look like telephone cord but wider )(doesn't matter what color is it) from "10/100Mbps Fast Eternet" Port go directly to another D-Link 802.11g/2.4GHz which mark as "WAN" port then you should run another RJ-5 from port 1..2..3..4 to your computer instead..Now you can run 4 computer at the same time with RJ-5 cable plus upto 22 wireless peripherals.

Thanks. I am going to take a look at this when I get home from work. Someone is available to stop by to try to help me but not until as late as Friday evening. This computer person does not use wireless and tried to originally set this up a few years ago. Part of the problem is also that I found the disks with directions and it shows a cord from my main computer to the router and then one from the modem to router (not cable from "wall" to modem to router). I'd like to leave the main computer hooked into the wall (not wireless) especially since I don't want it going down while we are on vacation and trying to get in touch with a teenager that is staying home with adult sibling. I am hoping to use the wireless for both my new Netbook and also work Notebok.

So are you saying I need a couple of RJ-5 cables? This should be something I can find at Best Buy?

So are you saying I need a couple of RJ-5 cables? This should be something I can find at Best Buy?

Doesn't need to buy from "Worst Buy" , if you have a Dollar Store, 99cents store or even thrift store near you, will be a lot cheaper.

Doesn't need to buy from "Worst Buy" , if you have a Dollar Store, 99cents store or even thrift store near you, will be a lot cheaper.

That is too funny. Btw, they did match B&H's price last year on a Nikon. My DH bought it as a gift and the were afraid I was going to return it so gave him the credit. They also traded my Nikon 55mm-200mm lens for one with VR. I guess I just ran into the right Manager that day. He said he would accept any reasonable offer.

Archived