Paris for the day

As I said in a previous post, we are taking the Eurostar to Paris for a one day venture. Yes, I know you cannot see Paris in one day, but we will do our best.

My question is, is there a way I should 'attack' this?? I've read about the hop on, hop off bus, the hop on, hop off cruise, walking, riding etc. When we get off the Eurostar, is there a better way of seeing what we need to see??. Like, where should we start??Also, we will be going on a Sunday, so will there be huge lines at the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre etc around mid day. We should be there from about 12-8, should we try and walk around a bit and then try for the better sites a bit later in the day??

And one more thing, are there any sort of 2fers in Paris?? Is there a card or something you can buy that will get you admission to some of the venues at a reduced price or a 2 for 1 deal??

1. Option:

Go to the metro station at Gare du Nord and buy the

Paris Visite Pass

all day transport plus discounts on

http://www.ratp.info/touristes/index.php?langue=en&rub=decouvrir&cat=paris-visite&page=avantages

and

2. Option

follow this guide book:

http://en.parisinfo.com/press-and-travel-trade-information-centre-/paris-for-you-2008-2009/

Regards,

HeinBloed

Heinbloed

When we get to Paris at Gare du Nord, where do we go to get to the Batobus, like at the Eiffel Tower. My wife likes this idea very much, so how would we go about getting there, and is this the best place to start??

Heinbloed

When we get to Paris at Gare du Nord, where do we go to get to the Batobus, like at the Eiffel Tower. My wife likes this idea very much, so how would we go about getting there, and is this the best place to start??

I would do it there:

you can see the queues of the Eiffel Tower and THEN can decide to skip or to wait.

If you do Eiffel Tower the last you may not have anymore options.

http://www.ratp.info/orienter/plan_metro_pdf.php

My order of the visits:

I would start to use the Subway (Metro) Route 2 from La Chapelle (connected to Gare du Nord) to Anvers.

Go first to Sacré-Coeur on Montmatre...

then continue to Place Charles de Gaulle-Étoile to see Triumph Arc. You need anyway to change the subway there to Route 6.

and then get off Trocadéro.

From here it's the most beautiful walk over to Champs de Mars to the Eiffel Tower.

If you are here and it's very long to wait you can skip without major regret the Eiffel Tower because you see already the beautiful view from Montmatre.

So you saw something and still have all options.

That would be my personal way for the day in Paris.

Regards,

HeinBloed

I would do it there:

you can see the queues of the Eiffel Tower and THEN can decide to skip or to wait.

If you do Eiffel Tower the last you may not have anymore options.

http://www.ratp.info/orienter/plan_metro_pdf.php

My order of the visits:

I would start to use the Subway (Metro) Route 2 from La Chapelle (connected to Gare du Nord.) to Anvers.

Go first to Sacré-Coeur on Montmatre...

then continue to Place Charles de Gaulle-Étoile to see Triumph Arc. You need anyway to change the subway there to Route 6.

and then get off Trocadéro.

From here it's the most beautiful walk over to Champs de Mars to the Eiffel Tower.

If you are here and it's very long to wait you can skip without major regret the Eiffel Tower because you see already the beautiful view from Montmatre.

So you saw something and still have all options.

That would be my personal way for the day in Paris.

Regards,

HeinBloed

It sounds like a good plan. If I understand your correctly, When arriving at Gare du Nord, I get the metro to Anvers which will take me to Sacré-Coeur. From here I am getting back on the #2 line to the Arc De Triumph. From there I am switching to the #6 line for another short ride to Trocadéro. And from there I am walking the rest of the way. Correct???

How far a walk would it be from the Arc De Triumph to the Eiffel Tower if we wanted to do it that way??.

And when we need to get back to Gare du Nord what would be the fastest or easiest way to do that from any of the batobus stops??

It sounds like a good plan. If I understand your correctly, When arriving at Gare du Nord, I get the metro to Anvers which will take me to Sacré-Coeur. From here I am getting back on the #2 line to the Arc De Triumph. From there I am switching to the #6 line for another short ride to Trocadéro. And from there I am walking the rest of the way. Correct???

How far a walk would it be from the Arc De Triumph to the Eiffel Tower if we wanted to do it that way??.

And when we need to get back to Gare du Nord what would be the fastest or easiest way to do that from any of the batobus stops??

