Carnival = Frat Party Boat?

stobe1

I am a loyal RCCL cruiser and we have never sailed on Carnival, but are planning a cruise for this September and are starting to take another look at Carnival. However, I am having second thoughts about booking a Carnival cruise because I have always had the impression that Carnival was one big frat party, which is NOT what we are looking for in a cruise vacation. We have this impression because we have heard from friends on several different occasions that this was the case; granted they went over spring break, so this may explain the abundance of college students and soon to be high school grads.

Is my impression wrong here? Should I give them a chance; or should I stick with Royal Caribbean? Maybe those of you who have sailed on both could provide some input.

Thanks!

I am a loyal RCCL cruiser and we have never sailed on Carnival, but are planning a cruise for this September and are starting to take another look at Carnival. However, I am having second thoughts about booking a Carnival cruise because I have always had the impression that Carnival was one big frat party, which is NOT what we are looking for in a cruise vacation. We have this impression because we have heard from friends on several different occasions that this was the case; granted they went over spring break, so this may explain the abundance of college students and soon to be high school grads.

Is my impression wrong here? Should I give them a chance; or should I stick with Royal Caribbean? Maybe those of you who have sailed on both could provide some input.

Thanks!

I have been on RCCL, Carnival, NCL and some upscales lines. Carnival is probably the calmest of all of them. There is little if any difference in teh passenger load of Carnival , NCL and RCCL, in fact NCL adn RCCL allow younger cruisers to travel alone than Carnival does.

You're wrong.

Carnival ships aren't 'frat party' ships. In all my cruises I've seen ONE really drunk, obnoxious guy. He was married on board before we set sail.

His new bride locked him out and he spent the night alternating between yelling at what he thought was his cabin door and crying in the hallway.

Other than that... nothing remarkable...

:)

To funny Host Mach, we have been on many Carnival cruises and went on RCL last year. This year we are going back on Carnival mostly for costs. I did not see any more excessively drunk people on one cruise line versus the other. Personaly, I am one of those that likes to start drinking around noon and go late, with some eating in between of course. I meet many great people on both lines and did not see a difference in the amount of drinking.

I have cruised on RCCL & Carnival and I see no difference in the way people act and party on either line. The Frat party ships are generally the short cruises of 3,4 and 5 day cruises. the longer cruises. The one difference is the workers on RCCL seem alot more helpful not that carnivals are not but all other aspects of the lines seem the same to me

I have been on 5 carnival cruises. Mostly with my family. Only once have I been bothered by a drunk. The cruise is what you make of it. When I'm with my kids it is a very family oriented cruise. The last one was with friends and it was a total booze cruise. It is whatever you make of it.:D

To funny Host Mach, we have been on many Carnival cruises and went on RCL last year. This year we are going back on Carnival mostly for costs. I did not see any more excessively drunk people on one cruise line versus the other. Personaly, I am one of those that likes to start drinking around noon and go late, with some eating in between of course. I meet many great people on both lines and did not see a difference in the amount of drinking.

It WOULD have been funny if it wasn't my cabin door he was yelling at...

:(

People who get drunk and stupid will do so any chance they get, not just on Carnival. I see more drunks everyday at work than I have seen on a Carnival cruise. Go, enjoy, have a great time. :D

I hope you work in a bar:p

Kurban, thank you I was thinking the same thing.

Thinking about it, I lived 4 years in a frat and I have never seen beer bongs, projectile vomit, people drinking from urinals (yes it did happen) and public urination on a cruise ship. So maybe comparing any cruise line to a frat house is not appropriate.:D

Just to clarify my post, I don't have a problem with drunk people or fraternities or frat houses. I did plenty of that in my 20's and I'm over it. To be cliche, "Been there, done that".

I appreciate the input so far, though!

Kurban, thank you I was thinking the same thing.

Thinking about it, I lived 4 years in a frat and I have never seen beer bongs, projectile vomit, people drinking from urinals (yes it did happen) and public urination on a cruise ship. So maybe comparing any cruise line to a frat house is not appropriate.:D

LMAO!!! Although we have experienced the beer bongs on the Paradise:p

Carnival is very family oriented. My husband and I don't drink alcohol, and cruise with two children. It's definitely not a frat house. We feel very safe and happy with Carnival! We've cruised with other lines, but prefer Carnival's newer ships. I have dust and mold issues, so we stay with new ships!:)

Misty!

While I haven't sailed RCCL I can tell you about my Carnival experience.

We have only sailed on 7 or 8 day sailings ( I have also heard the 3 day cruises are a bit more likely to be a party cruise) in the months of December, Jan, March, April. While our first Carnival cruise had a bit of a party atmosphere (not a drunk/obnoxious/booze party), our experience has been a much older crowd than we expected. We tried Carnival hoping to match our younger demographic (early 30's on the first cruise), instead we have found a very mixed demographic including a high proportion of seniors.

Hope that helps!

Thanks!

I just took my first carnival cruise on the 4 day paradise out of Long Beach. This is after 3 RCI cruises 2 on the Vision and one on the Monarch. There was very little difference between the paradise and the monarch when she was in LA.

The only thing that is RCI has over carnival is that they don't have that dam Fun ship freddy. he was hard on the eyes!:D

Thanks!

With all due respect, I think posting your question here on the Carnival Boards will give you some predictable responses. Cruising Carnival is much different than RCCL in my opinion. Good or Bad will depend on your expectations. Carnival does cater to a younger crowd and does have the "Party" reputation. It's really up to you in the end. Good Luck.

Thanks!

I have sailed on both lines for at least one cruise. I sailed on Carnival first and on RCCL at a later time. I'm still sailing Carnival and have not been on RCCL since.

One big frat party on Carnival. I have not found that. However, I did witness a guy so drunk on RCCL that he could not stay in his seat in the dining room. And they say Carnival has the drunks. Ha, lol.

Whichever line you choose is your choice and that of your travel companions. Remember, RCCL charges a surcharge for steak in the dining room and a surcharge for room service after certain hours. Choose wisely.

With all due respect, I think posting your question here on the Carnival Boards will give you some predictable responses.

Yea, that was my initial thought - but OP posed the same question on the RCCL board as well as here so all bases are covered. ;)

Archived