Any recommendations for a hotel in Rome

Bevvie24

Well...your criteria are pretty vague; probably more than 400 hotels would meet them. :rolleyes: When are you going? What area do you want to be in? Do you like older European-style hotels or homogenous American-style hotels? What price do you ideally want to pay per night?

I suggest you look on venere.com under Rome hotels. You can search by cost and by area. Then check the ratings on CC's sister site, Tripadvisor.

Once you narrow it down, we can provide more helpful feedback.

We stayed at the Navona Garden suites & I absolutely loved loved loved the location. A few steps away from Piazza Navona, a quick walk along a side street to Corso Vittorio Emmanuele & all the bus routes etc.

However, there were 4 of us which made it more economical for us. Also, it is more like a room/apartment come B&B where you help yourself to breakfast as & when you need it from the food/drink provided, so it may not suit everyone.

I would happily stay here again..BUT ..one other proviso. I wouldn't stay here on a Saturday or Monday night as there is a nearby disco which is noisy & goes on rather late. At other times it is lovely & quiet, a little oasis.

We want to stay a few days in Rome but not pay $500 a night.

Albergo del Sole Al Pantheon...Pantheon right outside front door....hotel built 1462...fantastic and worth every penny...central location for shopping, touring and restaurants....highly recommend.

Thanks all for your comments. We are flying in early for our cruise and want to stay 2 nights before heading out. It will be September 26 and would like to pay less than $200 a night if possible. Do not have a requirement for location. Sorry if I was vage.

I will also suggest Venere.com

Put in your price range and see what comes up for that date.

The hotels in Rome are priced according to the season you go ......

low season - high season - and some have mid-season.....

so even if someone suggests a hotel - if they stayed in a different season the price can vary ALOT !!!!

SO put in your dates and price range and see what comes up.....

look at all of them and pick a few and then post here which ones you are interested in.

Ex: We just got back..... we stayed May 3rd at the Albergo del Senato (literally next door to the Pantheon) and paid 165 euros for 1 night (@ $222.00 US) then we stayed there post cruise May 15th and paid 260 euros (@ $ 351.00) Price went up because May 15th was when "high season" started......

I will suggest Hotel Golden for a clean economical hotel..... near the Spanish steps (good area). Small hotel and books early by a lot of cruisers.

We stayed in the Hotel Ponte Sisto a couple of years ago.It was an excellent hotel with a brilliant location.A couple off our Dream Roll call for september will be staying there.

This time we are going straight to the port pre cruise but have booked the Hotel Regno for 2 days afterwards. its near to the Trevi Fountain

We stayed in the Hotel Ponte Sisto a couple of years ago.It was an excellent hotel with a brilliant location.A couple off our Dream Roll call for september will be staying there.

This time we are going straight to the port pre cruise but have booked the Hotel Regno for 2 days afterwards. its near to the Trevi Fountain

We just checked this two Hotels on Venere.com and could not find either. Do they have websites?

My whole family stayed at the Hotel Romae in Rome. It was not expensive, very clean, air condiitoned, breakfast and the bathrooms where beautiful. I would recommend it to anyone. My friend took about 20 people on a family trip and she has been in the travel industry for 30 years and everyone stayed there and loved it. Good Luck.. Dicrepe2@aol.com

Last year we stayed at the Oceania, which was recommended by Rick Steves in his books on Rome. It was not super-close to any particular spots in Rome but it was very accessible by public transportation. We even walked there with our luggage from Termini train station. Also, by not being near any night spots, it was quiet.

:)We just booked the Hotel Alexandra, Downtown, for $160.00 night on September 18. This was an amazing deal as it is right next to the Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, Villa Borghese, public Transportation and within walking distance 1 mile or less to most sites. The rooms are said to be small, but for downtown a bargain. Hope this helps.

Thanks all for your comments. We are flying in early for our cruise and want to stay 2 nights before heading out. It will be September 26 and would like to pay less than $200 a night if possible. Do not have a requirement for location. Sorry if I was vage.

In view of your schedule (September being high season in Rome), to stick with your budget, check out Hotel Smeraldo, right near the Campo di'Fiori in the old area of Rome I love to wander around in at night. Basic rooms, but superb location and in your price range.

We just returned from a Oceania Cruise and spent 2 days on our own in Rome. We booked thru Venere.com and stayed in Hotel Italia for 130 euro per night. 10 minute walk from Main Termini, 15 minute walk from Spanish Steps, Colosseum, Trevi Fountain, Pantheon. 5 minute walk to nearest Hop on-Hop Off stop. Clean, quiet, good European breakfast. The staff was very quick to respond to emails before we left. Would stay there again.

Another vote for the Albergo Del Senato at the Pantheon. Wonderful setting, central to many of the things you will want to see in Rome, plus the staff is very friendly and professional. I loved it there!

Jenny

Recently stayed at the Hotel Saint George Roma on the Via Giulia near the Campo di Fiore and LOVED it, booked on expedia, $200 a night. It has a spa, greta breakfast and ideal location. PPreviously stayed at the Exedra Palace and the Westin and would in a heartbeat go back here instead

We recently stayed at the Hotel Lancelot which had been recommended by friends who have stayed there many times. It was wonderful! Great location, in a real neighborhood about 3 blocks from the Colosseum. Great restaurants, and conveniences nearby, near the subway station, near alot of sights but still a quiet place. The hotel itself is a small one-owned by a wonderful couple who make it very special and homey. Almost all rooms have at least a small balcony, many of which have incredible views of the ancient sites. The rooms are roomy, comfortable and modern. Typical European breakfast included each morning. Also, if you get a chance, every night they have a dinner where you get an opportunity to eat with fellow travelers who come from every corner of the world. The food is excellent and the company is so much fun. We will definitely stay here again! They can arrange tours, taxis, etc for you.

We want to stay a few days in Rome but not pay $500 a night.

Once you find a hotel that you would like to stay, try booking through the hotel's web site. Many times if you book directly through them and and well in advance there is a big savings. I saved 50% on my hotel in Venice and about 30% on my hotel in Rome. In Rome I have booked the Hotel Scalinta di Spagna for my stay in June. The hotel is located by the Spanish Steps. We are paying 513 Euros for 3 nights. Frommer's gave this hotel a good review.

I thought the original poster's criteria was USD $200 or less (this is also my budget). I've read about Hotel Lancelot--sounds great, but the direct hotel website price is 186 euros for a double in the high season--that's $264 a night; a bit over. But it is 150 euros in low season (about $213, so that's a lot closer).

I'm going to continue to look at hotels people have recommended here, holding on to my reservation unless I find something better.

Realize too that for a hotel stay in September, some of the places recommended here may already be fully booked, e.g. Hotel Golden is fully booked for the time I'm going to be in Rome.

Mike

Archived