Rome to Civitavecchia Transfer

Hi!

We are embarking in Civitavecchia and I have been looking in to one way transfers from Rome. I am currently being quoted 140-180Euros by the limo services found on these boards for a one-way transfer for four people. Does this sound right? Any other suggestions?

Has anyone taken the train? is it reliable? How about with luggage? We will each have a wheeled bag and a backpack....all suggestions are welcome.

We took the train, and it's wonderful. If I remember correctly, a round-trip ticket is 9 Euros. Trains are frequent, but operate on a reduced schedule on the weekend. The station in Civitaveccia is about a 10-minute walk from the port. You could catch a cab to the train station if they're waiting there. You'll need to schlep your luggage, but the cost savings is substantial. There are several stops in Rome before you get to the central station, so if you know where your hotel is you might do well to get off nearby. Otherwise, go on to the central station and catch a bus or cab to your hotel.

When we docked in Civitaveccia last year there were no taxis around at all. We had arranged with a limo to pick us up and take us to the airport. We were so thankful for this as the station is a fair walk and with our luggage it would have taken us forever.

The cost last year for the trip to the airport in a Mercedes with just my husband and self was $120US. It was well worth it. At home we always catch a limo to the airport when we depart on a journey so the money spent on the limo is all part of our holiday expenses. To us the most expensive part of the holiday is our airfare to Europe and anything else is irrelevant.

Jennie

If you desire stress-free door-to-door service, then, like others said, the limo is the best option, and that is the going rate. However, I always take the train whenever I'm in Italy, wherever possible. The trains are reliable and comfortable, and can be a great way to help me stay within my budget.

Since you'll have only one wheeled bag and one backpack each, if you're okay with a little schlepping, and want to save money, the train is a fine choice.

LeeAnne

Hi Vacationhappy,

There is a lot of information here on taking the train from Rome to the port. DH and I are doing that. If you go back to postings around September or do a search you'll find posts with train costs, etc.

There is train information at http://www.trenitalia.com. YOU'll need to go to the Termini station and catch a train to the port. From all I've read it is very easy. Good luck.

Oh, we took our kids all over Italy on the trains! They say that this is one of their favorite memories of visiting Italy -- all the train travel. They might not remember anything from the bazillion museums we visted (except maybe the David, because he was so BIG!), but they do remember how we got around. Of course, we live in an area where there's not much opportunity to be on a train -- no subways or anything like that -- so they definitely saw it as an adventure. :)

LeeAnne

Just a note of caution if you are considering walking to the ship in Civitavecchia. The walk to the port gates is an easy 10 minutes. Out of the train station, face the sea and turn right, follow the promenade along wide sidewalks to the port gates - easy to see (adjacent to the fort/castle).

The problem could be: where your ship docks. In the summer of 2003 we were on the Norwegian Crown Odyssey and it docked at a pier to the left of the fort about a further 5-10 minute walk. This year on QE2 we docked a good five minute coach ride around the far side of the port. down roads that didn't look too pedestrian friendly. In fact when the Cunard provided shuttle bus driver decided to take his break we chose to wait rather than walk to the ship.

We have seen taxis at Civitavecchia train station on both our return journeys to the ships. In fact walking along the seafront is a very pleasent experience after a day in Rome and you know that the ship is walkable and you are on time. Having said that I know that I would be a little on edge if I was there for the first time and I wasn't exactly sure of the ships pier location.

So based upon the near pier yes it would be walkable with rolling luggage. The far pier, for me, would be a taxi.

Catandave is correct in that we also docked at a far pier when we were there in 2003, hence I was pleased we had booked the limo as there was no way we would have been able to wheel our heavy luggage to the station.

Perhaps if you were near the entrance to the docks that is a different matter, but I would strongly recommend taking a taxi from the station to the ship.

Jennie

Just got home from Rome last Friday night, and my husband and I had one wheeled carry-on each, and I had a purse, and he had a small bag on top of his suitcase. We took the express train from Leonardo da Vinci airport to Rome (Termini - the equivalent of Grand Central Station) for 9 euros each person, each way. From Termini there are frequent trains to Civitavecchia (as well as either of the two metro lines in Rome, and many other places). We found that it was perfectly do-able for us. When our kids reach 9 - 10 years we expect that we will feel comfortable doing public transportation with them (as long as we take the necessary precautions aganinst loss of our children and possessions during the busy tourist times). Can't answer about the distance walking from the station in Civitavecchia to the pier, though. I'd consider a cab. Might be worth it???? I think that you get a better flavor for regions by taking public transport whenever possible, and walking too rather then getting in a hired car whether a cab or limo or whatever.

Hi David Uk

We will be on the same cruise as you but will be getting to the ship from Rome by ship so unfortunately can't help.

We have a thread on the Roll Call board and would be pleased if you could join us there.One day I'll learn how to paste a hyperlink !!

Although my last post was written on New Year's Eve before any booze had been consumed, it seems my brain had already switched to party mode (LOL).

I should, of course, have said that we would be doing the transfer '' by train''.

Happy New Year to all

Hello: I will be taking a cruise in early june with my 3 teenage kids and wanted to know how Vacationhappy (or anyone else that had made this trek) made out with taking the train to the port from Rome. Also if anyone can tell me the exact name and locations of the trains (terminal) we would need to catch to Civitavecchia I would really appreciate any help.

We will also require accomodations while there but was blind sided by the cost, for 4 it is HUGE. Would anyone have any info on reasonable places to stay that would be relatively close to the route to get to the port?

Thanks in advance. Eve

I have just booked the Hotel Lancelot, very near the Colosseum and a short cab ride from the main Termini station.Their website is http://www.lancelothotel.com and they seem very efficient.They are highly rated on tripadvisor and been praised on these boards.We are paying 158 Euros per night B&B for each of 2 doubles, although a quad room (which I understand is quite small) was available for 200 Euros per night. In Rome these prices are reasonable for a 3* hotel.The two room suite was of real interest to us but it was sadly unavailable.

The train goes from the main Termini station direct to the port and is a very frequent service. This will definitely be our means of transport.

• 2 weeks later...

Our plane was due to leave at 12.30pm. Our limo arrived at 8.30am. It should take about an hour and a quarter but we were involved in a traffic delay and finally arrived at the airport around 10.15am. We checked in and then we stood in the line to get our VAT back. If you have bought goods at a shop in EUR for more than a certain amount, you are entitled to a refund. As this was our point of departure from Europe, we got our refund at Rome. This takes quite a long time, so allow time for this. A word of warning. Carry the goods you have bought in your carry on luggage as they want to see them. You will not receive a refund if they are in your heavy luggage as the VAT refund office is after immigration.

We boarded our plane with not a lot of waiting time. I wouldn't aim for a much earlier departure.

Jennie

Archived