How can Norwegian improve it's 'image'

Giantfan13

I wish NCL would develop a better relationship with TAs. I know my TA is put on hold for a long time when calling NCL on my behalf.

This might be. We travel as a group nd the relationship the TA has with the cruiseline often determines which one we use. They do not give the deals for groups like they used to. Not saying they should just stating a fact. We have cruised on different lines and come back to NCL. A lot of the time it has to do with their willingness to take back unbooked cabins without penalty. We're talking 2 months before the cruise.

Instead of constantly reminding everyone that they must right "exceeds expectations" on their comment cards, tell customers to be honest. Read the thoughts customers write on their cards as well as other correspondence, and answer it. Take phone calls.

After over 60 cruises with various lines including NCL in the past, our cruise with them this past January probably ranks as one of the worst cruises we have been on.

When we had a problem, we tried addressing it to the proper person on the ship. Their answer was "you need to write to the line after you get back home." I finally gave up onboard, and did attempt to contact them when we got back There was no response.

I have voiced my complaints on this board several times and obviously people get defensive since after all it is the NCL board.

Even carnival has worked hard to provide a better product, and as a result we are now sailing with them again. I did speak to representatives from carnival in the past and they apologized for any problems, and responded to my mail and even a phone call.

I find that almost every main stream line now offers Free-Style cruising, so they no longer have a monopoly on that.

Their failure to listen to what passengers are saying and telling everyone to be sure to say they exceeded expectations may result in NCL standing for N(o) C(ustomers) L(eft). The most assuredly have lost us and the other couple we were traveling with.

From my reading here, the answer is often NO!!

Lack of decent connecting flights, a job with NO latitude for returning late and numerous other factors often force cruisers into making a compromise with a leisurely departure because they have NO choice.

Same thing applies on deplaning airliners. Some people have arrived at their final destination with a loved one ready to meet and hug them, while others may have forty minutes to get themself and their carry-on two terminals away to the farthest gate in an airport with broken moving walkways.

A little compassion and understanding never hurt.

I see you've flown through DFW, too? ;)

From my reading here, the answer is often NO!!

Lack of decent connecting flights, a job with NO latitude for returning late and numerous other factors often force cruisers into making a compromise with a leisurely departure because they have NO choice.

Same thing applies on deplaning airliners. Some people have arrived at their final destination with a loved one ready to meet and hug them, while others may have forty minutes to get themself and their carry-on two terminals away to the farthest gate in an airport with broken moving walkways.

A little compassion and understanding never hurt.

I know there are people that have to travel out of NY when they get "back to reality." However, my statement was directed at the large percentage of people that are New Yorkers--that pack of 1500 or so people who cheer loudly when someone sings NY NY at Karaoke or when the CD or entertainer asks if there are any NYers in the house..... Those people, who DON'T have to rush off the boat to catch a plane, who DON'T have to be in a board meeting at 11:30am after debarking... these are the groups I'm talking about when I say RELAX and enjoy your last morning; and let the poor shlubs (*shrug* I don't know either, it was my grandmother's word) who DO have a flight to catch, or work to get to RUSH themselves off the boat. I'll be on the pool deck clinging to one of those fake palm trees and sipping my last margarita.

And I Thank You

JWK: Compassionate and Understanding and Pain Free :D

[

quote=Pianoman6582;19858873]I know there are people that have to travel out of NY when they get "back to reality." However, my statement was directed at the large percentage of people that are New Yorkers--that pack of 1500 or so people who cheer loudly when someone sings NY NY at Karaoke or when thI e CD or entertainer asks if there are any NYers in the house..... Those people, who DON'T have to rush off the boat to catch a plane, who DON'T have to be in a board meeting at 11:30am after debarking... these are the groups I'm talking about when I say RELAX and enjoy your last morning; and let the poor shlubs (*shrug* I don't know either, it was my grandmother's word) who DO have a flight to catch, or work to get to RUSH themselves off the boat. I'll be on the pool deck clinging to one of those fake palm trees and sipping my last margarita.

And I Thank You

JWK: Compassionate and Understanding and Pain Free :D

I got your point - surprised everyone didn't;)

Instead of constantly reminding everyone that they must right "exceeds expectations" on their comment cards, tell customers to be honest. Read the thoughts customers write on their cards as well as other correspondence, and answer it. Take phone calls.

