I live in Funchal - Madeira Island. I can advice

Hi H2otstr,

The basket ride, also know as Toboggan ride, is a 2km downhill run, with you seated in a two seat wicker basket, controlled by two men (12.50 euros per person). It starts in Monte and ends in Livramento, which is another 2km away from the centre of Funchal. From there, you have a choice of either walking all the way down (only recommended if you are good walkers), taking the bus or a taxi.

Hi Biaria

I am thinking of taking gondola up the mountain, and basket ride back down.

From Livramento, I plan to walk back to the cruise ship. Is there a special scenic walking route I should follow?

Also, what exactly is the market? And also I will be there on a Sunday, will the market be open?

thanks for your time.

Dan from Canada

Hello,Biara!

DH and I will once again visit your beautiful island in April.

We are hoping to visit Blandy Gardens and wine tasting at the Wine Lodge this trip. We are hoping to DIY if possible. Would you kindly tell us the best way we could get there from the port and will it be opened on 26/04/09. (? a holiday in Funchal)

Thank you in advance,

Claire

Hi Biaria

I am thinking of taking gondola up the mountain, and basket ride back down.

From Livramento, I plan to walk back to the cruise ship. Is there a special scenic walking route I should follow?

Also, what exactly is the market? And also I will be there on a Sunday, will the market be open?

thanks for your time.

Dan from Canada

Hi LtDang,

From Livramento, you just keep walking down, continuing the same route the Toboggan was doing, as this will end up being the quicker way of you getting back in town and to your cruise ship. To tell you the truth, I never walked down that road, but I think it will have some scenic parts.

The market is our normal fresh produce, flower and fish market, it's very colourful I must say and, in my opinion, well worth a visit. Unfortunatly it's closed on Sunday.

Hello,Biara!

DH and I will once again visit your beautiful island in April.

We are hoping to visit Blandy Gardens and wine tasting at the Wine Lodge this trip. We are hoping to DIY if possible. Would you kindly tell us the best way we could get there from the port and will it be opened on 26/04/09. (? a holiday in Funchal)

Thank you in advance,

Claire

Hi Claire,

I think you mean 26/4/10. I looked in next year's callendar and I don't think it will be a holiday in Funchal.

To visit the Blandy Gardens, also known as Palheiro Gardens, on you own, you take the bus n. 33 (Balancal), 36 (Lombo da Quinta)or 37 (Palheiro Ferreiro). A ticket bought inside the bus, costs 2.05 euros per person per ride.

Blandy Wine Lodge is in the centre of town and you'll easily walk there. You can book a guided tour online, if you are interested.

• 2 weeks later...

We have stayed in Funchal and looking forward to visiting again, even if only for a brief look round. I can't remember how near the Port is to the centre of Funchal. Will we be able to walk into the centre without needing to catch a shuttle bus? We quite enjoy walking so wouldn't mind a reasonable distance.

Hello vivienne,

Nice to know you'll be back in Funchal.

Yes, if you enjoy walking, you'll reach the centre of town very easily. In about 15 to 20 minutes you'll be there. The Market will be 30 to 40 minutes away.

Enjoy Madeira!

We will be in Madeira (Funchal) next week and I have a few questions.

We would like to do the cable car, the tobaggon, see the market and just stroll around town. In what order would you recommend doing these things?

One person, on another thread, wrote that we can walk from the cruise ship to the cable car station in only ten minutes. Can you please confirm this for me? Or is it best to go into town to get the cable car?

Then if we take the tobaggon ride down we will need a bus or taxi back to tow to avoid the steep walk. Are taxis readily available? About how much would it cost? If we take a bus, where would we get it, what number bus should we take and how much does the bus cost?

Once we are in the center of town will we be close to the market or is that a further walk?

Thanks for your advice.

Hi PointsGalore,

So nice to know you'll be here so soon.

I would, definitely, recommend your visit to the Market first thing in the morning. The Cable Car station is not far from the Market, so in about 5 minutes you'll walk there. Once in Monte, you take the Toboggan ride down to Livramento.

You're correct, the walk from the end of the Toboggan ride to town, is a rather steep downhill one. Taxis are readily available, they charge 10 euros, per taxi, to take you to town and 15 euros to take you back to the ship.

Alternately, you can choose to take the bus. You'll find a bus stop not too far away from where you'll finish your ride and one ticket, bought inside the bus, costs 2.05 euros per person, per ride. It will be number 19 and make sure it says "Centro", meaning it goes to the centre of town. If it says "Levada da Corujeira" then you are on the wrong side of the street, just go look for the bus stop on the opposite side. After your bus ride, you can stroll around town at your leasure.

The walk from the ship to the cable car station, depends a lot on how fast you walk and on where your ship is docked. If the ship docks on the south side, where it usually does, I'd say it will take you between 30 to 40 minutes, if it docks on the north side, where it very seldom does, it'll take you about 20 minutes. Please note that these values are based on average walking capacities.

