NCL Liquor rule

Bazzgurl26

I did this on a cruise a few years back and rinsed out the bottle numerous times to find out that the liquor still ended up tasting like shampoo! I prob was juts too stupid to realize that you should put a pastic baggie in first, then add the liquor LOL IMO, it would get right past the x-ray

If you put the bottle in your dishwasher and have it go through every wash cycle for a few weeks before your cruise, believe me, there will be no shampoo residue left! :D

Carnival allows only one bottle of wine and then only at embarkation. Further, they charge a corkage fee unless it is consumed in cabin. While one could save $15 over the NCL policy, you don't have the flexibility to bring more than one bottle on board. Carnival does not allow hard liquor to be brought on board.

Our experience is probably not typical, but here is what happened.

We brought in seperate carryon and paid corkage fees for 6 bottles. These bottles were NOT inspected. They were wine, but they could have been hard liquor.

At the last minute, we left New Orleans with a six pack of cans, and a six pax of bottles. We seperated them and packed them individually. We also had a six Snapple bottles. Two were not filled with Snapple. All of our luggage arrived at our cabin. One was tagged with a liquor, but it was still delivered.

Where do you go to get a written version of NCL's liquor policy? I've looked on their web site and it says nothing can be brought on board, yet in this thread folks are saying that wine and beer are allowed.

With three stops in Italy, I'd sure like to buy wine while at port and have it in my cabin.

You've found the written policy. The "un-written-way-it-is" is wine is fine as long as you pay $15 corkage, whether it be at embarkation or returning from ports.

Beer is not allowed to be brought on the ship at any time to consume. However, they'll be happy to keep it for you until the end of the cruise.

Where do you go to get a written version of NCL's liquor policy? I've looked on their web site and it says nothing can be brought on board, yet in this thread folks are saying that wine and beer are allowed.

With three stops in Italy, I'd sure like to buy wine while at port and have it in my cabin.

You really should trust the folks here that have done this, many times.

Any official policy may well tell you NOTHING is allowed.

NCL is fanatical in their desire to separate you from your carryon liquor.

I thought I had the perfect hiding places for my booze, but alas, NCL is very crafty.

For example, last cruise, I had a special made tube full of vodka hidden in the barrels of my shotguns.

When the bag arrived at my room, the tube was gone!

So were the mini bottles that I had hidden in the ammo chambers of my other guns.

At least they did not damage my guns.

I was amazed.

Anyway - the other post disappeared - I was thinking about all the arguments - pro and con against smuggling. I did not smuggle on my most recent Gem cruise (5/31/09 and it was fabulous! ordered an in room bar set-up $63 for Gin). But we need to consider everyone's circumstances - we are in a dire economic situation - people are losing their jobs, maybe both in a family. Maybe some of these people need a break - a vacation and they are stretching to get on an NCL cruise. Also, NCL wants to sail all there cruises at 100% or more (3 and 4 to a room makes it go beyond 100%). Would NCL be better off that these rooms went unsold? Would this help cruise rates? I think NCL is very financially savvy and their models build into people who don't drink - for whatever reason. Tolerance.

The exact arguments - times are tough - could be used to excuse lifting a pack of cigarettes from a rack in a drugstore or driving off without paying for gas when you fill your car.

The exact arguments - times are tough - could be used to excuse lifting a pack of cigarettes from a rack in a drugstore or driving off without paying for gas when you fill your car.

Now that's interesting!

So I know NCL has the No bringing any Hard Liquor aboard the ship, However... Do they really check your luggage? If I were to get some of the tiny bottles of Hard liquor and hide them in my bag would they check and take them out?? Just curious. I dont mind spending the money to buy drinks but sometimes they get wicked expensive.

lets put it this way, we had a 1/2 pint bottle of Jim Beam on our Spirit cruise last DEc, yes, it got detected and we were called to the "naughty room" I have always said "don't do it" and we always buy a bar set up but this time we had spent a couple of nights in NOLA and that little guy was left over. We learned our lesson, practice what you preach.

