are these shoes ok for Alaska?

tranceFusion

You'll see every type of shoe in Alaska. Just make sure yours are comfortable.

I just want to make sure that my feet aren't drenched the entire trip :) We will be doing a land tour for a week and then the cruise.

IMHO, if you want waterproof New Balance shoes, order waterproof New Balance shoes: http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?page=new-balance-966-waterproof-country-walkers&categoryId=58420&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=503429&cat4=503426&shop_method=pp&feat=503426-sub2&np=Y

Waterproof sprays DO NOT make sneakers (tennies) waterproof, there are too many ventilation ports. No matter how much spray you put on, you will still end up with two soakers!

I have worn shoes from this company for the last three years, and can attest to their water resistance as well as the slip proof. They are very comfortable, and take little time to "break in". I have had my pant legs and the top of my socks soaked, and the foot stayed dry, and in the morning when I go down steps that are often covered with frosty ice in winter time, these shoes dig in and you walk secure. One time i forgot i did not have them on, and nearly fell as my foot slipped as soon as it hit the step.

http://www.shoesforcrews.com/sfc3/index.cfm

IMHO, if you want waterproof New Balance shoes, order waterproof New Balance shoes: http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?page=new-balance-966-waterproof-country-walkers&categoryId=58420&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=503429&cat4=503426&shop_method=pp&feat=503426-sub2&np=Y

Waterproof sprays DO NOT make sneakers (tennies) waterproof, there are too many ventilation ports. No matter how much spray you put on, you will still end up with two soakers!

Those shoes didn't get the best reviews on zappos. People said they were narrow (and I already use the widest size shoe) and rigid. they also said they trapped moisture IN the shoe.

The shoes I linked have very few ventilation areas.

I don't really want to spend money on shoes that I will wear only on our trip. I am trying to figure out how big of a deal it is to get waterproof shoes. Do people get by tromping around Alaska for two weeks with a couple pairs of walking sneakers?

I bought waterproof sneakers from landsend.com. They were relatively inexpensive and seem comfortable. I wore them around a bit because I don't want to be unpleasantly surprised with sore feet in Alaska. :)

Archived