May 10 cruise on Carnival Conquest

scz533

It's a blood-borne condition that predisposes one to the wearing of cowboy boots and the enjoyment of country music.

Stereooooooootypes!

Wearing of cowboy boots are optional, right Bubba???? Tell 'um.. It's the LOOK ~~!!~~

joe.gif

texan.gif

Texas.gif

On our last conquest cruise. We ran into a very drunk man, bothering a young girl. We had to call security, they were there in a few seconds. The whole incident was handled very professionally. I think they cut off his sail and sign card. We never saw him with a drink again. Other than that it was a almost perfect cruise. I love the staff on the Conquest. If you talk to them they are very friendly.

God bless Texas.:D

Too Funny! I was also on the May 10th Sailing of the Conquest out of Galveston! Sounds like a totally different cruise than what we had, as everyone has said before, opinons are just that. I will be posting a actual review of my own once I finish unpacking here, but here is brief view from my perspective:

Yep, we missed the Cozumel stop, but got another fun day at sea and another reason to cruise again. That is usually my favorite port, for the shopping and the beach fun.

The food was good, plenty of it and lots of choices. We dined at every spot except The Point (just didn't make it up there) and the chinese place as the hours they were open seemed short and on saturday when I wanted to try an eggroll they were all out. We usually did the buffet in the morning and for lunch. Yes, the morning buffet seemed the same every morning...oh no, eggs, potatoes, bacon, ham, fresh fruit of all kinds, rolls and an omelet station...I was happy. The buffet lunch seemed to have a varitey of fried chicken, roast, turkey, potatoes, salads, fruit and veggies and an assortment of desserts. The pizzas were great, the hamburgers a bit dry and the fries were just like Mc Donalds. Yummy. The staff in the buffet/aft food area were great to us and all the other passengers we observed..the only problem we had was finding fresh silverware up by the Sur Mer restraunt on the upper level, but within a few min of asking we were set up. I didn't notice any short staff issues, they were always cleaning though. We usually grabbed pizza, hamburgers or my favorite, something from Pauls deli (omg! the best turkey wraps and rubens ever!). For supper I can't really speak for the buffet as we did the dining room every evening. We didn't try The Point dining, but sounds like it would be a nice experience.

The entertainment was good. We usually watched games at 1pm on the Lido Deck, all the typical oldies but goodies. (hairy chest comp, bean bag toss, deck party) We only made it to a few of the Main shows, they were good if you like the vegas style shows. We went to the adult Comedy shows in the Lounge most nights, A bit too crowded with poor crowd control, but a good time. Shows were entertaining, not top of the line, but they did make us laugh.

As for the drunks..I will admit I was having the drink of the day by 9am. It's vacation. I usually sobered up for supper and then drank some more. Yes, I stumble when I drink. However, I never passed out on any deck chairs, we were back in our room (thru those long halls as quietly as possible after a great evening out) and in bed by mid-noc. I never heard any loud cursing...Im not big on that either. The behavior of some attention addicts around the stage area on lido deck was a bit raunchy, but easily ignorable. Im in my early 30s and found the energy on the ship youthful and refreshing. I saw many families aboard having a good time. Yes, most of the Ship's passengers seemed to be from Texas, but they were very good company, Im from Nebraska myself. Never did meet a Billy Bob or a Sue.

Overall, We had a great time, can't wait to go back!

SCZ533,

Thank you for taking to time to post your cruise experience. I was just wondering why you chose a Carnival cruise after making the statement "I certainly had heard that the clientele on Carnival had the reputation of being "partiers" but I had not really expected what I observed on this cruise"? Did you consider Holland America or Princess? I have sailed Carnival and Holland America. Holland America sounds like it would be more suitable to you. Our cruise during spring break of 2005 was very laid back even though there were a lot of children. On these boards many people were concerned that the children would overtake the ship. Honestly, we didn't experience hallway noise or any rowdy passengers. I am going on my first Carnival Cruise in 10 years this summer and I am really looking forward to it.

Some of it was temperature, steaks we got were like leather and didn't really have flavor, some of the dishes just very strange altogether. My post wasn't so much a complaint as much as an observation from my previous cruises. Overall I was not as happy in the dining room as my past cruises but some highlights around the ship would be the hamburgers, chicken strips, deli sandwiches (reuben and the turkey), Pizza, PC Wok and of course the chocolate melting cake, bitter & blanc, tiramisu, etc. I never went hungry believe me. I do wish Carnival would hire a real Mexican food chef though, us Texans love our Tex-Mex and I would love to get a really good taco while on board :D

I was on the Conquest a year and 1/2 ago and the food was great. What was it like when you went? What were the problems? Temp? Variety? I am just curious.

