Resident Rate on Celebrity

silvercity

napi's mom Thats not true...there was a NY residency rate in march on the summit.

*sweet*

This is not exactly a plethora of residency rates...I have seen 1 also actually on CC cabins but spending time trying to find them isn't worth the effort???

ontario

That is so not right. We live in Bainsville Ontario and got the resident rate for the December 6th sailing Panama Canal out of San Diego on the Constellation. However not all room categories get the resident rate. We found with the resident rate it was only $200.00 more to book the Celebrity suite than the sky suite. Having been on the Summit's celebrity suite it was 4 times the size so for $200.00 it was well worth it. Have your TA check every category and then let you know. You may get an amazing room that you never thought was acceptable for your price range.

take care

Claudetteicon11.gif

I did book with a TA...but to be honest she is of little help with "anything"...after reading all the stories on these boards about OBC, prepaid gratuities etc...I mentioned it to her....she said that was a US thing...whatever that means...I checked out some of the other provinces rates...it's awful!!! But, my TA won't even talk about any kind of discount/or savings....I will never book with her again. It seems like Cdn's are getting ripped off (or at least people from Ontario) I booked 3 cabins and paid full price for all 3. I watch the website daily and when it went down, I called my TA...she said that price(on Celebrity's website) didn;t include taxes and port fees of like $400pp....So basically I have to wait until the fare goes down another $300 (which is not likely...it's only gone down $150 since January)

Did you get any perks, like I hear about on these boards? Or is my agent correct?

Are you a captains club member. If so there is a coupon on their website. We are Select members and used it for our December 6th sailing on the Constellation.

Claudette

Are you a captains club member. If so there is a coupon on their website. We are Select members and used it for our December 6th sailing on the Constellation.

Claudette

No we are not Captain's Club members (We have previously sailed with Carnival and Princess)...I have checked all cat. for our sailing (Aug 14th on the Summit) and Ontario is the ONLY province that does not have a resident rate. As I said our TA is not doing us any favours...actually she seems put out everytime I mention any kind of price drop, perk, or incentive I have seen on various websites etc...It has gotten to the point that my DH and I have resigned ourselves to (1) never using her again (2) vowing to research more before we make the leap to book. At this point anything we get is a bonus...even if it is only a coupon book or the obligitory (sp?) bottle of cheap wine...

actually I just re-checked and NFLD/LABRADOR also does not qualifyy for the resident rate...so if Celebrity is basing their chose on Ontario being a wealthy province...what is the basis for NFLD? The un-employment rate in NFLD is the highest in Canada....none of this makes any sense IMHO....where does where you live have anything to do with the price you should pay? We have to save for our vacations just like everyone else.....

I don't mean to be unsympathetic, I'm an Ontario resident myself and I like to get a good deal but I have to ask, what exactly do you think "resident rate" means?

If everyone who lived anywhere got it it would simply be a price drop. The very term "resident rate" implies to me that it is a special, different rate for people who reside in a certain area.

I don't mean to be unsympathetic, I'm an Ontario resident myself and I like to get a good deal but I have to ask, what exactly do you think "resident rate" means?

If everyone who lived anywhere got it it would simply be a price drop. The very term "resident rate" implies to me that it is a special, different rate for people who reside in a certain area.

I agree. Like I said, I'm from FL and out of my whole group, I am the only one that didn't get a resident rate. Sometimes I win, sometimes I don't. It's just like giving discounts to firefighters and not nurses, what can you do?

The resident rate could also mean that Celebrity recognizes that to get anywhere a cruise departs, most Canadians have to fly to Toronto or Montreal to get an connecting flight, thus increasing the total cost of the trip. This may prevent some people from booking, thus..a discount.

The resident rate could also mean that Celebrity recognizes that to get anywhere a cruise departs, most Canadians have to fly to Toronto or Montreal to get an connecting flight, thus increasing the total cost of the trip. This may prevent some people from booking, thus..a discount.

I guess it could, but then over the years I have seen a number of resident rates for Florida residents on ships that leave from Florida ports. I think it is just something that the cruiselines do to try to boost sales. maybe if they already have a number of bookings from Ontario they feel that they don't need to discount to that market but if the rest of Canada hasn't been booking they throw in a little extra incentive there.

As long as it is stated up front, I don't have a problem with it...to me it is sort of like complaining that they won't give you the 'senior rate' because you are only 40.

If you are okay with your price for the cruise book it, if not 'punish' the cruiseline in the best way possible by not booking.

Since Ontario is the most populated province I would agree that most cruisers come from Ontario. Yes I agree with target marketing but this is isn't target marketing, its discriminatory. If California had full rate and the rest of the 49 states in US had a discounted resident rate would that be right? Also since we are already booked should a company truly feel with don't need to be empathetic with there customers. Or is it you payed now so too bad?

