Resident Rate on Celebrity

silvercity

Perhaps, some might be well advised to seek a written opinion from their attorney for a definition of "discrimination" based upon the decided case law of the U.S. Supreme Court. Applying the rationale of those cases, I believe that many will realize that the basis for their opinions is not the law, but only their personal views which have no legal effect.

This "argument" certainly has nothing to do with discrimination in a legal sense but appears to have to do with discrimination in an idealogical sense.

Perhaps, some might be well advised to seek a written opinion from their attorney for a definition of "discrimination" based upon the decided case law of the U.S. Supreme Court. Applying the rationale of those cases, I believe that many will realize that the basis for their opinions is not the law, but only their personal views which have no legal effect.

You may be very well versed in the laws of the US SUPREME COURT, but since the US does not govern the world, discrimination laws I am sure will be varied depending on what country is debating them. I believe the posters in this particular forum are from all over the world. I know I am not American...therefore what the US SUPREME COURT has to say on the subject really interests me in the least.

To place these arguments in their proper perspective, the cruise lines endeavors vis-a-vis the utilization of market preferences does not constitute "discrimination" under any case law in the U.S., Canada, or anywhere the common law principles of the western world obtain. Therefore, if the lines wish to offer discounts to elders, Floridians, service personnell etc., then they are perfectly free to do so. I would suggest that the those who are envious of the benefits which have accrued to others are guilty of the sin of envy. As I recall, that is one of the seven deadly sins.

This is not directed at anyone, it's just my 2 cents worth.

Saying that the Cruiseline "discriminates" against people based on Resident Rates or whatever criteria they want is just silly. Where does it end? Do they "discriminate" when they have higher prices on Holiday Sailings such as Christmas? Aren't people that don't celebrate Christmas being "discriminated" against for having to pay a premium even though they don't celebrate the Holiday? Give me a break.

How about Insurance rates being based on your credit or how many claims you file? Or wait - WHERE YOU LIVE! Sounds like "discrimination" to me.

Bottom line - it's a business. And as long as there is Free Enterprise, they can choose which, if any discounts to give and who gets them. Not everyone will be happy, but that's life it's not fair. If you don't like it, then don't partake in their business.

Now keep checking those "discriminatory" rates. But, make sure that if you qualify, don't accept it - pay the higher price. After all, you wouldn't want to be called a hippocrite, would you?!

• 4 weeks later...

Well I just found this thread and I have a question slightly off topic. I called Celebrity to ask for availability and rates for the Solstice Februay 14 2010 sailing. The agent asked me what state I was from to see if there was a discount. I told him Vermont and he said there was no discount. When I asked what states have discounts he rattled off about a dozen of them. One of them was Florida where we have a second home. The price difference was about $1300.00 in the Royal Suite. Thats a huge savings! What do you need to claim a resident discount. We live in Florida part of the year, my car is registered there but my drivers license is Vermont. Does anyone know what proof Celebrity needs to book the resident rate?

Well I just found this thread and I have a question slightly off topic. I called Celebrity to ask for availability and rates for the Solstice Februay 14 2010 sailing. The agent asked me what state I was from to see if there was a discount. I told him Vermont and he said there was no discount. When I asked what states have discounts he rattled off about a dozen of them. One of them was Florida where we have a second home. The price difference was about $1300.00 in the Royal Suite. Thats a huge savings! What do you need to claim a resident discount. We live in Florida part of the year, my car is registered there but my drivers license is Vermont. Does anyone know what proof Celebrity needs to book the resident rate?

We are considering booking a Celebrity cruise for the first time and I was shocked to read that Ontario is excluded from Residency Rates (although I have never seen an Ontario Discount on RCI, ONtario is on the list).

We also have a home in Florida, pay taxes, etc. and have a Fla Drivers License. Would like to know if we could apply for FLorida resident discount; we live there all winter so are close to the ports.

Kathy

Well Tomko2 I see that you are my neighbor in Florida. Naples is where our vacation home is. If you have a drivers license I dont think there will be a problem getting the Florida resident discount. But I am wondering if they will accept my tax bill and/or car registration for the Florida discount.

From the Celebrity website: "Please Note: A valid driver's license, state-issued ID, proper military identification, or proper proof of fire/police employment (badge or ID) will be required for validation at the pier. If age, state of residency, military, or fire/police participation cannot be validated, you will be charged the standard rate or denied boarding."

Well Tomko2 I see that you are my neighbor in Florida. Naples is where our vacation home is. If you have a drivers license I dont think there will be a problem getting the Florida resident discount. But I am wondering if they will accept my tax bill and/or car registration for the Florida discount.

We bought in Naples 9 years ago and cherish our 6 months there each year! We get to play tennis all year round which is our passion.

The thing about the Florida Lic. is that about two years ago the State changed it's policy and Driver's Lic. for us non-Florida resident have the word Temporary on them!:( So I don't know if Celebrity would accept them for residency discounts.

