Changing of the Guard

We would like to see this at Buckingham Palace. from what I've read on the web site for this, in July and August, the Guard doesn't change every day, but on alternate days. But when does it start?? Is it on even days, odd days. We would like to book a tour of Buckingham Palace, and would hope to incorporate the Guard Changing with that, but without knowing what days they are there, makes it harder to book a tour. I tried to email the address that was on the web site, but it has been over a week and no answer. Is there a standard days of operation for this, as maybe has been in past years?? Some one told me that the Guard changes on even numbered days, but he isn't a reliable source. Any knowledge of this???

In July its daily and in August alternate days (odd numbers) according to the Queens web site and daily according to the British Army who actually perform the ceremony.

Whatever its always at 11:30.

To be honest, Changing of the Guard is one of the main tourist traps of London (in my opinion). You will probably see very little, there will be big crowds and what you do see will probably be underwhelming.

Unless having the backdrop of Buckingham Palace is important to you then there is a much a better Changing of the Guard at Horseguards on the other side of St James Park.

The crowds are much thinner, there are no palace railings in the way and you can get within inches of the guards and horses. This runs at 11:00, (10:00 on Sundays)

If you visit Windsor Castle there is another Changing of the Guard there at 11:00 which also has fare less crowds within the Castle and you can observe the ceromony casually with afull close up views.

We would like to see this at Buckingham Palace. from what I've read on the web site for this, in July and August, the Guard doesn't change every day, but on alternate days. But when does it start?? Is it on even days, odd days.
The only website I can find that is specific about the provisional schedule for August 2009 says that it will be odd-numbered days. See here. You will probably have to check back closer to the time that you come for confirmation. It's daily throughout July.

So I read someplace that you needed to get tickets for Buckingham Palace in advance, but the ticket sight states that it's only open from July 26th through September 30th. So if we're going in early July, is the only thing we'll be able to see the changing of the guard?

Buckingham Palace is normally not open to the public. It's a working building. So normally, you can only see whatever you can see from outside, which is primarily the changing of the guard.

But during the summer, when the building is not being used (when the Queen is away), part of the building has been opened to the public. It's for that period that you can get tickets to see that part of the building.

Thank you once again handfordr and Globaliser. Your knowledge is without a doubt, endless.

The odd days are much better for us anyway. As far the Changing of the Horse Guard, does that fall under the same sort of schedule, every other day, weather permitting?? Is this a separate ceremony or is it incorporatied into the other Changing of the Guard by the Palace.

We do plan on doing that 3 stop tour to Windsor, Bath and Stonehedge. Do most of these tours see the Changing of the Guard at Windsor??? And if so, is the ceremony about the same as Buckingham Palace, only with better views??

As I said once, I was in London several times many years ago, while I was in the service. I saw the Guard changing a couple of times, but it was always in winter where they wore their grey tunnics, and never in the red. I am looking forward to this. yes, we know it is touristy, but hey, we are the tourists, and what would folks think back home if we didn't have a picture of the Changing of the Guard.

On a side note, if you have any knowledge of other countries Changing Guards. We are on the Baltic cruise and will visit Copenhagen, Stockholm and Helsinki where I also believe they have ceremonies for Changing of the Guards. How do these 'shows' compare to the Britiish version??

I would suggest from our experience to get there early if you want to see much. We got there about a 1/2 hour before and managed to get two spots at the fence on the side of the area that event occurs. More and more people kept showing up and trying to crowd us out of our spot but I can elbow with the best of them so we were able to get some pictures.

All in all I suspect I wouldn't go out of my way to do it again. Basically it is a military changing of guard with a lot of extra ceremony thrown in. Given you likely will not have a perfect viewing or picture taking spot, you probably can spend the hour and a half or so that you can spend doing something else more interesting in London.

Anyway that is my opinion.

Have a great visit to London no matter what you decide to do.

We do plan on doing that 3 stop tour to Windsor, Bath and Stonehedge. Do most of these tours see the Changing of the Guard at Windsor??? And if so, is the ceremony about the same as Buckingham Palace, only with better views??

Changing of the Guard at Windsor is much less crowded and pleasurable than Buckingham Palace. However if you're going on a Windsor/Stonehenge/ Bath tour below are the schedules of 2 of the operators Evan Evans and Premium.

