Paul Gauguin or Pacific Princess?

Have never sailed Regent before; some of the rates for the Paul Gauguin are nearly at the rate Princess is charging for a Tahiti sojourn. Aside from the obvious (PG includes gratuities & beverages), please comment on any differences one way or another? Any problems, service-wise with this being the last season for PG with Regent? Thanks for any help/comments!

The first thing I think of is the difference in the size of the ships. The PG holds 332 passengers while the Pacific Princess holds 680. The smaller PG makes getting on and off the ship a lot easier (not waiting in lines, etc.)

Most of the suites on the PG have balconies -- they are 239 sq. ft. (incl. balcony). The Pacific Princess had indoor staterooms that are fairly small (158 sq. ft.) while the staterooms with balconies are 216 sq. ft. (incl. balcony). Even 20 sq. ft. more makes a difference.

The PG has a water sports platform from which you can windsurf or kayak.

You mentioned the obvious difference of drinks and tipping. One positive that you may not think of is how carefree the all-inclusive experience is. You do not need to think about anything -- order a drink at the bar, the pool, etc. You do not have to sign for anything. Need snorkel gear? Go down to the water sports platform and pick up what you need. Keep it in your suite so you can use it for the duration of your cruise.

I am not certain whether or not the Pacific Princess has set seating (generally Princess does). Having open seating where you can sit with others (or not) is great!

Obviously, I love the PG. I would have no concerns about the upcoming transfer of management. Regent will continue to operate the ship as it has for several years. Once the take over happens, I know that they will try to keep the standards as they are now. Only time will tell what the long term future of the PG will be.

One thing I really love about the PG is the country club casual. The south pacific is not the place for gowns and tuxes.

The other is the staff. They are fantastic. I have been on a number of cruises and in some very exclusive hotels but on the PG I find the staff warm instead of being obsequious.

There are a few other considerations. On the Pacific Princess you will likely have to take a Motu tour . On the PG there are a couple of them- the Motu Picnic and the Bora Bora motu.

These are the times when you never feel the push of the crowds like you do on the larger ships. More than once we have been alone in the tender.

I also really like the cruise director Dion and hope she will be on board for my November trip.

The Motu day and Bora Bora beach day are free on the PG

the snorkel gear is free.

Now if you are thinking of using Regent air package and you have to go early any hotels

and transportation are included in the price.

You can't compare the two. The food, the ambiance, the motu day....the number of children, the dive/snorkel staff, the luxury. Worth it! I love the R ships, having cruised on two of them with Oceania. But the PG is a much better ship for Tahiti. It was built for the islands. By the time you pay for all the extras on Princess, it will cost you as much if not more.

Don't forget the absence of crowds and lines on the PG vs. the PP. Ships have passenger to space ratios, showing how much private and public space is available per passenger -- the higher the number the less crowded. THE PG's ratio is 58. The PP's ratio is 42.

Remember two that the PG is a shallower draft ship, meaning it can anchor closer to shore than the PP for less time wasted in tendering.

I agree with the previous comments and would like to add one more comment. In general, I find the passengers to be more interesting on the PG. I realize that this is a very personal comment but it is true. We will be taking our 4th PG cruise in 4 years this November.

French Polynesia is beautiful and you will enjoy it no matter which line you choose.

Archived