Island Princess/Alaska/June

reppop

My husband and I, along with my sister and her husband are planning an Princess Alaskan cruise in late June. We are not novices to travel but this will be our first cruise. We opted for Anytime Dining but are having second thoughts. We have heard both sides and would appreciate some input. We were told that in the regular dining room we will be unable to eat at a table for four and will be put with other folks on the cruise. Is this true? We are not snobs, but don’t live that close to each other so time together is precious, so not sure we want to be at a table for 6-8. Then we were told that we would need to make dinner reservations each day if we opt for Anytime Dining, but read a blog where some had a long wait for a table. The cruise is in one month; are we locked in? Can we change? We tried these questions with our travel agency and they were rather stymied and their answer was not clear. HELP!! Thanks. Newbies from CT

My husband and I, along with my sister and her husband are planning an Princess Alaskan cruise in late June. We are not novices to travel but this will be our first cruise. We opted for Anytime Dining but are having second thoughts. We have heard both sides and would appreciate some input. We were told that in the regular dining room we will be unable to eat at a table for four and will be put with other folks on the cruise. Is this true? We are not snobs, but don’t live that close to each other so time together is precious, so not sure we want to be at a table for 6-8. Then we were told that we would need to make dinner reservations each day if we opt for Anytime Dining, but read a blog where some had a long wait for a table. The cruise is in one month; are we locked in? Can we change? We tried these questions with our travel agency and they were rather stymied and their answer was not clear. HELP!! Thanks. Newbies from CT

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

I haven't been on the Island but the Princess ships I have cruised on, there have been tables for 4 in the Anytime Dining Rooms. They may fill up early but they are there. Yes, I have heard many others make a 'standing nightly reservation' for a particular time and even a particular table. I like Anytime Dining because of the flexibility. It may be hard to switch to first or second seating but have your TA check with Princess right away. If it's full, you can always go see the maitre'd immediately when you board as others make changes once on board.

Since you are new here, have you checked out your "Roll Call". You can find that section back on the main page. Select the cruise line, then ship, then find your sailing. You can start chatting with others on your cruise, share ideas, share excursions...if any of that interests you.

Good luck and have a great cruise!:)

We travelled to Alaska on the Island Princess last June - had a great time.

Yes, there are tables for 4 in the anytime dining room - you will be asked when you get to the dining room what kind of table you would like or whether you will sit at whatever tables are available at that time. Sometimes you may have to wait for a table for 4, but you will eventually get one (they do give beepers to signal you when your table is ready).

We started with anytime dining on our cruise last year, but switched to traditional dining (late sitting) part way through the cruise after meeting the Maitre d'. He invited us to try traditional (there were lots of empty tables for the late sitting) so we did.

Archived