Juneau Princess excursions: Photo Safari vs. Mendehall Glacier & Whale Quest

lawahoo2001

We're debating which of these two excursions to take in Juneau. I have links to each excursion below. I'm currently signed up for the whale quest but am thinking about switching b/c I'm really into photography (bought my first SLR last summer). We'd like to see both Mendenhall glacier and whales, if possible.

The photo safari only costs about $25 more pp but is a little shorter tour (4.75 hrs vs. 5.25 hrs; for the whale quest, which is longer, you have 1 hr at glacier and 3 hours on the water). The whale quest tour will give you a $100 cash refund pp if you don't spot a whale (but who knows if you'll capture it on film).

Photo safari is on a small boat, supposedly customized for marine photogrpahy, but there is no set itinerary as to the wildlife you're in search of. Whale quest is on a larger boat/catamaran (probably heated). I doubt my husband or I will get sea sick, but this is one of the original reasons why I decided to go with a larger boat. The size of the tour for photo safari is limited to 14 people.

Any thoughts on either of these tours? How good is the photo advice on the safari tour? We'll be in Juneau in mid-July. Is anyone has taken either tour, it'd be great to see your photos - please post! :p

http://princess.stepintoalaska.com/tour_details.cfm?tourid=photosafari

http://host2.namelessdns.com/~allenmar/PRINCESS%20CRUISES/index.php?section=19

Archived