Gare du Nord/La Chapelle to Anvers = Metro

Anvers to Funiculaire/Rope Car = Walk

Funiculaire/Rope Car to Montmatre/Sacré Coeur by Funiculaire/Rope Car

same way back but I would walk to Place Pigalle that you see more instead of same way back

Pigalle to Charles de Gaulle/Étoile = Metro

Arc de Triomphe

You can walk all way down on Avenue Kléber to Place Trocadéro but I am sure you will walk so much that you might appreciate the walk there.

You can do it: about 15-20 minutes but from here you have about 15 minutes to Eiffel Tower.

I would go to Louvre and walk to Châtelet-Les Halles. From here you have the commuter trains (RER) and Metro Route 4 to get back quickly to Gare du Nord.

Regards

HeinBloed

Excellent, my friend. thank you so much for the great plan.

One last thought. would YOU recommend that hop on hop off boat??. As I said, my wife thinks it's a great idea, but I trust in your judgement. Also, if we wanted to stay on the boat for the entire loop, about how long would that take, just to get an idea of time and distance??

Excellent, my friend. thank you so much for the great plan.

One last thought. would YOU recommend that hop on hop off boat??. As I said, my wife thinks it's a great idea, but I trust in your judgement. Also, if we wanted to stay on the boat for the entire loop, about how long would that take, just to get an idea of time and distance??

YES - without doubt and I will do it again in June 2010 when we are overnight in Le Havre on INDEPENDENCE OF THE SEAS. And due to the overnight stay I want to see the loving couples from a river cruise ship like Audrey Hepburn and Cary Grant did it in "Charade".

I wish I would find my Paris-Pictures but this was my pre-cruise-area so somewhere lost in space...

And I think for you it's perfect NOT to do the whole loop and start from

Eiffel Tower and get off at Louvre:

1. You save time...

2. You do not have the section double as it is a river... on the most important section of no double route (around Île de Cité with Notre-Dame) you are onboard

http://www.batobus.com/english/

I love canal, river and waterfront cruises in all places of the world.

It's fast enough that you can see a lot... (quantity of places to see)

It's slow enough that you can see a lot... (quality of places to see)

So I did it

in Berlin, Amsterdam, Hamburg, New York, Cleveland, Barcelona, Chicago etc. etc.

but

BATOBUS in Paris is one of my favorite tours in one of my favorite place on the world.

http://www.batobus.com/english/images/GUIDE-HORAIRE.pdf

Every time I look down on this timeless town

whether blue or gray be her skies.

Whether loud be her cheers or soft be her tears,

more and more do I realize:

I love Paris in the springtime.

I love Paris in the fall.

I love Paris in the winter when it drizzles,

I love Paris in the summer when it sizzles.

I love Paris every moment,

every moment of the year.

I love Paris, why, oh why do I love Paris?

Because my love is near.

Bon voyage!!!

HeinBloed

Hello Friends,

We are an American family of 4 (children aged 10 and 12) considering taking the Eurostar from London to Paris for a one day tour. Two questions:

1) Is it worth it?

2) What day is best this August? Thursday, Friday, or Saturday? or does it matter?

Thanks for any advice that you have!

Tom & Alisa

Hello Friends,

We are an American family of 4 (children aged 10 and 12) considering taking the Eurostar from London to Paris for a one day tour. Two questions:

1) Is it worth it?

Depends to your expectations.

2) What day is best this August? Thursday, Friday, or Saturday? or does it matter?

None - August is the month where the majority of the Parisiens are on vacation. The city is "calmer" which also means that maybe some interesting restaurants or other spots are closed.

It's the same like going to Disneyworld...

if you are going on a weekday you have the business traffic/rush hour but more spaces at the attractions

if you are going on a weekend it's calmer on the streets and busier at the tourist spots

But Paris is more or less open round the hour - you can come at any time in Paris.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Hello Friends,

1) Is it worth it?

Thanks for any advice that you have!

Tom & Alisa

IrishBear

We are doing it because it may be our only chance to see Paris. I have been before, but that was 45 years ago, when I was a young man, in the Air Force, stationed in Germany. When we went to Paris then, we were looking for different things than when I am going now.

As many have said, it is hard to see Paris in a week, let alone a day, but if some one told you you can go to Paris for $200 and some odd dollars for the day, I would jump at it.

If you think you might never be back, then go for it, you and your family will have a great time. I am even excited about riding the eurostar.

Archived