As the market is rather close to the cable car station, you'll take about the same time for your walk there.

Sometimes shuttle buses are readily available for free, to transfer cruisers from the pier to town, try to find out if there's such a service offered to your ship.

Enjoy Madeira!

Hi Alan,

As a local, I'm not allowed to recommend any specific businesses, but I can say that, on a Sunday, you can taste and buy wine in a wine shop.

You can also choose to buy your wine at the supermarket, but you won't be able to taste it.

Pricewise it doesn't differ much, whether you buy it at the wine shop or the supermarket.

For shopping in general on a Sunday, we have several good Shopping Centres in town.

Enjoy Madeira!

Edited by biaria

Hi shirlmac,

Some friends of ours from South Africa bought some very nice scenic tiles in Camacha, to place in their pool area. Is that the type of tiles you're looking for?

Madeira wine comes in Malvasia (sweet), Boal (medium sweet), Sercial (dry) and Verdelho (medium dry).

It's my pleasure to help you.

Marty, what did you do in Funchal, Maderia Portugal? BTW..the Equinox was a great itinerary...and the private tours were great. Jerry's Eqyptian tour was excellent even though he was not there. He never made the cruise.

I am asking the question of everyone, what should we plan to do in this port? I plan to contact Daniel really soon but need to know what to tell him we want to see.

Darlene

Marty, what did you do in Funchal, Maderia Portugal? BTW..the Equinox was a great itinerary...and the private tours were great. Jerry's Eqyptian tour was excellent even though he was not there. He never made the cruise.

I am asking the question of everyone, what should we plan to do in this port? I plan to contact Daniel really soon but need to know what to tell him we want to see.

Darlene

Hi Darlene,

I'm glad the Equinox worked out and that Jerry did provide the services he promised. I really had little trust in his sincerity.

Daniel will take you on a four hour tour and show you the highlights of his beautiful island. He is passionate and very well informed of the history of Funchal. We opted not to end up and take the toboggan or cable car but those options are available. We had Daniel drop us off near the market in Funchal....we walked around town.....had a great lunch....shopped a little....did the Blandy's winery tour w/samples.....and took a short taxi back to the ship....it was a very relaxing day......you'll enjoy Daniel's general tour of the countryside...........Enjoy the holiday's.......we're off to Florida + a Eurodam Caribbean cruise in February........Marty

Hi we will be in Funchal Wed 11/3/10 8:00 am till Thur. 11/4/10 4:00 pm. Since we will be there overnight what is there to do at night. Looking for shows folk or culture type.

Arriving on the Westerdam

Thank you

Ed and Donna

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Michelle,

Yes, you can visit all these site in one day and on your own. if you are a good walker, you won't even have to use any type of transport.

Having a map with you will be very helpful.

• After a 30 to 40 minute walk from your ship, you'll reach the Market.

• Then you take the Cable Car to Monte, the station in town is quite close to the Market.

• Once in Monte you do the basket ride.

• Now, after you're finished with the basket ride, you'll be in Livramento, which is 2km away from the center of town. You can either walk all the way down or choose to take the bus or a taxi, your choice will depend on how well you walk.

• If you choose to walk to town, in about 45 minutes you'll be at the Old Blandy Wine Lodge. They offer online reservations for guided tours, if you're interested.

• From Blandy it will take you about 20 to 30 minutes to get back to your ship.

Enjoy your day in Madeira.

Hi Biaria, Thank you so much for all the information, This looks like a plan!!

We will be in Maderia April 12th...a Wednesday!! Was wondering if taxis were avilable at the pier. I'm thinking of taking one to the market and saving that 30-40 minute walk... do you need reservations for the basket ride?

We will only be in port from 10:00 till 17:00... will there be time to do everything you speak of, ...Thanks so much, Lynn

Hi Lynn,

Yes, as your time here is so short, it's really wise to make use of some transport. Taxis are readily available at the pier. Free shuttle buses may also be available, for rides from the ship to the center of town, but you'll be left somewhat away from the market.

A taxi ride from the pier to the center costs 7.50 euros.

Also, after your basket ride, it may be advisable to use some kind of transport, as it ends 2km away from the center of town. If you plan on visiting Old Blandy Wine Lodge, a taxi may be your best choice, as you can be left right there. If you take the bus to town, you'll still have to walk and you probably won't have that much time to spare.

If you take a taxi to the market and again from the end of basket to town, I think you'll be able to accomplish this plan you mention.

A taxi ride from the end of the basket ride to town is usually charged at 10 euros and 15 euros if the driver takes you to the ship instead.

There's no need to make reservations for the basket ride, you just stand in a queue, waiting for your turn.

My pleasure to help and have a nice time in Madeira.

Edited by biaria