Kathy

Thanks Tomko2. I think we will aply for the Florida license and I will call Celebrity tomorrow to see if this would be eligible proof for a residents rate. BTW where are you in Naples. We are in Olde Naples.

Since Ontario is the most populated province I would agree that most cruisers come from Ontario. Yes I agree with target marketing but this is isn't target marketing, its discriminatory. If California had full rate and the rest of the 49 states in US had a discounted resident rate would that be right? Also since we are already booked should a company truly feel with don't need to be empathetic with there customers. Or is it you payed now so too bad?

I have read the first few pages of this thread and then skimmed the last several so apologies if this has already been addressed...

It is NOT discriminatory for a Cruise Line to offer promos to people from certain geographic regions and not others. There is nothing in the charters or laws of Canada that say that an airline, cruise line, or any other retailer for that matter must charge the same price in every province.

I can tell you on good authority that the revenue management team at Royal / Celebrity / Azamara is very smart and use advance techniques to run 'tactical' campaigns.

If they run a resident promo - everyone in that province ALREADY BOOKED can then get a price drop to the lower rate. So X will look at individual sailings and if there are many BC based bookings (e.g. Vancouver - Hawaii repo sailings) then they will NOT offer a resident rate to BC residents. They will however offer it to AB, or MB, or maybe ON and PQ.

It's smart revenue management. I appreciate that it may be frustrating, but ultimately the cruiseline does not want to dilute the existing booked revenue and is looking to tactically promote discounted fares to 'top-off' bookings and fill the ship.

Princess does exactly the same thing in Canada. If you put in YYZ as the home city gateway, sometimes there are lower 'Regional Rates' then YEG or YYC as the home gateway. Is this discrimination for Albertans? Princess made it very clear that the home gateway must match residency, backed up with provinical government issued ID which could be asked for at pier so that they could enforce this.

We are considering booking a Celebrity cruise for the first time and I was shocked to read that Ontario is excluded from Residency Rates (although I have never seen an Ontario Discount on RCI, ONtario is on the list).

Kathy

Kathy - Ontario is not 'excluded' from Residency Rates. There are Celebrity Sailings that have ON resident rates available, but residents of BC and AB are not eligible.

It goes back to my point above about tactical marketing and where the bookings on the ship currently have originated from.

There is no blanket exclusion on ON for Canadian Resident rates. Some CANRES rates apply to all provinces, some to select provinces. Some sailing dates have up to 3 CANRES promo codes - different stateroom categories on sale in each promo, and each promo applicable to different provinces. It is feasible that CC and Sky Suite cabins are on a resident promo for ON and PQ residents, but only Oceanview and Inside for AB and BC.

Thanks Tomko2. I think we will aply for the Florida license and I will call Celebrity tomorrow to see if this would be eligible proof for a residents rate. BTW where are you in Naples. We are in Olde Naples.

We are at the World Tennis Center on Airport; still a short ride to the beach but not as close as you. :p

YYC/FA, thank you for the clarification. I am new to Celebrity and have a lot of reading to do to learn the ropes.

Kathy:)

It is NOT discriminatory for a Cruise Line to offer promos to people from certain geographic regions and not others.

It is discriminating between different customer groups, but that doesn't make it illegal. I don't recall that anyone has said it is illegal.

If they run a resident promo - everyone in that province ALREADY BOOKED can then get a price drop to the lower rate. So X will look at individual sailings and if there are many BC based bookings (e.g. Vancouver - Hawaii repo sailings) then they will NOT offer a resident rate to BC residents. They will however offer it to AB, or MB, or maybe ON and PQ.

Thanks - that's the first time it's been suggested, and makes sense as to why they wouldn't want to increase sales in certain areas.

You want to try living in the UK we pay more for our cruise, no residents rates offered, and the one that really bugs me is no Military rates, this is a disgrace, now that is discrimination.

As a UK resident I agree with Elaine...we personally don't qualify for Military discount even if it was available...and we certainly don't get residence rates EVER...and the prices we pay ( having checked with North American prices generally over a long period... ) are far higher . We can assume a transatlantic flight will considerably add to a cruise cost but even a short flight within Europe to join a ship doesn't seem bring the cost of the cruises down ....so we are penalised all ways.

From the site of the on-line TA I have used I found this:

"If you purchase a resident rate, you will be required to present a valid driver's license or state-issued ID at the pier to prove residency in the state or province."

I'm not sure what other kinds of state issued ID's you might have, aside from a driver's license. I guess calling Celebrity and asking would be the safest way to find out.

I think residency goes by your primary residence where you live for the majority of the year. If Florida was your primary residence you would be entitled to a homestead exemption on your real estate taxes so I would think a copy of your Florida tax bill that shows you are entitled to that exemption might be adequate proof.

Archived