After over 60 cruises with various lines including NCL in the past, our cruise with them this past January probably ranks as one of the worst cruises we have been on.

When we had a problem, we tried addressing it to the proper person on the ship. Their answer was "you need to write to the line after you get back home." I finally gave up onboard, and did attempt to contact them when we got back There was no response.

I have voiced my complaints on this board several times and obviously people get defensive since after all it is the NCL board.

Even carnival has worked hard to provide a better product, and as a result we are now sailing with them again. I did speak to representatives from carnival in the past and they apologized for any problems, and responded to my mail and even a phone call.

I find that almost every main stream line now offers Free-Style cruising, so they no longer have a monopoly on that.

Their failure to listen to what passengers are saying and telling everyone to be sure to say they exceeded expectations may result in NCL standing for N(o) C(ustomers) L(eft). The most assuredly have lost us and the other couple we were traveling with.

A couple of months a ago a person sailed Carnival and wrote about having the opposite experience. He posted his letters to the cruise line and the responses, which were basically "Too bad". He took Carnival air and their luggage didn't make it, the plane was late, he was charged for a tuxedo rental when it should have been discounted, etc.

If you look at all the cruise lines boards ( like I do), there will be plenty of people who swear to reservation people have no idea what they're doing and need training. At least once a month someone will have an issue on a ship and the home office can't/won't help them to their satisfaction.

For every 10 people who have a horrible time with what ever, hundreds will have the opposite experience. We are all different. What would not even be a blip on my radar would drive another person to distraction. I rave about NCL and, after 6 cruises on her, have no reason to change my mind. Some people start complaining about the cruise within the first 30 minutes (true story).

I like the food, I like the staff, I like the hull art, I don't care if they send or don't send Latitudes emails, I love the military discount, I'm fine with the specialty restaurants, I've never had a wait more than 15 minutes (only once) to eat in the main dining room, I believe the drink prices are in line with other cruise lines prices, I HAVE seen people win with paper cards at Bingo, I've never had issues with the phone reps-but that's just me ;)

C'est la Vie

I haven't read most of the responses here because after a glance at the first page, I just saw all of the same complaints being listed in a different format, and I'm getting really tired of responding to them. Don't get me wrong; I always have and always will believe that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I was just expecting something different from this thread. It appears on its surface to be about marketing, but all the responses I read were the same stuff about how to improve the product, as opposed to the 'image'.

That being said, obviously product has a lot to do with image, since word of mouth has and always will be the most powerful form of advertising. That leads to questions... What IS NCL's image? Does it really need improving?

To me, NCL's image is excellent. The word of mouth advertising they get from me and everyone I know is all good, and when I see their ads I think they're appealing. I absolutely do not want them to change their product!! NCL is perfect for my family just the way it is, so most of the changes I've seen suggested would be negative, in my opinion. I think people - myself included - tend to think that 'most' people see something as they do - so if you think NCL needs 'improving' it's natural to think others feel the same way, and hence that NCL's image isn't as good as it could be. As this thread - and so many others - illustrates, however, it's impossible to have a product that appeals to everyone - EVER.

The one thing I did see suggested that was in keeping with what I thought the thread was about were comments about the website. Personally I've had no more technical issues with it than a lot of other sites (has anyone ever tried to get on the CC boards late at night?), and I've always been able to find any information I was looking for, but I'm sure it could be improved.

CT

I think you got to the heart of what my original post was about. As I said later on, I just think I worded it wrong. Also, I never said there was anything wrong with NCL's 'image' I was just looking at ways of improving it to the general public and to it's cruisers. If people like yourself feel everything is absolutely great and NCL doesn't need enhancing, great. I also like NCL, but I was just thinking aloud about how they can maybe make the cruiser a bit happier, satisfied, or whatever when they leave the ship. I only suggest a couple of things that we had thought of, and I opened it up to the membership for other ways. I never inteneded it to be a 'air your grienvence' about NCL, but to some, all they need is a little push.

No matter how good a product is, it can always use some 'fine tuning' and my point was not to get something for nothing, as in a goodie bag when you leave the ship, but if you did have a good time, and NCL gave you a few things to wear or use after your cruise, I would think it would make many people happy to use them, and share their experiences with others.

