Any recommendations for a hotel in Rome

Bevvie24

Frommer's gave this hotel a good review.

I'm not sure how often Frommer's (or other guidebooks) update their reviews, so I like to check on Tripadvisor.com (sister site to CC) where you can read reviews by travelers (and often, recent reviews.) You can easily access the reviews by googling the name of the hotel + city + Tripadvisor.

The reviews have a rating from "Excellent" to "Terrible". It's worth having a look at some reviews of each rating. (In the section that shows "Rating Summary', click on the words "Excellent - Terrible" to bring up those reviews.)

I second the recommendation for TripAdvisor and will add in reviews at Venere.com. I used to exclusively use Expedia for hotel reviews, but TripAdvisor has many more hotel reviews than Expedia. And I like TripAdvisor's popularity ranking feature.

Guidebooks, sad to say, are out of date by the time they're printed. While I still find guidebooks essential, it is unwise to depend on them exclusively for "perishable" information (places go out of business, change management, etc).

We stayed at the Hotel Isa (near the Vatican and Castel San Angelo) and enjoyed it. Thought location was excellent. Rates have varied from 99 euro to 199 euro, including breakfast.

Jerry

I don't know how quickly hotels get booked up for September, but there will be lots of cruisers returning from Rome in June so you could post again to get more opinions. We are booked at Papa Germano (found on Trip Advisor) for €85 per night but I can't actually recommend it yet because we don't leave until June 15. Friends of ours are staying at a convent. Their accommodations look very similar to ours but may be slightly less per night. The places we looked at on Trip Advisor were small, often family-run hotels, that include some sort of breakfast. These hotels do not offer large hotel ammenities, but were what we were looking for. Good-luck in your hotel search and remember to report back when you get home.

Happy sailings...

• 1 month later...

Just returned from five nights in Rome and our second stay at the Hotel Smeraldo near the Campo di' Fiori. Superb location, clean rooms, excellent soundproofing, good service, all for 130 Euros per night plus 7 Euros per person for a substantial breakfast. Just a few minutes from the transportation hub of Largo Argentina in the middle of the very pedestrian-friendly Old Rome for wonderful night strolls around Campo, Pantheon, Jewish Ghetto and Piazza Navona. I simply love staying in this part of Rome and highly recommend you choose a hotel in the Pantheon/Piazza Navona/Campo di' Fiori area.

We stayed in SuitesRome for 2 nites recently - 150E a nite; right near the Spanish Steps - so a super location; clean, quiet, nice bathroom, very attractive and Stefano was very helpful. We walked everywhere.

• 2 months later...

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Hotel Italia on Via Venezia (off Via Nazzionale). It's a 10 min. walk from Termini and a ~15 min walk to most of the attractions (Colosseum / Forum / Palatine Hill, Trevi Fountain, etc). About a 5 min. walk from the Republicca Metro station. Cost was about 130 euros a night.

The staff were *very* helpful and welcoming, there's free breakfast, and the place was spotless. Would absolutely stay there again.

Albergo del Sole Al Pantheon...Pantheon right outside front door....hotel built 1462...fantastic and worth every penny...central location for shopping, touring and restaurants....highly recommend.

We have a reservation for Albergo del Sol Al Pantheon in November after our cruise but I am getting a little concerned. Your review sounded great but I have read many bad reviews for this hotel. I know the location is great but I have read the rooms are not very clean and smell musty, and hard beds. Looking at the Albergo Del Senato in the same area. Any thoughts or comments will be so apprecated! We are celebrating our wedding anniversary and wanted a very nice hotel.

Thank you!

We have a reservation for Albergo del Sol Al Pantheon in November after our cruise but I am getting a little concerned. Your review sounded great but I have read many bad reviews for this hotel. I know the location is great but I have read the rooms are not very clean and smell musty, and hard beds. Looking at the Albergo Del Senato in the same area. Any thoughts or comments will be so apprecated! We are celebrating our wedding anniversary and wanted a very nice hotel.

Thank you!

If you can splurge on the Albergo del Senato you absolutely won't regret it. They are the best hotel (in my opinion....but also in the opinion of many others who have reviewed it) in probably one of the best locations in Rome.

I'd contact the hotel directly; you'll often get a better rate that way than through hotel websites. If you do end up staying there, be sure to tell them it's your anniversary. You may get a little "gift" ;).

If the Albergo del Senato is too pricey, I would recommend the Albergo Cesari as a good alternative. It's not as favorably located as del Senato, but it is an excellent small, historic hotel that is not far away. It has recently been redone and has a nice rooftop area where breakfast is served.

Archived