help with Carnival

cruzanisfun

I have cruised once and it was with RCCL on the Navigator of the Seas. I really enjoyed everything about it and especially liked that it wasn't a real party-ish crowd/scene and there weren't tons of kids. I am looking at cruises for November/December of this year and all the ones I'm interested in are on Carnival. I've always thought of Carnival as being more of a party ship. Is this true? Also, do they generally have lots more kids on board? I am just nervous about going on Carnival with having liked RCCL as much as I did... Thanks for the help.

There will be a lot of kids if it is holiday time and they are out of school. I've been on cruises with lots of kids and fewer, but never seen unruly kids personally.

The old "party boat" is addressed ad nauseum on this board. It is something the people who cruise RCCL say to justify the extra hundreds of dollars they spent. I've never seen anyone acting badly, being fall down drunk, or doing all the things they are purported to do. Carnival is family friendly, and I've taken my well behaved children for years. I expect to take my well behaved grandchildren in a few years when they are old enough.

Hi, I have cruised with both and found that they are both the same as far as cruise-goers. I am 34 and have an 11 yr old son.

If you pick a ship with 3-5 days, you will get the younger party-goer crowds bcs it is cheap and convenient (especially when they are on break from school).

I have found that that 7day+ cruises attract the same type of crowds on both cruise lines, respectful travellers. Of course, you get the occassional rowdy crowds, but it is not the norm...

As for your comment "do they generally have lots more kids on board?", I don't think so. I went on The Mariner with RCL in September and there were a lot more kids than when I went on The Miracle with Carnival in October. Our Carnival ship had fewer than 200 kids onboard. They were begging the kids to go to the club for a party night..they needed at least 7 kids to make the party so they could have a big bash, and only 5 signed up....go figure. I wanted the big kid crowd on Carnival and didn't see it during our cruise. The Mariner had more than enough kids to make the parties a big bash.

I really wouldn't worry about the kids, as much as the party-going swingers that stumble down the hall after 2 a.m....

gotta love them all...it is vacation and everyone wants to have a blast...we all chose to cruise in a different light...have fun with whatever you decide....

My partner and I are in our 60's,have been on 14 cruises,10 of which were on Carnival,4 of which were in December.We like Carnival because of the interesting mix of ages onboard and the general atmosphere is upbeat.However, as on any ship,you can find quiet places to completely relax. The number of children on any ship will be higher during the Christmas/New Years period which is why we always pick 1-2 weeks before Christmas to cruise in December.

I have cruised once and it was with RCCL on the Navigator of the Seas. I really enjoyed everything about it and especially liked that it wasn't a real party-ish crowd/scene and there weren't tons of kids. I am looking at cruises for November/December of this year and all the ones I'm interested in are on Carnival. I've always thought of Carnival as being more of a party ship. Is this true? Also, do they generally have lots more kids on board? I am just nervous about going on Carnival with having liked RCCL as much as I did... Thanks for the help.

If you go on the shorter 3-day cruises, it may have more of a party atmosphere. You will find a lot of kids during school vacation weeks. Look out for that. I think that if you avoid Thanksgiving week and the last two weeks of December, you will see less kids.

Carnival has great itineraries, very good large production shows, very good dinners, excellent specialty steak house, very good pizza, outside movie theater, free ice cream, and large balcony cabins. It also costs less and you get more bang for your buck.

The downsides of Carnival:

Pool area is a zoo

Ships are crowded

Ships have a very vegas feel to them (some may like that)

Breakfast buffets are awful (high grease factor) and tough to get a table

Lunch buffets not much better

Not many entertainment options before 10 pm

Embarcation and Disembarcation take way too long

Not sure I'd go back on Carnival without my kids and mine are getting to the age where Royal Caribbean might be a preference

Hmmm, had 3 great cruises on Carnival so far. Breakfast buffet also offers cereals, oatmeal, fruit & pastries. So, you aren't forced to eat greasy foods. The dining room also serves breakfast. I've only had a problem finding a table for 5 at lunch once or twice on the 1st two cruises. No problem at all on the last one on Valor. Embarkation does seem to take a while. Debarkation last year was really quick - we had scheduled our flight for early afternoon & ended up at the airport for 5 hours. I wished it had taken longer to get off the ship.

When I was an agent several years ago, we sold alot of both and to be honest, they're more alike then different. Several family members just got off the Carnival Spirit from a 12 Hawaii cruise, first Carnival cruise in several years for my parents and they're raving about how superior the service was compared to there last couple RCCL cruises. It's kind of funny I had clients who thought the food and service on Carnival was better then Princess and Cunard.

I agree- we have sailed Voyager of the Seas and many carnival cruises.

Both lines as so much alike when it comes to food/service.

Carnival has pizza and ice cream 24 hours a day- royal has ice skating and a rock climbing wall- neither we did.

But price comparison Carnival always came out cheaper.

A few years ago- we were afraid to try princess because I heard it was full of seniors, and nothing to do at night time.- so glad I didnt believe everything i heard because the whole cruise was spectacular

Archived