Passport Rules Change June 1

jhannah

The last phase of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative takes effect June 1. This requires all travelers to carry a passport or other approved document. Birth certificate and driver's license will no longer work. (There is an exception if you sail out of and return to the same U.S. port ... like Caribbean sailings.) Cruise Critic has posted the info, so be sure to check it out.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3235

Doesn't make a darn bit of difference. If you are not a US Citizen you will be required to have a passport from your home nation whether arriving on US soil by land, sea or air.

Sooooo, if you're a US citizen travelling early next month and are travelling to another country (not on a closed loop cruise itinerary) you are probably looking at getting a passport but good luck in getting one in time to travel.

Can you imagine the wait for processing now as they come down tot he wire.

Ciao for now!!!

The wait will most likely be similar to what happened after the initial requirement to get passports. It never ceases to amaze me how people here in the USA are so opposed to getting and carrying a passport and look for any and all ways to not do it. Passports are the ONLY internationally recognized means of identification. If you are going to travel outside the USA, get a passport and all your ID problems will be solved. Incidentally telling the airline representative in a foreign nation that your passport is in the ship's safe and offering a photocopy will NOT get you an airline ticket out of that country.

Bottom line get your passport now and carry it with you.

Further to your last comment Satxdiver, I've never understood why people go to the trouble of getting a passport only to carry a copy of it with them!!! As you say, a copy does no good when you're trying to get out of a foreign country.

It never ceases to amaze me how people here in the USA are so opposed to getting and carrying a passport and look for any and all ways to not do it.

For comparison:

"An estimated 27 percent of U.S. citizens have passports, according to the State Department. In Canada, the rate is 40 percent."

Not surprising given a recent VISA survey that shows about 67% of Canadians planning a foreign trip in the next year (mostly to the USA) and only 50% for Americans. This was amongst VISA debit/credit card holders.

For comparison:

"An estimated 27 percent of U.S. citizens have passports, according to the State Department. In Canada, the rate is 40 percent."

Not surprising given a recent VISA survey that shows about 67% of Canadians planning a foreign trip in the next year (mostly to the USA) and only 50% for Americans. This was amongst VISA debit/credit card holders.

Oh, not to worry. Once passports are required for travel between states (for security), the percentage will go up.

It never ceases to amaze me how people here in the USA are so opposed to getting and carrying a passport and look for any and all ways to not do it. Passports are the ONLY internationally recognized means of identification. If you are going to travel outside the USA, get a passport and all your ID problems will be solved. Incidentally telling the airline representative in a foreign nation that your passport is in the ship's safe and offering a photocopy will NOT get you an airline ticket out of that country.
I couldn't agree more. So many people think that when they're boarding a ship for a cruise to the Caribbean, Mexican Riviera or Alaska is essentially a moving US resort. It's not. Unless you're on NCL-A's Pride of America, you've left the US and are on a foreign-flagged ship. It doesn't matter if some of the ports you go to are in the US; you're no longer in the US when you board a ship. If you don't have one, get one and consider it as part of the cost of cruising. A passport is good for 10 years so you don't have to think about it again for 9.5 years.

The wait will most likely be similar to what happened after the initial requirement to get passports. It never ceases to amaze me how people here in the USA are so opposed to getting and carrying a passport and look for any and all ways to not do it. Passports are the ONLY internationally recognized means of identification. If you are going to travel outside the USA, get a passport and all your ID problems will be solved. Incidentally telling the airline representative in a foreign nation that your passport is in the ship's safe and offering a photocopy will NOT get you an airline ticket out of that country.

I agree with you 100%...I do think however people are dealing with sticker shock when you take a family of 4 down to the passport office and the final price is about $500.00! This is why we did it over the course of a year paying for one at a time, it just felt better :D! This might be why people are still traveling to the caribbean and such with their trusty birth certificates and photo ID's...the day will come though where their will be no choice so start now on the yearly plan like we did!

Preach it Sister (or brother...). I, too, am confused as to the resistance of this, and have on other threads pointed out a color copy of your passport isn't worth any more than the paper it was printed on. There is the passport card, which will suffice for many opposed to getting passports for some travel.

However, the wait will not be the same. There is a new process in place for mass-printing passports (whereas they used to be produced I think in the local offices). Also, many people got passports at that time, and since, who no longer need to apply.

Preach it Sister (or brother...). I, too, am confused as to the resistance of this, and have on other threads pointed out a color copy of your passport isn't worth any more than the paper it was printed on. There is the passport card, which will suffice for many opposed to getting passports for some travel.

However, the wait will not be the same. There is a new process in place for mass-printing passports (whereas they used to be produced I think in the local offices). Also, many people got passports at that time, and since, who no longer need to apply.

They weren't produced in the local offices. But the Department of State has tried to streamline the process. I've no idea if that really has worked or not (speaking as a federal employee who works for another department).

The rest of the world have been using passports for god knows how many years......I don't see what all the fuss is about.

Ypu complain that you've got to pay $75 for a ten year passport, try paying £75 (approx $110) then you've got something to complain about....

The rest of the world have been using passports for god knows how many years......I don't see what all the fuss is about.

Ypu complain that you've got to pay $75 for a ten year passport, try paying £75 (approx $110) then you've got something to complain about....

And my first U.S. passport (back in 1965) cost a whole lot less--but as I recall, it was only valid for 5 years.

Having a passport is one of the costs of traveling. It's not tough. But for some reason, a lot of people resist this, then wait to the last minute to get one, then complain when it's not delivered within a week.

They weren't produced in the local offices. But the Department of State has tried to streamline the process. I've no idea if that really has worked or not (speaking as a federal employee who works for another department).

I applied for my passport 2 months ago and it took 3 weeks to receive.....:) I applied at the Post Office. I had my picture taken there....no hassle...quiet easy.

Archived