Enhanced Drivers Lic. or Passport?

thisis4us

Anyone know if it ok to just have one of the new Enhanced Drivers Licenses instead of a passport for an Alaskan cruises? We are round-trip out of Seattle, but do plan on a few excursions up north, especially the rail trip.

Thanks for any help from this novice!

Deb-n-Dave

I just filled out my documents on line for our round trip on the Westerdam out of Seattle, and they asked for our passport numbers. I'm pretty sure it's because the ship stops in Victoria.

As far as the border officials are concerned the new Enhanced Driver's licenses are fine for crossing the border - what the cruise ships might required is another thing.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

I haven't cruised Alaska yet, but this is something I can answer, since I cross the border at least weekly.

The important question: are you both U.S. citizens? If so, the enhanced driver's license is fine for both sea and land crossings between U.S. and Canada.

You cannot FLY between the U.S. and Canada with the enhanced driver's license. The only way this could affect you would be if you had a medical emergency or missed the ship in Victoria (if that's one of your ports). Everywhere else, you can be evacuated, or catch up with the ship, by land crossing/U.S. only flights.

Boarding in Seattle *shouldn't* be a problem as the cruise lines know the rules. In addition to your enhanced driver's license, they can also accept notarial birth certificates + regular driver's licenses on *closed loop* cruises from a U.S. port - where you return to the port of origin. If you each have notarial copies of your birth certificate, I'd bring them.

This "closed loop" exception isn't properly stated on the Department of State's website. The best site for the correct info is:

http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/lang_eng/eng_sa.html

On that "Special Groups" page, scroll about halfway down to " 'Closed Loop' Cruises".

FYI for Canadians reading this: there is NO "closed loop" cruise exception for Canadian citizens.

I'm pretty sure that as of June 1st, passports or passport cards are required for Ship travel to Canada and Mexico. With this in mind, if you don't already have one or an application in the works, I would apply for the Expedited service. It took them nearly 8 weeks to process my sister's (after they told her 2-3 weeks at the post office). I'm checking off the weeks until mine arrives (non- expedited) - 2 weeks down, but I still have 10 weeks until my cruise so I'm not worried.

Just got this off of NCL's website.

As of June 1st, 2009:

For sailings that depart from and return to the same U.S. port, you need a valid passport, proof of citizenship and a valid government-issued photo I.D. (driver's license with a photo), or any other WHTI compliant document. Proof of Citizenship examples include: an original or state certified copy of a U.S. or Canadian birth certificate, certificate of U.S. naturalization, original certificate of U.S. citizenship, or a U.S. Consular report of your birth abroad.

For open-jaw sailings (cruises that depart from one U.S. port and return to a different U.S. port), you are required to carry a valid passport, U.S. passport card, U.S. or Canadian Enhanced Drivers License, as well as have in your possession all relative visas that pertain to your travel itinerary. Permanent residents of the U.S. are required to carry their valid ARC cards for boarding AND passport from their country of citizenship, if available.

Note: If you miss your ship at its scheduled U.S. departure port and need to travel outside the U.S. to meet your ship, or should you unexpectedly need to depart the ship from a foreign port prior to the end of sailing, a passport would be required to leave or re-enter the U.S. by air. To that end, NCL strongly recommends all guests to obtain a passport for their voyage on any NCL vessel.

Go to the State Department website and fill out the application online then print it - leaves very little room for mistakes - Get approved pictures taken and submit your application ASAP. Note that most Post Offices require appointments for Passport Application processing. I found that one out the hard way.

Archived