Help!--star clipper information needed

Clark Kent

My wife and I are looking for information on the Star Clipper.

We want to take the Star Clipper for the sailing experience. We really don't care where it stops, just how it sails. We are thinking of taking a repositioning cruise so we will be on board for many days without stopping.

Do they have 24 hr. room service? If not, what are their hrs. of operation?

What are the Catagory 5 cabins like? (comfortable for a 18 day curise?)

I hear they have a double upper berth. Is that ok for 18 days?

Does it really sail or do they mostly motor with the sails up?

We were on the Wind Surf with all sail up all the time, but it was really never sailing. ( just a nice allusion)

The wind Surf was a GREAT cruise. More refinement than a real sailing experience. But it was still GREAT!

Can anyone compare a cruise on the Wind Surf to the Star Clippper?

That would be a big help!

Thanks, CK

Hi CK:

My husband and I have been on the Star Clipper several times. There is no room service. There is a full breakfast buffet including made-to-order omlettes. Lunch is also a buffet, and varies by the day. There is an afternoon tea/cocktail hour, and a dinner which offers at least five different entrees. Plus you can always get steak and fries if you don't like any of the five entrees. Your room can be stocked with wine, etc. if you want.

They love sailing and sail whenever possible. Unlike the Windstar line (which I have also been on twice), they don't pretend to be sailing when they aren't. On the other hand, they have a schedule to meet, so if the wind does not allow them to meet their schedule by sailing they will use the motors. They try to do this at night while people are sleeping if they need to. Also, unlike Windstar line, they do not just push a button and all the sails rise. They actuall pull the sails. If you like sailing you will love Star Clipper. On my first Windstar sailing I was talking to the Captain about the "push button sails." He summed it up pretty well- he said that the Star Clipper had better sailing, but the Windstar had a better "hotel" (meaning rooms and food).

I have not been in a Category 5 room. I have been in a Category 4 and a Category 2. Neither of those had a third bunk. I would think that for a trans-ocean crossing you would not want an extra bunk as it will take up space.

I did the Atlantic crossing on the Royal Clipper last year and loved it. In fact, we're doing the October crossing from Lisbon to Barbados in October.

Hope this helps.

KathyA

Hi CK,

As far as "sailing" on Star Clippers vs Wind Surf. Star clippers are true sailing vessels (Wind Surf isn't a sailing vessel, it just has sails....) the only time they use engines for anything other than electricity generation and to assist in steering is if they can't make their schedule or there isn't any wind, or the winds not blowing where they want them to.

So, if "sailing" is what you're after, not any particular port/region - your best bet are places with trade winds, like the Caribbean or Tahiti. We did Star Clippers in Europe a few years ago and learned that if you want to really sail - that isn't the best idea. Out of 7 days they only had enough wind to really sail twice - once leaving Cannes, and that was a class 8 storm that blew us off course (but our Captain was under sail the whole time - it was the fastest way to get to safe harbor), and leaving Costa Smeralda (we got a salute from the other cruise ship in port and cheers from their passengers. The Captains of the Star Clippers know how beautiful their ships are under sail and love to show them off). The weather and winds in the Med are too unpredictable you never know if you're going to get to sail.

As for repositioning - I imagine the transatlantic is the better bet. The route has been used by sailing ships for hundreds of years.

These ships are incredible under sail - find out which routes have the most perdictable wind patterns and go for those.

Lydia

We want to take the Star Clipper for the sailing experience. We really don't care where it stops, just how it sails. We are thinking of taking a repositioning cruise so we will be on board for many days without stopping.

We were on the Wind Surf with all sail up all the time, but it was really never sailing. ( just a nice allusion)

The wind Surf was a GREAT cruise. More refinement than a real sailing experience. But it was still GREAT!

Thanks, CK

While we were on Royal (vs Star) Clipper, basic service concepts should carry across the fleet -

Eating - No 24 hr room service ... in fact, I don't remember that there was any room service. Food service was provided as follows: Early Bird (Continental) Breakfast was served in one of the lounges from 6-10:30 AM; Breakfast Buffet was served in the dining room from 7:30-9:30 AM; Lunch Buffet was served in the dining room from Noon-4 PM; An afternoon snack was served at an outdoor lounge from 5-6 PM; Sit-down menu dinner service in the dining room from 7:30-10 PM ad a midnight snack in one of the lounges from 11:30 PM - 00:30 AM.

No assigned seating for dinner; however, you could be seated as a group or any available table or a table for two.

Moving - Star Clipper ships are true sailing vessels. They will motor if there isn't enough wind to meet their travel schedule or if they need to travel into the wind to get to their next destination. They travel faster under sail than they do under auxiliary power. As you might expect, most sailing takes place during the evening/night hours when the ship is in a port during the day. Itineraries with sea days will have a greater chance of non-stop sailing.

Atmosphere - A Star Clipper cruise is a very relaxed trip. The ship is the real experience with ports as a side diversion. There was very little in the way of organized ship-board activities designed to "entertain" the passengers.

Enjoy!

I just finished two weeks on the Star Clipper out of Athens, Greece. We were in cabin 330.

I would avoid a cabin on the lowest passenger deck aft over engine room. People in those cabins had got a lot of heat from the engine room. I would also avoid a forward cabin.

Cabin 326 and 324 where directly across from the purser's desk and had lots of traffic.

Cabin 328 would be great, good location and a Cat 3.

I do not think I would like the upper double. You will be climbing up a ladder to get in or out of the bed. Also one side of the bed is next to the wall; that may result in making it more difficult to get in or out of the bed.