I am also eagerly awaiting the menu on the Dream..........

You seem to be a very judgemental church goer. Just struck me as very funny.

Glad you and hubby were happy.

You are welcome to your judgement about me, but you are wrong. ;)

Even if I was a non-Christian, I would still feel the same way about the way people behaved and upheld themselves in public.

In response to your comment about "no warning", this is taken directly from the Carnival Capers on the nights of the shows when the dancers performed:

"Although not required, due to costuming and some suggestive choreography, parental discretion is advised!"

As to your comment about "not wanting to insult anybody" and then proceeding to do so, I don't know what church you go to but in my church your comments wouldn't be considered very Christian and very insulting.

The Capers did NOT have that information until the show on the last night - even our cruise director made mention of that during the debarkation presentation and apologized for it.

Looks like some people just need to stay away from Carnival. Personally, I love all of the Carnival ships I have been on and will continue to book cruises through them. I enjoy the food, the staff, the drinks, the ports, the laid-back atmosphere, the cabins, the entertainment, the everything. Sorry some of you don't, but there are plenty of other cruise lines out there for ya!

I totally agree - and that is what is so great about vacationing - there is something for everybody. ;)

That's too bad that you were not satisfied with your Conquest cruise. My DH and I love the Conquest and have certainly never had an unpleasant cruise on her. Some cruises are better than others, due to things beyond our control.....the weather, rough or smooth seas, and yes, even the particular group of passengers and crew that share the ship with you that week. We are in our mid 50's and don't drink, yet we love the Conquest. I am about as far from the "party crowd" as one can get, although being around them doesn't affect my cruise. I actually enjoy watching them "cut up" sometimes.

At any rate, I hope you enjoy your next cruise on RCCL. I've been curious about that line but have had no reason to stray from Carnival. It's doubtful that I ever well. (psssst.....I've heard that the people on RCCL are snobs...I hope you don't run into any of those. ;))

I totally agree - and that is what is so great about vacationing - there is something for everybody. ;)

Originally I read your posting on Cruise Critic UK board about your CCL Conquest experience and assumed you were British because it was on CC UK.

Link to CC UK

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=54965

But after reading this CC link here and another CC posting about your comments -link here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=994500

your posting has generated some classic reading be ye British or Yankee. . .OR a Southerner???

How do you know that all Carnival cruises are the same???

My SO and I traveled with friends on the May 10 sailing of the Carnival Conquest out of Galveston. One of our 3 ports (Cozumel) was cancelled due to the Swine flu threat. Although we were disappointed that we would not be stopping in Mexico we were all looking forward to a relaxing and entertaining cruise. I had not travelled on Carnival before (previous cruises were with Royal Carribean and Regent) and wasn't really sure what to expect. I have to say I was very disappointed with the cruise in general. I certainly was not expecting the Carnival experience to compete with what we got on Regent, but I thought it would be comparable to what we experienced with RC.

In a word, the food in the buffet and in the dining room was BAD. It was of poor quality and lacked variety from day to day. Additionally, the service staff in the dining rooms and at the buffet were surprisingly, quite unfriendly. On at least 4 occasions the staff was downright rude (not just with us - we observed them being rude to other guests as well). I am willing to conceede that they appeared to be understaffed and overworked but that is not the fault of the passengers on the ship. They definitely had problems keeping the buffet dining area and the tables by the pools bussed and clean. Very unappetizing.

The bright spots: the staff in the alternative dining area (The Point) were very friendly and attentive. The food there was also of very high quality (for a $30 charge) and we felt both our trips there were well worth it. Also, the cabin steward and his assistant were quite friendly and did a very good job.

A note about the passengers: I certainly had heard that the clientele on Carnival had the reputation of being "partiers" but I had not really expected what I observed on this cruise. Honestly, many passengers were exceedingly drunk not only at night, but during the day as well (probably one explanation for the rudeness of the staff)! As you can imagine, this lead to alot of people cursing loudly, stumbling around and apparently passed out on deck chairs. There was alot of noise in the hallway and adjoining rooms until well after 1-2am. This is definitely a younger party crowd. If you are considering a Carnival cruise with children, you might want to reconsider (especially if you don't want your children exposed to alot of rowdy drunk people acting in a pretty raunchy manner). If you are traveling as a couple and want to party - this is your cruise line. For me personally, it will be my one and only Carnival cruise.