Anyway, I felt it was a good idea, no matter what others may say. Free advertising never hurt any business.

CT

I think you got to the heart of what my original post was about. As I said later on, I just think I worded it wrong. Also, I never said there was anything wrong with NCL's 'image' I was just looking at ways of improving it to the general public and to it's cruisers. If people like yourself feel everything is absolutely great and NCL doesn't need enhancing, great. I also like NCL, but I was just thinking aloud about how they can maybe make the cruiser a bit happier, satisfied, or whatever when they leave the ship. I only suggest a couple of things that we had thought of, and I opened it up to the membership for other ways. I never inteneded it to be a 'air your grienvence' about NCL, but to some, all they need is a little push.

No matter how good a product is, it can always use some 'fine tuning' and my point was not to get something for nothing, as in a goodie bag when you leave the ship, but if you did have a good time, and NCL gave you a few things to wear or use after your cruise, I would think it would make many people happy to use them, and share their experiences with others.

Anyway, I felt it was a good idea, no matter what others may say. Free advertising never hurt any business.

I don't disagree, but it's a bit different for me, since I always disembark with goodies. I've gotten two different kinds of bags (ditty and tote), tee shirts, pens (nicer ones than in the cabin), frisbees, coozies (foam can holders), and the like. They always give away something for participation in the talent show, and the rest I've gotten from other activities, like pub crawls or the Quest game. My daughter also always gets a free tee shirt that they decorate on the last night of Kid's Crew. So we're advertising!! My daughter wears her tees much more than any of the other stuff gets seen, although I do pull out my collection of NCL plastic hurricane glasses in the summer (though I paid for those so they don't really count in this particular discussion). They're colorful, hold a good quantity of ice on a hot day, and they don't break if they fall on the patio!

I don't disagree, but it's a bit different for me, since I always disembark with goodies. I've gotten two different kinds of bags (ditty and tote), tee shirts, pens (nicer ones than in the cabin), frisbees, coozies (foam can holders), and the like. They always give away something for participation in the talent show, and the rest I've gotten from other activities, like pub crawls or the Quest game. My daughter also always gets a free tee shirt that they decorate on the last night of Kid's Crew. So we're advertising!! My daughter wears her tees much more than any of the other stuff gets seen, although I do pull out my collection of NCL plastic hurricane glasses in the summer (though I paid for those so they don't really count in this particular discussion). They're colorful, hold a good quantity of ice on a hot day, and they don't break if they fall on the patio!

Now I know what I'm gonna do with those NCL hurricane glasses; have to get them down and wash, perfect for outside! Thanks!:D

Just an aside, I saw you are under the weather, hope it's not as bad as you suggested it could be. :( Feel better!:)

I love NCL too and don't have any problems with their image.

OP, were you trying to say "how can NCL overcome the mistaken perception that it's not as good as the other lines"?

I think that time will be the only thing which will cure that mistake.

I'm quoting myself here, to an extent....but I really feel that the reason many habituées of other lines resent NCL is that NCL is effectively changing the cruising paradigm.

From the introduction of dining options, to the flexibility of the dress code, to the colorful interior & exteriors of the ships, to the removal of the tipping ritual through automatic collection.... NCL has led the evolution of cruising and since many of the other lines are following suit, NCL bears the brunt of resentment from traditionalists.

There are some who wish that every trip was like the first part of Titanic, as portrayed in the movie...with sumptuous woods, and lavish fabrics creating an air of opulence most usually seen in 'old boys' clubs'.

NCL has innovated and introduced a fresher, younger approach to cruising and has opened up the ocean to a wider variety of vacationers.

Waiting for the traditionalists to either give up, or continue aging until it doesn't matter anymore :rolleyes: is pretty much the only way to get them to stop begrudging the younger generation.

It's no coincidence that NCL has switched to Pepsi, the taste of the new generation (or translated into Chinese and back: Pepsi makes your ancestors come back to life).

:D

I am not sure what else NCL can do to market their image. Notice I did not say improve. T-shirts are a nice idea but a drop in the billions spent to date.

The have a very clear marketing focus to attack those that have never cruised before since only 17% of Americans have cruised and increase repeat passengers. They are not targeting those in love with traditional cruising but they are after those that hated it.

They have spent billions building the newest fleet and promote that.