MSEM

MSEm003 at gmail dot com

We have been on the Royal Clipper west bound transatlantic crossing (23 nites) and the Star Flyer (11 nites) 10 nite French Polynesia cruise. We're doing the relocation cruise from Athens to Thailand on the Star Clipper this October. I'm hoping we'll sail a lot. The transatlantic crossing was so smooth and windless that we barely sailed at all. I understand that the eastbound crossing that year (2003) was much the same. We had a wonderful cruise but were disappointed in the lack of sailing opportunities. The captain wanted to but .... The Star Flyer sailed all the time as there were lots of thunder storms (2009). Fun stuff when it's rockin and a rollin!

• 2 weeks later...

We did the trip from Athens to Goa India last Oct. It was GREAt. We have signed up for the 34 day from Thaiti to Panama next Feb. 2010. I have some pics on snapfish if you would like to see. We had a USN ship as an escourt in the Gulf of Aden to Oman.:)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, CK

The Royal Clipper does have 24 hr room service in the 1st Cat and the Owners cabin.

• 1 month later...

Star Clipper is a true sailing ship, but. Wind Spirit & Wind Star are capable of really sailing, also. They often turn off the prop and heel over under sail. No way to fake a ship that large heeling over in the wind or running silent. I have never been on the larger Wind Surf and I have never heard anyone state that it can make way under sail power alone.

We also just finished the Athens to Venice Star Clipper cruise. We were in Cabin 301 (Cat. 5), which was in the very front. We had calm seas so motion was no problem. The bed was a double and very comfortable. The only drawback is it's a raised bunk (about 4 feet off the ground) so you had to use either the ladder or the stool to get in and out of bed. Also, there was very little floor space, and we right next to the crew quarters so they were constantly coming and going but it was fairly quiet. I would definitely book that cabin again but not sure about 18 days. It could get a little confining if we were both trying to get dressed at the same time.

• 5 months later...
We were in Cabin 301 (Cat. 5), which was in the very front. We had calm seas so motion was no problem. The bed was a double and very comfortable. The only drawback is it's a raised bunk (about 4 feet off the ground) so you had to use either the ladder or the stool to get in and out of bed. Also, there was very little floor space, and we right next to the crew quarters so they were constantly coming and going but it was fairly quiet. I would definitely book that cabin again but not sure about 18 days. It could get a little confining if we were both trying to get dressed at the same time.

Tell me more about cabin 301 please. We just booked it for 14 days from Barbados through the Panama Canal this fall.

Thanks!

• 5 months later...

Sorry, just noticed your post. I don't do inside cabins and didn't want to pay for a Cat 4, so went with the Cat 5 up front. We loved it. It's definitely smaller than the Cat 4, not a lot of floor space, husband had to stand in the bathroom while I was getting dressed. It felt like we had our own private area because you are in the very front of the ship and there are no other cabins next to you. The door to the crew area is just beyond your door but we really had no issue with noise from their coming and going.

We were booked on your same cruise but at the time we booked the only Cat 5 left were in the back which we took. We decided not to do the SC in October but are now booked on a Princess cruise through the Panama Canal in February.

Is this your first SC? You'll love it. Small ship cruising is the only way to go. There were 10 of us and none of us could think of anything negative to say about the ship, crew, food, etc.

We're hoping to do the Star Flyer in the summer of 2012 and would definitely book a Cat. 5 cabin again.

Have a great trip.

Barbara

2011 Princess Coral (Panama Canal) - upcoming

2010 RCCL Mariner (Mexico)

2009 Star Clipper (Eastern Mediterranean)

2006 Windjammer Mandalay (Windward Islands)

2003 Windjammer Mandalay (Windward Islands)

2000 Windjammer Mandalay (Windward Islands)

1997 Windjammer Mandalay (Windward Islands)

1995 RCCL Sun Viking (So. Caribbean)

1994 RCCL Song of America (So. Caribbean)

1993 Columbia River Cruise

1993 HAL Westerdam (E. Caribbean)

1991 Crown Monarch (W. Caribbean)

1989 RCCL Song of America (W. Caribbean)

1985 RCCL Nordic Prince (E. Caribbean)

DocH20:

Just read your posts on the post that I started regarding the Star Clipper October Barbados to Panama cruise. Since you've done the Royal Clipper, wuold love to get your take on how it compares to the Star Flyer after you've done your cruise. I know the RC is newer, more passengers and a little fancier. I'm thinking we want to stick with the Star Flyer or Star Clipper for future cruises, but the itinerary might dictate which ship we book.

Barbara

DocH20:

Just read your posts on the post that I started regarding the Star Clipper October Barbados to Panama cruise. Since you've done the Royal Clipper, wuold love to get your take on how it compares to the Star Flyer after you've done your cruise. I know the RC is newer, more passengers and a little fancier. I'm thinking we want to stick with the Star Flyer or Star Clipper for future cruises, but the itinerary might dictate which ship we book.

Barbara

Thanks for your replies. I'll let you know what we think about the difference between Royal Clipper and Star Flyer... of course, we were in a catagory 2 on the Royal clipper, so I am sure there is going to be a pretty big difference in cabin size... but who stays in the cabin anyhow???:)

Hi,

We have done all three and are partial to the two smaller ships--more intimate. However, it does come down to itinerary. We have the Transatlantic from Lisbon to Barbados this October on the Royal and the Barbados to Panama in January on the Flyer. :) Please pass on any good info on your fall cruise to Panama!

DocH2O:

Can't wait to hear about your trip. I think I'd have to agree with Cluso That I like the smaller, less fancy ships, but I haven't been on the Royal Clipper so I guess I really can't make the comparison.

Happy Sailing

Barbara

• 2 weeks later...

Archived