Freeport Excursions

TonyCruise

Hi,

I am taking my first cruise next April with my wife and 2 teenage children. I am booked on Carnival Fantasy from Port Canaveral to Freeport and Nassau (4 days). I have a question about shore excursions in Freeport. I would like to plan a trip to a beach where my wife can sit in the sun and have a beverage and the kids and I can snorkel from the beach (my wife does not swim). I am looking into the Carnival excursions but I am leaning toward booking my own tour.

I found a place called Paradise Cove Beach Resort which is supposed to have good snorkeling and a beach - it is near Deadman's Reef. Has anyone ever been to Paradise Cove? I would love to hear your opinions.

Also, we would have to take a taxi to this resort if we go. I have never been to the Bahamas, are the taxis pretty safe/honest? Also are they reliable? If they tell you they will meet you at a specific time to return to the cruise port, will they be there?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Tony.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

We're on the Carnival Sensation 4 day cruise Sept 2007 and I'm looking for the answer to the same question. We'll be in port from 8am to 5pm.

Has anyone made the run out to Paradise Cove from the cruise docks recently that can share some transportation advice?

I've also got the same question...wanting to head out there when we dock in July.

I just received an email back from the folks at Paradise Cove. They've confirmed the older data I've read elsewhere:

Yes, you can arrange a taxi round-trip when you arrive at the cruise docks.

Yes, the cab fare to PC is pricey, so buddy up or pay up. ~$80 round trip is what I'm hearing.

We're going to play this by ear, if the weather cooperates the day we're in Freeport, some local cabbie makes $90 or so, and PC gets another $100 or so from the 3 of us for kayaks, lunch, drinks, snorkel rental etc. If the weather stinks we save the $$ for Stuart's Cove on Nassau.

I'll post a review if we go.

I finally figured out the reason for the widely different prices for taxi's to Deadman's Reef / Paradise Cove.

The $80 round trip price for three people I mentioned is for a trip from Freeport to Paradise Cove r/t.

Lucayan Harbour (where the cruise ships dock) is closer to Paradise Cove, so the $16~$20 pp r/t price I also heard makes more sense now.

• 5 weeks later...

My wife and I spent a great day at Paradise Cove during our cruise on the Carnival Liberty. Apparently most people come by taxi but we had contacted the owner and made arrangements to be picked up ($35 each for transportation, snorkeling equipment and lunch). We had to walk outside of the main gate but that was only 100 yards from the ship. The beach was far from croweded, the water was smooth nd we saw a lot of coral and fish. We made a 1/2 mile loop around the off-shore islands / reef which took 2 hours and then relaxed on the beach until it was time to return to our ship. The owner, Barry Smith, was very friendly and accommodating. He responded quickly to our emails and took care of all the arrangements.

My wife and I spent a great day at Paradise Cove during our cruise on the Carnival Liberty. Apparently most people come by taxi but we had contacted the owner and made arrangements to be picked up ($35 each for transportation, snorkeling equipment and lunch). We had to walk outside of the main gate but that was only 100 yards from the ship. The beach was far from croweded, the water was smooth nd we saw a lot of coral and fish. We made a 1/2 mile loop around the off-shore islands / reef which took 2 hours and then relaxed on the beach until it was time to return to our ship. The owner, Barry Smith, was very friendly and accommodating. He responded quickly to our emails and took care of all the arrangements.

Fantastic! How long did you have to wait outside the gate for the ride?

Did you take photos?

We are so going to book this for Labor Day.

Archived