Once the fleet was complete they launched Freestyle 2.0 for millions $. Upgraded bedding, food, and onboard experience to match the quality of the ships.

They actively promote and advertise freestyle and the lack of structure.

Some still complain but they have spent more millions upgrading the website bringing in outside talent. Anyone remember the old website or the the initial new website :eek: One more first for NCL they were the first with a website

They continue to get media exposure - the Apprentice (Jewel), Good Day NY (POAM), Oprah, Travel Channel, and most recently CNBC with the Pearl that Andy Stuart leveraged to get the marketing message out. All better then 10,000s of t-shirts.

A long way from the invisible rag tag fleet of little white ships with the Norway as the flag ship.

OP, were you trying to say "how can NCL overcome the mistaken perception that it's not as good as the other lines"?

I think that time will be the only thing which will cure that mistake.

I'm quoting myself here, to an extent....but I really feel that the reason many habituées of other lines resent NCL is that NCL is effectively changing the cruising paradigm.

From the introduction of dining options, to the flexibility of the dress code, to the colorful interior & exteriors of the ships, to the removal of the tipping ritual through automatic collection.... NCL has led the evolution of cruising and since many of the other lines are following suit, NCL bears the brunt of resentment from traditionalists.

There are some who wish that every trip was like the first part of Titanic, as portrayed in the movie...with sumptuous woods, and lavish fabrics creating an air of opulence most usually seen in 'old boys' clubs'.

NCL has innovated and introduced a fresher, younger approach to cruising and has opened up the ocean to a wider variety of vacationers.

Waiting for the traditionalists to either give up, or continue aging until it doesn't matter anymore :rolleyes: is pretty much the only way to get them to stop begrudging the younger generation.

It's no coincidence that NCL has switched to Pepsi, the taste of the new generation (or translated into Chinese and back: Pepsi makes your ancestors come back to life).

:D

Our ships are always full so I'd say there can't be TOO much of a misconception.:D

Now I know what I'm gonna do with those NCL hurricane glasses; have to get them down and wash, perfect for outside! Thanks!:D

Just an aside, I saw you are under the weather, hope it's not as bad as you suggested it could be. :( Feel better!:)

I love NCL too and don't have any problems with their image.

Thank you very much. My daughter attends a school that has been in our national news lately because 1/3 of the kids are out and a good portion of the teachers (6 the last time I heard) and as of this morning there are two confirmed cases of Swine Flu. Mine was one of the kids that was out, and I've got whatever she had. It feels like a nasty head cold with congestion, sneezing, and headache. Now, these symptoms ARE in the list for Swine Flu, so it might be or it might not be... it's a virus either way, so I'm doing everything I can do to deal with it. If it is Swine Flu, I think the only thing that makes it any different from 'normal' flus is that it's more contagious, but otherwise, I've had worse. :)

Back to the souvenir glasses - they are PERFECT for blender drinks! They're just insulated enough, they hold just the right amount to enjoy it before it melts, and there's a place to hold them at the bottom so they don't melt any faster than they have to! :)

Sjbdtz, I agree with you. I think you've hit the nail on the head about the image NCL is trying to promote and the reason people who don't like it feel that way. It's just one more thing that is so completely about perception and perspective - I think their marketing is very successful and they're portraying exactly what they want to - as evidenced by those who don't like it as much as those who do. I also think the idea that the perception is that they're 'not as good' as other lines is about perspective as well. As with many things, 'good' is relative. I guarantee that for many, NCL is the 'better' line because they give people the freedom to choose for themselves - whether or not to dress up, whether or not to dine at the specialties, whether or not to vacate their cabin at 7am on disembarkation day... I don't imagine I have to actually state that I'm one of them? :p

I just returned from a NCL cruise to Alaska and had a wonderful time but wish the food was a little better and more choices in the dining room. We went with a group of 60 and just about everyone felt the same as we did about the food, not awful just not delicious. Other than the food we had a wonderful time. I loved the coffee pot in the room what a wonderful idea. I loved the sliding glass door in the shower and separate toilet room as well. The balcony siding door was so much appreciated taking the continual slamming doors on carnival's especially if there are children next door. Carnival seems more open and airy but NCL is tastefuly decorated. The shows were good and the staff very nice.

