Carnival Stock-How does it help?

triple7tahoe

We just returned from a wonderful TA cruise on the Grand. Actually the cruise was 29 days and could have been purchased as two cruises. I was talking with a couple who had done just that. I asked why and was told that they got "on board" credits from Carnival stock ownership as well as the credit that they received from FCC purchases. Can anybody enlighten me as to how much stock one has to own; what kind of credits (amount) do you receive etc.?:confused: These folks said it was actually to their benefit to break the cruise up because of the added on board credits. Help is appreciated-Thanks:)

We just returned from a wonderful TA cruise on the Grand. Actually the cruise was 29 days and could have been purchased as two cruises. I was talking with a couple who had done just that. I asked why and was told that they got "on board" credits from Carnival stock ownership as well as the credit that they received from FCC purchases. Can anybody enlighten me as to how much stock one has to own; what kind of credits (amount) do you receive etc.?:confused: These folks said it was actually to their benefit to break the cruise up because of the added on board credits. Help is appreciated-Thanks:)

Here's a thread that's right from this board: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=903748

Thank you for the rapid replies:). I followed the first link and tried to read all 17 pages. The answer is fairly clearly spelled out. Buy Carnival stock if you cruise alot. We do and we will:D Thanks again.

Dale

You used to get dividends, but those stopped. Now, you get onboard credit. We just got 100.00 of onboard credit for our 11 day cruise. It is $50.00 for shorter cruises, and I believe $150.00 for longer. It is a nice perk for people who cruise a lot and the stock is down quite a bit, so it should be a decent time to buy it. You only need to buy 100 shares to qualify. The stock is CCL.

Closing price yesterday was $26.24 X 100 shares needed makes a total investment of $2624. Assuming the stock never changes prince it will take 26 cruises (BAL $24) at $100 OBC to earn your money back. of course at the end of that you could sell your stock and essentially have doubled your money as you get your original investment back.

The stock has shown in the mid 30's and low teens since January. You are sitting in the middle right now. Also the market expects the stock to under perform the rest of the market. Crap shoot I know as no one knows for sure.

Seems like a large investment for the return you get. Personally I would wait it out and see if it drops lower. If you have the money to spend and plan on cruising a lot, go for it. If you don't have the extra money I would find something else.

Closing price yesterday was $26.24 X 100 shares needed makes a total investment of $2624. Assuming the stock never changes prince it will take 26 cruises (BAL $24) at $100 OBC to earn your money back. of course at the end of that you could sell your stock and essentially have doubled your money as you get your original investment back.

The stock has shown in the mid 30's and low teens since January. You are sitting in the middle right now. Also the market expects the stock to under perform the rest of the market. Crap shoot I know as no one knows for sure.

Seems like a large investment for the return you get. Personally I would wait it out and see if it drops lower. If you have the money to spend and plan on cruising a lot, go for it. If you don't have the extra money I would find something else.

First, the OBC depends on the length of the cruise. If is $50, $100 or $250. Even if you don't take enough cruises to recoup the entire cost, even one cruise increases the chances of making money on the investment. In my case, the cruises I have booked for the next year will get us $1000 in OBC a shareholders.

We have a friend who did just that. Waited and waited and waited. Even at $19 he waited. So now he bought at $25. :rolleyes:

To each their own. Personally I would wait it out and see what happens. You do run the risk of it going up, staying the same or going lower.

Yes the OBC changes based on length of cruise and the $100 was just a sample. If you only get the $50 OBC each cruise it would take you 52 cruises and at the $250 OBC level it would take you roughly 10 cruises.

Not saying it is a good or a bad investment idea, everyone has to decide for themselves if it is worth it or not. For me at this time it is a no. I would rather keep my cash on hand and just take an extra $100 with me on the cruise.

To each their own. Personally I would wait it out and see what happens. You do run the risk of it going up, staying the same or going lower.

Yes the OBC changes based on length of cruise and the $100 was just a sample. If you only get the $50 OBC each cruise it would take you 52 cruises and at the $250 OBC level it would take you roughly 10 cruises.

Not saying it is a good or a bad investment idea, everyone has to decide for themselves if it is worth it or not. For me at this time it is a no. I would rather keep my cash on hand and just take an extra $100 with me on the cruise.

You don't cruise enough for it to make a difference. Those who do get lots of $$$ back very quickly. We average at least $100 per cruise; most times $250. We never get $50, because that would be for sailings of 6 days or less and that's something we've only done twice in our cruising lifetime.

You don't cruise enough for it to make a difference. Those who do get lots of $$$ back very quickly. We average at least $100 per cruise; most times $250. We never get $50, because that would be for sailings of 6 days or less and that's something we've only done twice in our cruising lifetime.

That is why I said:

Not saying it is a good or a bad investment idea, everyone has to decide for themselves if it is worth it or not. For me at this time it is a no.

For the average family cruising once or twice a year, your are better off saving your money.

That is why I said:

For the average family cruising once or twice a year, your are better off saving your money.

For an average family taking one or two cruises a year, they should look at purchasing Carnival Corporation stock only as an investment. The roughly $2500 cost of 100 shares would generate $100 in interest at 4%.

For an average family taking one or two cruises a year, they should look at purchasing Carnival Corporation stock only as an investment. The roughly $2500 cost of 100 shares would generate $100 in interest at 4%.

So where are you getting 4% interest Paul? If so, I'm gonna' put my $$$ there right now.

Just picking an interest rate that over time is a reasonable CD rate.

With the interest my bank is paying on my checking account, I won't get $100 this millenium

Actually, the only money we are making now is from CCL's OBC. ;)

Archived