Nita lol

Quite Frankly, it's a little bizarre that NCL is the ONLY cruiseiine that does this. all others that's I've been on - you could bring 2 bottles of wine each - with no corkage fee - unless you wanted it in the dining room.

sorry, go to the other forums, this isn't true..I do not like the policy any better than anyone else, but not all lines allow you to bring 2 bottles on, some are cracking down and some don't even offer pre ordered bar set ups, plus I believe the OP asked about hard liquor not wine..

Yatzee, I will tell you one thing: Disney charges about 2 times more for a cruise than mass marketed lines.

Nita

If you are sitting with a parent there are probably not going to do anything. If you are alone or with other 20 somethings they may do something.

Are you likely to get thrown off the ship? No. Get your drinking privileges taken away? Possibly. Break the ships rules if you want but be aware that there might be consequences.

If you want hard liquor (BTW most 19 yo that I know prefer beer anyway) drink ashore and drink beer and wine on the ship. That way you break no laws or rules.

No, even with parents he will not be allowed to drink. The sign and sail cards are geared to legal age. There may be a few exceptions when the wait staff will turn thier back if mom or dad does the ordering, but basically NCL is very careful about this...

Nita

I have been on Royal Carribean, Carnival, and NCL...all of which I have taken a small amount of hard liqour on board and have not had any of it taken to a "holding cell". We have taken it on at the start of the cruise as well as purchased in port and taken it on board. There are ways around the cruise line's policy...think creatively!! LOL

You really should trust the folks here that have done this, many times.

Any official policy may well tell you NOTHING is allowed.

They would have taken ours in Portugal...but we just said it was olive oil and on we went! :p

So I know NCL has the No bringing any Hard Liquor aboard the ship, However... Do they really check your luggage? If I were to get some of the tiny bottles of Hard liquor and hide them in my bag would they check and take them out?? Just curious. I dont mind spending the money to buy drinks but sometimes they get wicked expensive.

They do check but dont catch everyone. They hold it for last night pick up if you get caught. If your luggage is late, trust me, you will get caught :(

NCL is fanatical in their desire to separate you from your carryon liquor.

I thought I had the perfect hiding places for my booze, but alas, NCL is very crafty.

For example, last cruise, I had a special made tube full of vodka hidden in the barrels of my shotguns.

When the bag arrived at my room, the tube was gone!

So were the mini bottles that I had hidden in the ammo chambers of my other guns.

At least they did not damage my guns.

I was amazed.

WHAT!! WHAT!! This is a joke right?? Guns onboard I mean.

the ncl policy is 18-20 can drink beer but 21+ for liquer, im 19 and will be cruising with my dad and would prefer liquer are they going to enforce this?

You do realize you dad must sign a release for you drink beer and wine you won't be automatically allowed to do it.

The fact is the ship has a massive amount of checked luggage to process in a short amount of time. All they can afford to do is put it through an X-ray and tag it if anything looks suspicious.

So, it stands to reason that if you do not pack anthing looking suspicious, they won't have any reason to tag your bag.

I have smuggled plenty of liquor on, and wine too, always in an alternative container. Not a bottle, like a water or shampoo bottle (who brings a liter of shampoo or mouthwash for a week's cruise, anyway?)

If you are creative you will have no problem getting past the detection. And there is some satisfaction that you have beaten a system which should not be there in the first place.

I agree 100% that it is wrong to bring your own drinks to a bar. But is the entire ship a bar? If you consume in your cabin, is that a problem? I know of no hotel which sells liquor in the bar but prohibits you from bringing your own liquor to your room. How could they?

Alcohol is a huge money maker for the cruise line, and they want to maximize profit while keeping fares low. That penalizes paying drinkers and helps everyone else, including smugglers. I say, they should just charge a bit more for the fare.

That statement makes no sense... but I'm not surprised.

To say the least.:D

haha my dads offerin to switch his beer for my booze if they wont give me liquer

OK Whitey....if they won't give you liquor, your dad would be switching his beer for what...wine? Why wouldn't your dad have the wine to begin with rather than play musical drinks?:confused:

Archived