Green Card Holders: Passport rules? Please help :(

JulesNJ

I apologize in advance as I am sure there are countless threads on this board pertaining to passport rules. I've read numerous articles/threads and for my particular situation, I'm getting various answers on whether I need a passport.

My fiance and I are taking our first ever cruise in August (on the CP to the Caribbean) for our honeymoon. Fiance has just put in for his passport, they've already cashed his check so we know his passport will arrive shortly.

I am a British national but I live in the US. I have legal permanent residency and obtained my green card through my employer (I was transferred to the US 13 years ago through work). My British passport expired and I put in for a new one last week.

I am now hearing that the British Embassy in Washington have somewhat of a backlog processing passports. Now while I am not sailing until August, I'm feeling a bit panicky! As far as other forms of ID, I have my green card, American Driver's Licence, British Birth Certificate and a social security card.

My question is - if this backlog of passport applications does not clear up, am I doomed? Will I not be allowed on the ship? This is a closed loop cruise - leaving and returning to NYC and we will be visiting Bermuda, Grand Turk, Puerto Rico and St. Thomas.

I'm a little nervous - this is our honeymoon and our first ever cruise. if I don't get my passport on time, will they not let me on the ship? Any non-US residents on this board with green cards able to shed some light on passport rules for non US residents? I keep getting a different story depending on who I ask. Thanks so much everyone.

My guess is that you will get varying opinions here, especially since the new "rules" went into effect just yesterday. If I were you, and if you have the option, I would pay extra to have your passport application expedited at the British Embassy.

There are two matters at play here...whether Princess will let you on the ship in the first place....and if they do, whether the US authorities will let you back into the US at the end of the cruise, or into St Thomas or San Juan during the cruise, and if Bermuda and the T&C's will let you in there....

Too much of a gamble, if you ask me, given that the rules are so new.

Hi,

cant speak for the british thing but my wife is Mexican and travels with her green card and U.S. Photo id (lic.). she does not have a Mexican Passport. We have never had a problem getting in or out of the U.S. for cruises. One problem we have had a little problem with is that her Green card and Lic. have different names given she is married to me and the green card was long before me. It has never stopped us but we have been asked questions.

John

Hi,

cant speak for the british thing but my wife is Mexican and travels with her green card and U.S. Photo id (lic.). she does not have a Mexican Passport. We have never had a problem getting in or out of the U.S. for cruises. One problem we have had a little problem with is that her Green card and Lic. have different names given she is married to me and the green card was long before me. It has never stopped us but we have been asked questions.

John

New rules as of June 1.......

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

This is what the Dept. of Homeland Security's website states:

Land/Sea Travel

Lawful permanent residents may continue to present their Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card. More information available at CBP.gov.

Then when going to cbp.gov, it states:

'

*Lawful permanent residents (LPRs), refugees, and asylees (of the United States) will continue to be able to use their Alien Registration Card (Form I-551), issued by DHS, or the Travel Document issued to those with refugee or asylee status to apply for entry to the United States.

Foreign nationals that are lawful permanent residents of the U.S. must present a Permanent Resident Card (“Green Card”, INS Form I-551), a Reentry Permit (if gone for more than 1 year), or a Returning Resident Visa (if gone for 2 years or more) to reenter the United States.

If this is true, then I am fine - I have my permanent resident card but I still get conflicting answers and get told I need a passport, hence my confusion. Let's just hope I get my passport in on time. UGH!!! :) If i can't get on the ship, there will be one very upset new bride on the Brooklyn dock :(

To enter back into the US, all you need your Resident Alien Card. While visiting other countries, a passport from your native country may be required. Worst case scenario, you will be denied boarding due to lack of a valid passport.

While visiting other countries, a passport from your native country may be required. Worst case scenario, you will be denied boarding due to lack of a valid passport.

Yes, that was my point about Bermuda and T&C's.

Regarding your fiance's passport, they cashed our check right when we applied, and it took 5 1/2 weeks for us to get our passports.

Goodness, really? That is crazy! Well, we have 5 1/2 weeks. I have everything crossed we both get ours back in time.

Goodness, really? That is crazy! Well, we have 5 1/2 weeks. I have everything crossed we both get ours back in time.
With the new passport rules that went into effect yesterday, people are suddenly realizing (after almost two years of being told) they need a passport so I'm sure the passport offices are inundated. When they tried to implement the rules over a year ago, it took some people 2 - 3 months to get passports. Hopefully, they are better prepared this time.