More choices in the regular dining, and maybe menu changes every few days in the specialty dining. A little more clean, but that could have been the ship itself. We found that if we waited to eat dinner until after 9pm, the regular dining and buffet was closed. Also, most of the specialty restaurants were not getting reservations, so they were closing up around that time. This resulted in Blue Lagoon or room service, both of which are very limited. Something we had to get used to from other lines where full buffets are offered 24hrs. Still small stuff.

More choices in the regular dining, and maybe menu changes every few days in the specialty dining. A little more clean, but that could have been the ship itself. We found that if we waited to eat dinner until after 9pm, the regular dining and buffet was closed. Also, most of the specialty restaurants were not getting reservations, so they were closing up around that time. This resulted in Blue Lagoon or room service, both of which are very limited. Something we had to get used to from other lines where full buffets are offered 24hrs. Still small stuff.

That is strange. I have almost never eaten before 9 PM on an NCL ship. At least one main dining room stays open to seat passengers until 10 PM. I have made dozens of reservation in the specialty venus after 9 as well. The buffet on the Gem in Feb did not close until 10:30 :confused:

On my last NCL cruise, I was ticked off at a 25% price decrease the day after I made my full payment. I made mention of that on my evaluation card, saying it was a wonderful cruise but I'd never pay in advance again. I got an email response a few days after the cruise responding to my comment. I send a second email with similar whining on my part and NCL responded promptly to that complaint as well.

I'm just saying that they someone there does read the evaluation cards and does respond to them. Maybe not all of them, but in my case they did.

We've been cruising for over 20 years, and have sailed on NCL, Royal Caribbean, Carnival, Celebrity, Azamara, Cunard, Holland America and Royal Viking (and maybe one or two thers I've forgotten) and we've never been on a ship that offered "full buffets 24 hrs." Would you care to identify which lines offer that? Maybe there are some, but we've never seen it.

I'd also like to confirm "time2cruise1" 's comment....there have always been dining rooms open past 9m on the NCL ships we've been on.

1. revamp NCL's land based customer service--which is poor with no knowledge about the ships at sea or lack of knowledge on specials etc.

2. provide a dedicated latitudes customer service desk with phone for latitude

members.

3. Hire some one to get their web site up to first class and user friendly.

4. enforce their policies or change them in the dress code area for cruisers.

5. send out more information to their latitude members via email or mail.

not only to clients who just use NCL PCCs.

Big Green

Totally agree with 1,2,3 & 5.

I think it is embarassing when you go to the on-board cruise consultant and I know more than they do about their ships and itineraries. Heck, how hard is it to know it all with the few ships that NCL has in its fleet.

What is your point with #4 - dress code?

• 2 weeks later...
1. revamp NCL's land based customer service--which is poor with no knowledge about the ships at sea or lack of knowledge on specials etc.

2. provide a dedicated latitudes customer service desk with phone for latitude

members.

3. Hire some one to get their web site up to first class and user friendly.

4. enforce their policies or change them in the dress code area for cruisers.

5. send out more information to their latitude members via email or mail.

not only to clients who just use NCL PCCs.

Big Green

Yes, the dreaded NCL website! Model it after Carnival's and you have a winner.

We've been cruising for over 20 years, and have sailed on NCL, Royal Caribbean, Carnival, Celebrity, Azamara, Cunard, Holland America and Royal Viking (and maybe one or two thers I've forgotten) and we've never been on a ship that offered "full buffets 24 hrs." Would you care to identify which lines offer that? Maybe there are some, but we've never seen it.

I'd also like to confirm "time2cruise1" 's comment....there have always been dining rooms open past 9m on the NCL ships we've been on.

24 hour room service is all I've seen. I've never seen 24 hour buffets!

On my last NCL cruise, I was ticked off at a 25% price decrease the day after I made my full payment. I made mention of that on my evaluation card, saying it was a wonderful cruise but I'd never pay in advance again. I got an email response a few days after the cruise responding to my comment. I send a second email with similar whining on my part and NCL responded promptly to that complaint as well.

I'm just saying that they someone there does read the evaluation cards and does respond to them. Maybe not all of them, but in my case they did.

I don't understand how you can be mad. When you booked the cruise, you thought you paid a fair price. It's the same with the airline industry. People pay all sorts of different amounts. It's all about yield management.

Archived