You really need a minimum of 90 minutes to see the Castle and there is a 5/10 minute walk from the coach park to the Castle.

Changing of the Guard at Windsor lasts from 11:00 to 11:30 about

Evans Evans

Leave London (VCS) @ 09:00

Arrive @ Windsor @ 10:00

Leave Windsor @ 12:00

Arrive Stonehenge @ 13:10

Depart Stonehenge @ 14:00

Arrive Bath @ 15:15

Depart Bath @ 17:00

Arrive London @ 19:30

Premium

08:15 Depart Victoria Coach Station Gate 6

09:30-45 Arrive Windsor Castle

11:40 Depart Windsor

13:00 Optional Lunch at traditional British pub

14:00 Leave pub

14:20 Arrive Stonehenge

15:10 Depart Stonehenge

16:10 Arrive Bath - Panoramic tour

16:15 Enter Roman Baths

Free time

18:00 Depart Bath

approx. 20:30 Arrive London

To be honest, Changing of the Guard is one of the main tourist traps of London (in my opinion). You will probably see very little, there will be big crowds and what you do see will probably be underwhelming.

Unless having the backdrop of Buckingham Palace is important to you then there is a much a better Changing of the Guard at Horseguards on the other side of St James Park.

The crowds are much thinner, there are no palace railings in the way and you can get within inches of the guards and horses. This runs at 11:00, (10:00 on Sundays)

I would love to see the Changing of the Horseguards. Could you tell me at what time it is at and what tube station is the closest?

I would love to see the Changing of the Horseguards. Could you tell me at what time it is at and what tube station is the closest?

This site gives details of all the Guard changes including St James and Horse Guards.

If you open the Pdf documents in the top right the current arrangements are published. There is also a list of the ceremonial events.

http://www.army.mod.uk/events/ceremonial/1068.aspx

This site gives details of all the Guard changes including St James and Horse Guards.

If you open the Pdf documents in the top right the current arrangements are published. There is also a list of the ceremonial events.

http://www.army.mod.uk/events/ceremonial/1068.aspx

Thank you. The site was very informative. I now know at what times to go. But I still don't know where it takes place. Do you?

Thank you. The site was very informative. I now know at what times to go. But I still don't know where it takes place. Do you?

The Guard is mounted on Whitehall, which is right next to Downing Street, close to the Parliament building. The whole area is Westminster and it is easy to do a walk which will include Buckingham Palace, down the Mall or through the park, crossing through Horse Guards Parade (where the Trooping of the Colour takes place) into the gateway where the guard is mounted, then onto Whitehall, past 10 Downing Street, onto the Houses of Parliament and Westminster Abbey. You could then walk across the Westminster Bridge to the South Bank and the London Eye. Alternatively you could take a river trip from Westminster Pier along to Tower Bridge / Tower of London/ St Paul's Cathedral or just stay on for the circular journey, the river trip takes about an hour roundtrip.

I suggest that you look on Google Earth or Google Maps to see how close these particular sights are

Westminster is the closest tube station. There are enough sights within a half mile of Horse Guards to keep a tourist busy for weeks. Tony gave you a couple of walk ideas. Rick Steves details another good Westminster Walk in his London guidebook.

This link may work to a map of Horse Guards Parade: http://world.maporama.com/drawaddress.aspx?GC_address=HORSE%20GUARDS%20PARADE&JsEnable=1&GC_city=LONDON&GC_cityCode=33285&GC_zip=SW1A%202&GC_country=UK&xml=map&xsl=map&MD_scale=0.0002&MD_scaleMode=0&sessionid=5f4ce171-fd25-4323-b950-b8bc2b573437&MD_mapTemplate=maporama_asia&MD_zoomToFit=1&MD_size=600x400&GC_addressCode=2178316

If the link does not work, enter Horse Guards Parade, London, and UK into the form at maporama.

Where does the Horse Guards ceremony begin and end?? Is it that they ride down a certain street, likle from start to finish???

They don't go anywhere - the ceremony is the Changing Guard.

The new set of guards arrive and change places with the incumbents who then leave.

Its not a parade along a route.

All the action is at Horse Guards .

Its really quite unmissable along Whitehall where there are two sentry boxes on Whitehall itself guarding the gates into HorseGuards. There is always a crowd around these guards at all times of day as the Guards stand to attention in full dress uniform.

The ceremony takes place just behind these.

Archived