How is it discriminatory? And how is this not target marketing? They want to target peopel outside of Ontario so they offer a better rate to people outside of Ontario. It's as simple as that.

What you are saying is like a store having a weekend sale but since I work on weekends I can't get the sale prices so it's discrimination against people who work on weekends.

Carnival is a business and I'm sure they have their reasons for residency rates but the fact is if you happen to live in Ontario, you can't get a residency rate at this time. Next time there is a residency rate for Ontario but not other provinces are you going to argue for the other provinces?

How is it discriminatory? And how is this not target marketing? They want to target peopel outside of Ontario so they offer a better rate to people outside of Ontario. It's as simple as that.

What you are saying is like a store having a weekend sale but since I work on weekends I can't get the sale prices so it's discrimination against people who work on weekends.

Carnival is a business and I'm sure they have their reasons for residency rates but the fact is if you happen to live in Ontario, you can't get a residency rate at this time. Next time there is a residency rate for Ontario but not other provinces are you going to argue for the other provinces?

First of all this is a discussion board...no one is arguing with anyone. The topic of conversation is why is Ontario and NFLD the only 2 provinces that do not have a residency rate available. We are trying (through intelligent conversation) to find out why all but 2 provinces would get this deal. We assume that Ontario tends to have a higher standard of living in terms of housing etc costing more, therefore the cruise lines have recognized this and figure we don't need a deal. But, NFLD has the highest rate of unemployment in the country and no cut rate is being offered to them. I am sure there are a hundred different "marketing" reasons why Celebrity has chosen to do this. IMHO I think that the rate should be the same across the board. Someone from the US or England should not have to pay double my fair just because of where they come from, because while on board we are both getting the same service, same food etc...Or would that be ok...for all New Yorkers to pay double the fare, simply because they reside in New York. (Not because they've missed a sale or work weekends-it is in your control to take a weekend off to go to a sale-It is not in your control as to where they allow discounts for residency) And I have booked my cruise (no residency rate) I just feel that someone that lives an hour away should pay the same.....

So why doesn't NFLD get a resident rate? So I guess you'd be ok with every province other than Nova Scotia paying one price and only residents from Nova Scotia paying 25-30% more? Canadians are already getting ripped off with the exchange rates from CDN to US or EUROS....Now we get ripped off with our fare too!

First of all this is a discussion board...no one is arguing with anyone. The topic of conversation is why is Ontario and NFLD the only 2 provinces that do not have a residency rate available. We are trying (through intelligent conversation) to find out why all but 2 provinces would get this deal. We assume that Ontario tends to have a higher standard of living in terms of housing etc costing more, therefore the cruise lines have recognized this and figure we don't need a deal. But, NFLD has the highest rate of unemployment in the country and no cut rate is being offered to them. I am sure there are a hundred different "marketing" reasons why Celebrity has chosen to do this. IMHO I think that the rate should be the same across the board. Someone from the US or England should not have to pay double my fair just because of where they come from, because while on board we are both getting the same service, same food etc...Or would that be ok...for all New Yorkers to pay double the fare, simply because they reside in New York. (Not because they've missed a sale or work weekends-it is in your control to take a weekend off to go to a sale-It is not in your control as to where they allow discounts for residency) And I have booked my cruise (no residency rate) I just feel that someone that lives an hour away should pay the same.....

This thread was started by the OP saying they "fully agree with target marketing" but that a resident rate not being offered in Ontario is "WRONG". While it may not be agreeable, it is not wrong and it is target marketing. Celebrity and any other business are free to offer discounts to whomever they like.

As far as someone from the US or England paying double, you have to keep in mind that there are different taxes depending on where you live. You can not have one thing across the board, there are too many variables from taxes and fees, to exchange rates, to TA commisions, to marketing considersations. People on this thread are making assumptions about pricing/discounts when they do not have all of the information.

I live in New York and I probably paid more for my upcoming and past cruise then others. And I probably paid less then some others as well. For whatever reason, Celebrity has residency rates for some cruises in some places. Stating that it is "WRONG" in what is incorrect. Again, while perhaps unfair, we have no reason to really question why Celebrity gives or doesn't give discounts based on location. If someone is not happy with the price they paid or the price they are offering, they are free to cancel or don't book and take their money to another cruise line.

No we are not Captain's Club members (We have previously sailed with Carnival and Princess)...I have checked all cat. for our sailing (Aug 14th on the Summit) and Ontario is the ONLY province that does not have a resident rate. As I said our TA is not doing us any favours...actually she seems put out everytime I mention any kind of price drop, perk, or incentive I have seen on various websites etc...It has gotten to the point that my DH and I have resigned ourselves to (1) never using her again (2) vowing to research more before we make the leap to book. At this point anything we get is a bonus...even if it is only a coupon book or the obligitory (sp?) bottle of cheap wine...