I have a problem also getting off the ship at times. My passport and drivers lic. are in my married name and my alien card is in my maiden name. Some of them question the difference in the last name. Been told to update my alien card to my married name.cost id 400.00 and that is the us immagration that want that done. I am Canadian

I have a problem also getting off the ship at times. My passport and drivers lic. are in my married name and my alien card is in my maiden name. Some of them question the difference in the last name. Been told to update my alien card to my married name.cost id 400.00 and that is the us immagration that want that done. I am Canadian

My wife use to have the same problem, she simply applied for a passport from her naitive country back to her maiden name, and now when we travel abroad we booked everything using her maiden name and since the name now matches her green card and passport there's never even a second look at her travel documents. When booking anything I simple list my wifes maiden name and if asked I note that she chooses to travel under her maiden name.. Simple and Legal.

Srpilo

I apologize in advance as I am sure there are countless threads on this board pertaining to passport rules. I've read numerous articles/threads and for my particular situation, I'm getting various answers on whether I need a passport.

My fiance and I are taking our first ever cruise in August (on the CP to the Caribbean) for our honeymoon. Fiance has just put in for his passport, they've already cashed his check so we know his passport will arrive shortly.

I am a British national but I live in the US. I have legal permanent residency and obtained my green card through my employer (I was transferred to the US 13 years ago through work). My British passport expired and I put in for a new one last week.

I am now hearing that the British Embassy in Washington have somewhat of a backlog processing passports. Now while I am not sailing until August, I'm feeling a bit panicky! As far as other forms of ID, I have my green card, American Driver's Licence, British Birth Certificate and a social security card.

My question is - if this backlog of passport applications does not clear up, am I doomed? Will I not be allowed on the ship? This is a closed loop cruise - leaving and returning to NYC and we will be visiting Bermuda, Grand Turk, Puerto Rico and St. Thomas.

I'm a little nervous - this is our honeymoon and our first ever cruise. if I don't get my passport on time, will they not let me on the ship? Any non-US residents on this board with green cards able to shed some light on passport rules for non US residents? I keep getting a different story depending on who I ask. Thanks so much everyone.

I'm a Brit living in the US. I used to have a Green Card but became a citizen a few years ago. I always had to travel with both my Green Card AND passport. The GC wasn't enough to get me in the country.

I still renew my British passport through the DC Embassy and find they are very fast. They turned my daughter's renewal application around in two weeks. Even if they are backlogged I think it's highly unlikely that you won't have the passport back in time. Did you note your date of travel in the passport application???

I am sure this will work out for you!!! You have plenty of time for the new passport to arrive.

Best of luck!

You will be required to show your valid British Passport....as anyone would be who holds a residency card. Without the passport, you will be denied boarding.

As you know, ALL who hold a residency card are required to keep their passport current at all times..... In the extreme, your green card can be revolked if your passport isn't up to date.

Best thing is to keep calling to check the status of your passport...or, maybe look to see if you can get it expedited if you pay more money.

Regarding your fiance's passport, they cashed our check right when we applied, and it took 5 1/2 weeks for us to get our passports.

Yes - that's the same for us too. There are 3 of us. It took 5 weeks exactly to get them renewed and there were no special circumstances or anything. To get them in the beginning, it only took 3 weeks. Renewals seem to take longer now.

I'm a Brit living in the US. I used to have a Green Card but became a citizen a few years ago. I always had to travel with both my Green Card AND passport. The GC wasn't enough to get me in the country.

I still renew my British passport through the DC Embassy and find they are very fast. They turned my daughter's renewal application around in two weeks. Even if they are backlogged I think it's highly unlikely that you won't have the passport back in time. Did you note your date of travel in the passport application???

I am sure this will work out for you!!! You have plenty of time for the new passport to arrive.

Best of luck!

Thanks ever so much - The DC Embassy is usually VERY fast (I got my last passport in record time but that was 10 years ago lol). I don't sail until August 13th so my head will be spinning if I don't have it by then! I found a great forum for British expats who are in the same position (as far as waiting for their passports) and it seems the turnaround time is about 6 weeks.

I did indeed note my date of travel - actually I said it was August 1st :)

As you know' date=' ALL who hold a residency card are required to keep their passport current at all times..... In the extreme, your green card can be revolked if your passport isn't up to date.

Best thing is to keep calling to check the status of your passport...or, maybe look to see if you can get it expedited if you pay more money.[/quote']

My passport expired May of this year so they cannot (and would not) revoke my green card. Too late to get my passport expedited now as my forms are already in unfortunately:(

Archived