I doubt any cruise would compare to the Seven Seas.....but I don't know anyone other than the OP who could afford it....lol I totally agree with your post...My cruise on the Spirit is the first time I will be on Carnival....Per the OP I guess I should cancel the cruise....lol

OP, I always try and go into a negative review with an open mind. What closes it immediately to the poster's credibility is the comment, "And I am never sailling [whatever] again." I have no concept of how people live like that. Our Fantasy cruise this past week (also a week long) was the exact opposite of what you just posted (except for the good stuff, it all matched). If I always said, "I am never doing [whatever] again," simply because of ONE bad experience options for life would get very slim, very quickly. Wouldn't it be interesting, if, the first time our spouses made a mistake we said, "Well, that's it....I'm out." FTLOG, grow up please and realize that making a whole bunch bad because of one bad apple is operating out of a 2 year old thinking pattern. "I'm taking my toys and going home, nah nah na nah nah". Sigh.

What's wrong with Texans??

:D

sorry you didn't enjoy your cruise, but i almost excepted you to add something about (TEXANS) since we are nothing but rednecks and hillbillies. Go back to RCCL and pay almost twice the price.

My SO and I traveled with friends on the May 10 sailing of the Carnival Conquest out of Galveston. One of our 3 ports (Cozumel) was cancelled due to the Swine flu threat. Although we were disappointed that we would not be stopping in Mexico we were all looking forward to a relaxing and entertaining cruise. I had not travelled on Carnival before (previous cruises were with Royal Carribean and Regent) and wasn't really sure what to expect. I have to say I was very disappointed with the cruise in general. I certainly was not expecting the Carnival experience to compete with what we got on Regent, but I thought it would be comparable to what we experienced with RC.

In a word, the food in the buffet and in the dining room was BAD. It was of poor quality and lacked variety from day to day. Additionally, the service staff in the dining rooms and at the buffet were surprisingly, quite unfriendly. On at least 4 occasions the staff was downright rude (not just with us - we observed them being rude to other guests as well). I am willing to conceede that they appeared to be understaffed and overworked but that is not the fault of the passengers on the ship. They definitely had problems keeping the buffet dining area and the tables by the pools bussed and clean. Very unappetizing.

The bright spots: the staff in the alternative dining area (The Point) were very friendly and attentive. The food there was also of very high quality (for a $30 charge) and we felt both our trips there were well worth it. Also, the cabin steward and his assistant were quite friendly and did a very good job.

A note about the passengers: I certainly had heard that the clientele on Carnival had the reputation of being "partiers" but I had not really expected what I observed on this cruise. Honestly, many passengers were exceedingly drunk not only at night, but during the day as well (probably one explanation for the rudeness of the staff)! As you can imagine, this lead to alot of people cursing loudly, stumbling around and apparently passed out on deck chairs. There was alot of noise in the hallway and adjoining rooms until well after 1-2am. This is definitely a younger party crowd. If you are considering a Carnival cruise with children, you might want to reconsider (especially if you don't want your children exposed to alot of rowdy drunk people acting in a pretty raunchy manner). If you are traveling as a couple and want to party - this is your cruise line. For me personally, it will be my one and only Carnival cruise.

Well after reading your full review, and this post, I feel compelled to comment. You my friend are either one of two things, or possiblly both.

You are on Disney's payroll, or you are mean, old, unattractive person with nothing nice to say about anything.

You are self absorbed, and can't find any good in anything you come in contact with. I myself am a HUGE fan of Disney, and I have spent thousands more on Disney property than I have ever on a cruise. I love the company, and I love their products, and nobody can take away their ability to make all of their customers happy. With that said, your review of the Conquest and of Carnival Cruises was the most one sided example of venom that escapes a nasty hateful person. I have sailed on 7 Carnival ships, one Royal, one Princess, and one NCL, and even though the non Carnival ships never met the same higher standards as Carnival, it never effected any of the cruises, nor would I feel the need to publish such lies about a voyage on a cruise ship.

You my friend need some kind of guidance to be a better person with a better outlook on life and your surroundings. If what you said was true about this cruise in your mind, then I suggest therapy.

And I hope that I never run into you on any cruise line because your mere presence is enough to ruin anyone's time.

Archived