Funny I checked today and no province gets a discount at this point. So maybe it is just exclusive to certain sailings. I would defintely switch TA if I were you. Does not look like they know the meaning of customer service.

take care

Claudette

The residency rates arbitrarily discriminate against people who live in certain states or provinces by favoring others. Thus people living only a short distance apart may even be charged different prices depending on whether their homes happen to be located on the "right" or "wrong" side of the state line.

Cruise lines are able to get away with this kind of discrimination (and it is discrimination based merely on geographic location) because it is not yet considered politically incorrect to favor people from one locality over another.

Imagine the outrage that would ensue if they were to offer such discounts only to certain favored ethnic or religious groups and excluded others.

The residency rates arbitrarily discriminate against people who live in certain states or provinces by favoring others. Thus people living only a short distance apart may even be charged different prices depending on whether their homes happen to be located on the "right" or "wrong" side of the state line.

Cruise lines are able to get away with this kind of discrimination (and it is discrimination based merely on geographic location) because it is not yet considered politically incorrect to favor people from one locality over another.

Imagine the outrage that would ensue if they were to offer such discounts only to certain favored ethnic or religious groups and excluded others.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Either you have one price for all or offer the "sale" price to all.

You need to do a reality check. Cruise lines are no different than airlines with respect to "sale" pricing, and I suspect they utilize a yield management system similar to that used by airlines to determine same. Airlines constantly monitor the sales and market conditions of their individual routes to determine how many seats are to be made available at full fare and how many are to be sold at one of the umpteen other fares they offer. Fare availability can change hourly, resulting in so many different fare categories that it's pretty hard to find two pax on the same flight who paid the same price. I've no doubt cruise lines use similar yield management formulas to determine on which cruises they will make resident/senior discounts available, when those fares are to be introduced and in which locales they are to be made available, basing those determinations on applicable sales and market conditions. It's all about marketing and profitability; accusations of discrimination are just plain silly.

Disneyland used to (perhaps still do) offer a discount if you had a license with a Southern California zip code. Is that discrimination? No, it's a marketing technique used to build business from a certain area. It is the same thing as Celebrity is doing. They obviously have the data to see who is cruising and where they are from and that gives them the ability to offer sales to other areas. If people from Ontario are big cruisers who are willing to pay full price, why would thy offer a discount to them?

If you don't like their business practices, don't do business with them, it's as simple as that.

And your TA has zero influence over Celebrity's residency discounts. Trashing him/her because she can't get you a rate that isn't offered to people where you live is not bad customer service, that is all they can do. Why don't you call up Celebrity and ask them for a discount?

So are you up in arms about senior rates or about military rates too?

Great point! Perhaps I will ask my TA to get me a senior discount despite the fact I am in my 30's. And if she can't do I will get another TA who will get me that discount that isn't applicable to me. :confused:

Disneyland used to (perhaps still do) offer a discount if you had a license with a Southern California zip code. Is that discrimination? No, it's a marketing technique used to build business from a certain area. It is the same thing as Celebrity is doing. They obviously have the data to see who is cruising and where they are from and that gives them the ability to offer sales to other areas. If people from Ontario are big cruisers who are willing to pay full price, why would thy offer a discount to them?

If you don't like their business practices, don't do business with them, it's as simple as that.

And your TA has zero influence over Celebrity's residency discounts. Trashing him/her because she can't get you a rate that isn't offered to people where you live is not bad customer service, that is all they can do. Why don't you call up Celebrity and ask them for a discount?

Had you taken the time to read my thread properly, you would have seen that I am not "trashing" my TA because she could not get me a residency rate...how could she if it is not being offered????? My point was that of all the perks made available to cruisers of every state or province ie discounts, obc, prepaid gratuities, or even a bottle of wine have never been extended by her...in probably 12-15 bookings...as far as calling Celebrity and asking them for the rate....apparently you are missing the point IT IS NOT BEING OFFERED TO ONTARIO RESIDENTS!!!! You know the whole reason for this discussion.....So I guess you don't get at all defensive when someone generalizes about all New Yorkers? Because let's face it....every New Yorker is exactly the same..right? I will assume you don't agree...Then why should everyone from a certain state or province be considered the same simply by their zip code/postal code....Believe it or not we have Doctors/Lawyers and people that work at Mcdonalds just like everywhere else...so to market based on the presumed wealth of the state/or province is just wrong....that's right WRONG.....

You need to do a reality check. Cruise lines are no different than airlines with respect to "sale" pricing, and I suspect they utilize a yield management system similar to that used by airlines to determine same.

Well, they are different as airlines don't charge different prices based on what state you live in.

Archived